Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

There's talk starting of placing a monument to Oliver Hill on Monument Avenue. I can't think of a more fitting place for one.

I'd welcome it, so long as it's a better piece than the Ashe statue.

I just don't look forward to the SCV (et al)'s inevitable beotching and moaning...

Haha that's great. I noticed your door was open and I was tempted to stop by with my girlfriend, but I thought that red carpet entrance signified an event was going on so I didn't want to intrude.

Wish you could have, We have weddings going every weekend until... December!

Seems every first friday we seem to have a wedding through the season. We have been open with some art from time to time . The building is pretty interesting by itself.

Come on by any time you can, I love to show the place ... :)

I'd welcome it, so long as it's a better piece than the Ashe statue.

I just don't look forward to the SCV (et al)'s inevitable beotching and moaning...

As long as Oliver Hill isn't beating kids with a tennis racket! :lol:

Jon thanks for the offer! I'd love to check the place out sometime.

Burt, think we can get an overall summary of your thoughts and adventures during your brief visit? :thumbsup:

Overall, I was very impressed at progress all around me since my last visit in late March.

All the activity around the new Federal Court House is astonishing. The National (more on that in its thread); work beginning on The Carpenter Theatre, and exciting progress at the M&R Hilton site.

From 5th Street, you can see the topping off of an atrium on M&R's roof. The back doors of the Carpenter stagehouse were open with men and equipment moving around on the site. Murphy's demolition is underway.

Manhattan's Restaurant on 5th Street across from the desolate looking John Marshall is now known as PARADISE RESTAURANT & LOUNGE. I walked in and talked to the manager who pointed out features such as the dance floor, bar and dining area. And he told me that the COTTON CLUB occupied the entire 4th floor of the building. Its entrance is in the rear alley running between 4th and 5th.

I also peeked into a busy PENNY LANE PUB, then wandered back to 6th and Grace to admire the Carpenter Theatre facade. As I strolled west on Grace I looked into the windows of the vacant stores and imagined how they could once again team with retail activity. The Honey Shop on Grace near 4th is still open, but the corner ex-bank which not too long ago housed the infamous CAFEINE's was empty with a semi-smashed front door. Some of the vacant ground-floors of buildings (among them Cokesbury and yes, Berry Burk) look quite unkempt. Cokesbury, especially, is an eyesore.

I walked as far as 2nd Street pushing my face against glass panes of buildings. Thence back to 3rd and north to Broad where I headed east again. Even that horrible block between 3rd and 4th looks better than a few months ago. I took comfort in the knowledge that Prodigy Partnership is planning a large restaurant called CANVAS in buildings along the north side of Broad and thought how small shops would improve the visage of the convention center wall on Broad.

In no particular order, I drove around Rocketts Landing and marveled at the activity. The long building fronting Route 5 looks spectacular from inside the Rocketts property.

The two remaining apartment conversions in Tobacco Row - Lucky Strike and the eastern-most tower (Canal Lofts?) are progressing nicely. I like the lines of red brick that are being exposed, highlighting the otherwise white Canal Lofts. These two buildings bookend Tobacco Row.

I visited the two major suburban Life-Style centers and even made a few purchases at each. West Broad Village is rising out of the ground as is its neighbor which has Short Pump (of course!) in its name. Town Center West also is progressing with Ethan Allen'sfoundation laid.

Reynolds Crossing has three projects sprouting. One is Bon Secours, another The Westin Hotel and the 3rd is, I suppose, the "mystery" structure which will house an unknown tenant.

I toured the beautifully restored Capitol building and afterward stopped into BANK for afternoon refreshment. VAULT, underneath BANK and occupying the entire basement will be offering live and d/j music and dancing beginning in September, I was told. Also owner Mo Roman will open his newest venture next week in the beautifully remodeled SI Tapas Bar in the former IL PAGLIACCI on Lombardy Street.

And CAPITAL ALE HOUSE is amazing. The bar was teeming with humanity at about 5 o'clock on Thursday, and even the new basement bar and beer garden were packed, plus a goodly number of music lovers were listening to a live concert in the new Music Hall.

There was zero activity at the Centennial site. And while checking out the newly decorated Doubletree Hotel at Franklin and Madison (quite nice), I looked all around the exterior of the Presidential Court project by Goodstein & Company and almost every window had an empty look. I hope my eyes were deceiving me and that most of those midtown units have sold - else, Goodstein might think long and hard before beginning construction at 5th and Main.

Visiting the Jefferson I noted that every table in the upper lobby was full with ladies and gentlement partaking of afternoon high tea.

VCU's new campus is making great strides.

More later, if anybody's interested. Have to go to bed. :)

PS: I'm told that Verizon will be moving from its Main Street headquarters to the old C&P Telephone building at 7th and Grace, across from the new Fed CH.

Two other mentions before hitting the sack: Blackfinn on Friday night had a line stretching from its entrance all the way across the plaza to the power plant and the outdoor patio was jammed. I was told there was at least an hour wait. I did go in there Saturday at 6 o'clock and there was a nice sized crowd.

After dining at a very noisy Twenty Seven and peering into Skyy Jazz lounge Friday night, we drove to Libby Hill and all through Church and Union Hills. Things always look different after dark, but it was an interesting and illuminating tour. The streets are not laid out in a grid on Union Hill.

Edited by burt

Overall, I was very impressed at progress all around me since my last visit in late March.

All the activity around the new Federal Court House is astonishing. The National (more on that in its thread); work beginning on The Carpenter Theatre, and exciting progress at the M&R Hilton site.

From 5th Street, you can see the topping off of an atrium on M&R's roof. The back doors of the Carpenter stagehouse were open with men and equipment moving around on the site. Murphy's demolition is underway.

Manhattan's Restaurant on 5th Street across from the desolate looking John Marshall is now known as PARADISE RESTAURANT & LOUNGE. I walked in and talked to the manager who pointed out features such as the dance floor, bar and dining area. And he told me that the COTTON CLUB occupied the entire 4th floor of the building. Its entrance is in the rear alley running between 4th and 5th.

I also peeked into a busy PENNY LANE PUB, then wandered back to 6th and Grace to admire the Carpenter Theatre facade. As I strolled west on Grace I looked into the windows of the vacant stores and imagined how they could once again team with retail activity. The Honey Shop on Grace near 4th is still open, but the corner ex-bank which not too long ago housed the infamous CAFEINE's was empty with a semi-smashed front door. Some of the vacant ground-floors of buildings (among them Cokesbury and yes, Berry Burk) look quite unkempt. Cokesbury, especially, is an eyesore.

I walked as far as 2nd Street pushing my face against glass panes of buildings. Thence back to 3rd and north to Broad where I headed east again. Even that horrible block between 3rd and 4th looks better than a few months ago. I took comfort in the knowledge that Prodigy Partnership is planning a large restaurant called CANVAS in buildings along the north side of Broad and thought how small shops would improve the visage of the convention center wall on Broad.

In no particular order, I drove around Rocketts Landing and marveled at the activity. The long building fronting Route 5 looks spectacular from inside the Rocketts property.

The two remaining apartment conversions in Tobacco Row - Lucky Strike and the eastern-most tower (Canal Lofts?) are progressing nicely. I like the lines of red brick that are being exposed, highlighting the otherwise white Canal Lofts. These two buildings bookend Tobacco Row.

I visited the two major suburban Life-Style centers and even made a few purchases at each. West Broad Village is rising out of the ground as is its neighbor which has Short Pump (of course!) in its name. Town Center West also is progressing with Ethan Allen'sfoundation laid.

Reynolds Crossing has three projects sprouting. One is Bon Secours, another The Westin Hotel and the 3rd is, I suppose, the "mystery" structure which will house an unknown tenant.

I toured the beautifully restored Capitol building and afterward stopped into BANK for afternoon refreshment. VAULT, underneath BANK and occupying the entire basement will be offering live and d/j music and dancing beginning in September, I was told. Also owner Mo Roman will open his newest venture next week in the beautifully remodeled SI Tapas Bar in the former IL PAGLIACCI on Lombardy Street.

And CAPITAL ALE HOUSE is amazing. The bar was teeming with humanity at about 5 o'clock on Thursday, and even the new basement bar and beer garden were packed, plus a goodly number of music lovers were listening to a live concert in the new Music Hall.

There was zero activity at the Centennial site. And while checking out the newly decorated Doubletree Hotel at Franklin and Madison (quite nice), I looked all around the exterior of the Presidential Court project by Goodstein & Company and almost every window had an empty look. I hope my eyes were deceiving me and that most of those midtown units have sold - else, Goodstein might think long and hard before beginning construction at 5th and Main.

Visiting the Jefferson I noted that every table in the upper lobby was full with ladies and gentlement partaking of afternoon high tea.

VCU's new campus is making great strides.

More later, if anybody's interested. Have to go to bed. :)

PS: I'm told that Verizon will be moving from its Main Street headquarters to the old C&P Telephone building at 7th and Grace, across from the new Fed CH.

Two other mentions before hitting the sack: Blackfinn on Friday night had a line stretching from its entrance all the way across the plaza to the power plant and the outdoor patio was jammed. I was told there was at least an hour wait. I did go in there Saturday at 6 o'clock and there was a nice sized crowd.

After dining at a very noisy Twenty Seven and peering into Skyy Jazz lounge Friday night, we drove to Libby Hill and all through Church and Union Hills. Things always look different after dark, but it was an interesting and illuminating tour. The streets are not laid out in a grid on Union Hill.

Thanks Burt, that was quite enlightening. I would have to agree with you about the lack of visible progress in some projects (Centennial, storefronts along Grace, and Eastern end of Broad). Living in the direct area I am directly impacted by any number of those projects. As it is now, I have taken on walking to the Kroger to get my groceries... thus my recent jaunts along Marshall Street. In this heat it is nearly impossible. Which is why I am awaiting the replanting of numerous trees around the city, especially coupled with the re-cobbling of the streets, the burying of the power lines, and the bricking of the sidewalks (one can dream cant they).

Ill keep venturing out and taking pictures more now that I have a camera again.

I'm sure everyone will rejoice over the announcement that Miss Jenna Bush will wed Mr. Henry Hager. ;) The prospective groom is the son of a former Lt. Governor of Virginia who makes his home in Richmond while the jubilant bride-to-be is one of the non-identical twin daughters of Mr. and Mrs. George Bush who reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington.

The couple has been seen on more than one occasion enjoying meals in Richmond restaurants while secret service personnel hovered in the background.