Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

People always see different things than I do.

One day I researched "deer" on wikipedia and the entry for me was...

"They're fun to shoot."

And that was it.

And Clay Aiken's entry was hilarious, but both of those no one saw what I saw and I had to doo screen shots for those too.

Ya id say Tommy had a great time out west. I wonder if he was in San Francisco when they had the MLB All-Star Game going on. Goochland Pitcher Justin Verlander didn't do very well last night giving up a run to the National League and his coach Jim Leyland who was the All Star Game manager for the American League said they didn't deserve to win the way they played. I was wanting the National League to win since I am an Atlanta Braves Fan.

Ya id say Tommy had a great time out west. I wonder if he was in San Francisco when they had the MLB All-Star Game going on. Goochland Pitcher Justin Verlander didn't do very well last night giving up a run to the National League and his coach Jim Leyland who was the All Star Game manager for the American League said they didn't deserve to win the way they played. I was wanting the National League to win since I am an Atlanta Braves Fan.

Joey, did you go to City Stadium to watch the Richmond Kickers knock out the LA Galaxy?

I would like to remind all that there are some excellent and unexpected photos of Richmond which can be found at inRich, the Times Dispatch's online server. They don't make it easy, but if you scroll to the bottom of the home page, you'll find your way to a lot of them.

I saw one the other day titled Monroe Ward, which I think Cam, especially, would enjoy. But it has disappeared into the bowels of inRich. Hopefully, it will reappear.

Phil Riggan is among the excellent and dedicated photographers.

Speaking of pictures, some of you may be interested in browsing this set of great Civil War era Richmond pics. I'd seen some of these before, but not all of them. Striking devestation in some of them, but others give great views of downtown from different angles. I was particularly interested in the "before" and "after" pics of Haxall Mill on the canal. Does anyone know the exact location of the old mill? Alcoa? Does any part of the structure remain down there? It looks like the fire pretty much destroyed all of it...

http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/richmond.htm

Speaking of pictures, some of you may be interested in browsing this set of great Civil War era Richmond pics. I'd seen some of these before, but not all of them. Striking devestation in some of them, but others give great views of downtown from different angles. I was particularly interested in the "before" and "after" pics of Haxall Mill on the canal. Does anyone know the exact location of the old mill? Alcoa? Does any part of the structure remain down there? It looks like the fire pretty much destroyed all of it...

http://www.civilwarphotos.net/files/richmond.htm

I'm going to look at the pix in a moment, SG, but Haxall Mill, as I understand it, was at the east end of the canal turning basin which would correspond to about 12th Street between The Omni Hotel and Alcoa's operations at 12th and Byrd Streets. The western end of the turning basin was around 9th street, I believe. Nothing's left of the mill, but the old canal locks connecting to the turning basin from the east are still there and part of the Canal Walk.

Thanks in advance for posting the photos.

Tommyboy may be sleep while the rain dances around his home. He may show up tonight.

Boy I wish that was true! My flight left from Vegas to Cincinnati on July 11th, 8AM PT..and ended up being late for takeoff by 22 minutes. After the 3-1/2 hour plane ride with the time change, we arrived in Cincinnati at 7.12PM ET. Our connector flight for Richmond leaves Cincinnati at 7.25PM ET. We had 13 minutes to get from gate C22 to B12 I think it was. We missed our flight to Richmond, as did 14 other people(heading to Richmond on our flight as well). On our flight from Vegas, 23 people had missed their other flights, all because of Delta. We showed up at our Richmond gate at 7.21PM ET, 4 minutes before departure..only to find out our plane to Richmond left 7 MINUTES EARLY. They couldn't hold the flight for 14 people because they want to keep their 'on-time' reputation. We ended up staying overnight in Cincinnati at the Airport Sheraton. Then the next morning, only to find out the 2 flights to Richmond were fully booked. They had to fly us to NORFOLK where we had to catch a 2 hour cab ride to Richmond. It was horrible, absolutely horrible. That will be the last time you see me on a Delta flight.

I am back home though, and boy is it nice to sleep in my own bed again!

Boy I wish that was true! My flight left from Vegas to Cincinnati on July 11th, 8AM PT..and ended up being late for takeoff by 22 minutes. After the 3-1/2 hour plane ride with the time change, we arrived in Cincinnati at 7.12PM ET. Our connector flight for Richmond leaves Cincinnati at 7.25PM ET. We had 13 minutes to get from gate C22 to B12 I think it was. We missed our flight to Richmond, as did 14 other people(heading to Richmond on our flight as well). On our flight from Vegas, 23 people had missed their other flights, all because of Delta. We showed up at our Richmond gate at 7.21PM ET, 4 minutes before departure..only to find out our plane to Richmond left 7 MINUTES EARLY. They couldn't hold the flight for 14 people because they want to keep their 'on-time' reputation. We ended up staying overnight in Cincinnati at the Airport Sheraton. Then the next morning, only to find out the 2 flights to Richmond were fully booked. They had to fly us to NORFOLK where we had to catch a 2 hour cab ride to Richmond. It was horrible, absolutely horrible. That will be the last time you see me on a Delta flight.

I am back home though, and boy is it nice to sleep in my own bed again!

Other than that, did you enjoy the play, Mr. Lincoln? :lol:

A full report on your western trip, please.

Shady Grove, I have to admit to confusion on the location of both Haxall and Gallego's mills. One (or perhaps) both were on the canal basin as I described, but I'm sure someone here can clarify. See Pictures #118, 670 and 672.

In Picture #445, old St. Paul's church looks so good with its slender steeple. I wish they could restore it.

Many thanks for providing these great fotos.

Edited by burt

Haxall's Mills survived the Evacuation Fire. They have changed a lot since then. The only surviving buildings are directly across Riverfront Plaza to the east and directly behind Riverside to the north.

The buildings in picture 118 are actually Gallegos' ruins. Pic 670 seems to be a darkened zoomed in or panned just a little to the right version of 118. Pic 672 I believe is along Byrd St near either 8th or 9th.

Mill sites