Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

RICHMOND TRAFFIC ALERT: Michael Vick's scheduled appearance at the US District Court on Thursday July 26th is expected to attract so much national and international press, and probably picketers deploring the alleged charges, that it has been decided to close 10th Street between Cary and Bank Streets and Bank Street from 9th to 12th Streets beginning tomorrow (Wednesday) at 6PM until Thursday night at 6PM.

The Federal Court House fronts on both Main and Bank streets east of 10th and just south of Capitol Square. When the new Fed CH on Broad at 7th opens, both buildings will be used by the Feds.

Edited by burt

Thanks Burt... yay media!

Burt I think I asked some time ago but I think you must have missed it. There are a cluster of shacks south of Chickahominy Bluff that's owned by the state. What is this? Was it a campground? It's about to be demolished for Grove Pointe.

Also, I bet you can remember before Laburnam and Parham made arcs around the city. I wish I can find a map from the 1950s of Richmond. That's like the map dark ages!

Thanks Burt... yay media!

Burt I think I asked some time ago but I think you must have missed it. There are a cluster of shacks south of Chickahominy Bluff that's owned by the state. What is this? Was it a campground? It's about to be demolished for Grove Pointe.

Also, I bet you can remember before Laburnam and Parham made arcs around the city. I wish I can find a map from the 1950s of Richmond. That's like the map dark ages!

Oh, sure. In fact I remember when there was no Parham Road at all, much less an arc. And Laburnum Avenue was just another North Side road but I'm not sure where it began nor ended.

I don't recall hearing about Grove Point and am not sure where Chickahominy Bluff is unless it's out on Mechanicsville Tpk. There is an area out US 301 (Chamberlayne Avenue) just south of North Wilkinson Road that has some very nice homes and is near the Chickahominy River. There's a huge mansion back in there on a bluff, and also a predominently black upper middle class neighborhood nearby. Could that be Grove Point?

Edited by burt

No Grove Pointe is a new planned apartment (started out condo) complex with retail right across from Henrico Plaza. The site is currently forest on part of what's left of Maplewood Farm. Chickahominy Bluff is a National Battlefield Park overlooking Mechanicsville to its north. It still has part of the outer defense line intact.

There was no Parham?

http://uptotheminute.mytimesdispatch.com/

Press, protesters and supporters are lining up outside the Fed CH on East Main between 10th and 12th according to breaking news. Networks have paid students to wait in line to reserve space for their reporters inside the courthouse to cover Michael Vick's arrival this afternoon.

Edited by burt

http://uptotheminute.mytimesdispatch.com/

Press, protesters and supporters are lining up outside the Fed CH on East Main between 10th and 12th according to breaking news. Networks have paid students to wait in line to reserve space for their reporters inside the courthouse to cover Michael Vick's arrival this afternoon.

:blush: I think the spectacle has become more important that the trial itself...

I suppose it's a bit callous to say this in light of the trial's seriousness, but I bet BANK and other restaurants and bars downtown do a land-office business today!

When I was in Capital Ale last night a bunch of guys from around US were in town... got them drunk, then they explained they were all camera men... apparently most of the local Hotels are booked both last night and tonight... with a lot of news crews... is there a convention in town also? I didnt think so aside from the Hokie Kickoff Dinner...

Back from vacation :) I would add details, but well..it was one of _those_ vacations ;)

*ahem*

On a lighter, or rather..heavier note, my photobucket accounts have been acting up lately. I'm not sure what the case is, but most of my photos have literally 'vanished.' Ill re-upload what I can when I get the chance.

Welcome back T-Boz. It was one of THOSE CRAZY LAS VEGAS VACATIONS THAT ONLY STAY IN VEGAS eh? Well we won't tell. And hope the photobucket's alright, imagine the fit I'd have.. but then they may be doing me a favor...

Back from vacation :) I would add details, but well..it was one of _those_ vacations ;)

*ahem*

On a lighter, or rather..heavier note, my photobucket accounts have been acting up lately. I'm not sure what the case is, but most of my photos have literally 'vanished.' Ill re-upload what I can when I get the chance.

I bet a quarter you didn't fly Delta! :lol: And I hope it wasn't Northwest with all of its labor related cancellations.

Welcome back, and if you happen to be on Broad Street for First Friday Artwalk, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Welcome back T-Boz. It was one of THOSE CRAZY LAS VEGAS VACATIONS THAT ONLY STAY IN VEGAS eh? Well we won't tell. And hope the photobucket's alright, imagine the fit I'd have.. but then they may be doing me a favor...

Actually, I was in Vegas _3_ weeks ago :P

I bet a quarter you didn't fly Delta! :lol: And I hope it wasn't Northwest with all of its labor related cancellations.

Welcome back, and if you happen to be on Broad Street for First Friday Artwalk, I'll keep an eye out for you.

I have to say I've never been.. I'll definitely have to check it out though!

Burt you have a favorite destination for the art walk? I will be there perusing something... maybe grabbing a bite at "27"...

Actually, I was in Vegas _3_ weeks ago :P

I have to say I've never been.. I'll definitely have to check it out though!

Great, Tommy! If you're near Twenty Seven at Adams and Broad after 8PM this Friday, drop into the restaurant and say hello. I'll be having dinner there.

A note to all... my wife is back in town, so now I get my camera back. I think it has been long enough since anyone has seen some pics of my area. Ill see what I can do.

Also, does anyone know about the Eagle Mill project going on over next to the Kroger on Broad st... I believe the project fronts on Marshall St.

That leads to my next thought... we have a Broad St revitalization thread, would it make sense to have a grace st and marshall st revitalization thread also? It seems to me there are loads of projects on these two corridors also that will play a major role in the future of downtown....

Opinions?