Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Sorry I haven't been on much guys but I had to take care with a bunch of College stuff. Plus I start College on Monday at J Sarge.

No sweat man! That's where I started out at: J Sarge. After a year of J Sarge, I transferred to UVA. Community College is a good stepping stone to the next level! Good luck!

Congratulations on your entry to higher education, Joey. Will you be on the Henrico, Goochland or Downtown campus of JSR?

This has been a productive summer for you. You got your driving license and found a girl friend, and now you are about to matriculate to college. :thumbsup:

Yea I will be on the Parham Road campus as most people call it Parham Road University :lol:. But ya the girlfriend thing is over she chewed me out for something I shouldn't of done which was harrasing her by calling her everyday. I always would worry about her and I couldn't stop thinking about her and some days I would call her every hour she didn't pick up the phone. But ya its over with and im lookin forward to meet the chicks at J Sarge.

Yea I will be on the Parham Road campus as most people call it Parham Road University :lol: . But ya the girlfriend thing is over she chewed me out for something I shouldn't of done which was harrasing her by calling her everyday. I always would worry about her and I couldn't stop thinking about her and some days I would call her every hour she didn't pick up the phone. But ya its over with and im lookin forward to meet the chicks at J Sarge.

Hahaha. You've just learned one of life's big lessons...never harass a new g/f -- or even an old one. :lol:

Good luck on the Parham Road University campus.

Yea I will be on the Parham Road campus as most people call it Parham Road University :lol:. But ya the girlfriend thing is over she chewed me out for something I shouldn't of done which was harrasing her by calling her everyday. I always would worry about her and I couldn't stop thinking about her and some days I would call her every hour she didn't pick up the phone. But ya its over with and im lookin forward to meet the chicks at J Sarge.

You've gotta be more secure in your relationship than that! She probably thought that you didn't trust her because you called so much. Gotta shake the jealousy thing...well, better luck next time. Huh? Hang in there fella. You've learned this lesson...but you've got many more to learn. :)

I'm sure everyone will rejoice over the announcement that Miss Jenna Bush will wed Mr. Henry Hager. ;) The prospective groom is the son of a former Lt. Governor of Virginia who makes his home in Richmond while the jubilant bride-to-be is one of the non-identical twin daughters of Mr. and Mrs. George Bush who reside at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington.

The couple has been seen on more than one occasion enjoying meals in Richmond restaurants while secret service personnel hovered in the background.

I'm very much excited although I probably won't get an invite... typical of St. C weddings of my "friends" and acquaintances. Henry was in the class before mine and we've crossed paths many times for at least 12 years. We were both on the Varsity football team, although I was a manager. I last saw him at his graduation, but I've met his parents on a couple times and the last time at MWC I told them to tell him hi. I wonder if they remembered. But personally, I'm excited that someone I know is in the spotlight nationally for something positive too!

Edited by Cadeho

Good luck Joey and enjoy the college experience... boy do I ever wish I were young again. Those were the days! And don't tell me you were one of those clingy boyfriends... they need space like you do!

Yea I will be on the Parham Road campus as most people call it Parham Road University :lol: . But ya the girlfriend thing is over she chewed me out for something I shouldn't of done which was harrasing her by calling her everyday. I always would worry about her and I couldn't stop thinking about her and some days I would call her every hour she didn't pick up the phone. But ya its over with and im lookin forward to meet the chicks at J Sarge.

Women today... cant appreciate a guy actually wanting them... ;) So, having successfully courted one of todays 'firecrackers', I suggest the space method, IE, give them lots of space and leave them ALWAYS wanting more. Women are very headstrong like us men now, so we have to respect that...

Oh and there was a popular song not too long ago... 'everywhere I go, east to west, college girls are easy'... oh and one last piece of advice, Always BE PREPARED :)

Here's a bit of rushed, unscientific trivia. Purusing the FIRST PAGES ONLY of all cities on Urban Planet's Southeast Forum, only Orlando and Charlotte exceed Richmond in number of hits in the "view" column. That's pretty impressive when you consider postings in large cities like Atlanta, Miami, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham and a lot of others.

Greenville, SC had two topics viewed by more than 100,000, but their first-page total didn't quite equal Richmond's. Greensville has a couple of PR guys pushing their attractive city, and I guess we do, too. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooops! Correction: On re-count, those rascals in Greenville beat out Richmond by about 50,000 hits. So, the FIRST PAGE ranking is Orlando, Charlotte, Greenville and Richmond in that order.

Edited by burt

Here's a bit of rushed, unscientific trivia. Purusing the FIRST PAGES ONLY of all cities on Urban Planet's Southeast Forum, only Orlando and Charlotte exceed Richmond in number of hits in the "view" column. That's pretty impressive when you consider postings in large cities like Atlanta, Miami, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Nashville, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham and a lot of others.

Greenville, SC had two topics viewed by more than 100,000, but their first-page total didn't quite equal Richmond's. Greensville has a couple of PR guys pushing their attractive city, and I guess we do, too. :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooops! Correction: On re-count, those rascals in Greenville beat out Richmond by about 50,000 hits. So, the FIRST PAGE ranking is Orlando, Charlotte, Greenville and Richmond in that order.

Here is an unscientific reply to this unscientific survey... (which was highly enlightening, thanks Burt)... could it then be said that cities that are still growing and are STRATEGICALLY located for business and family growth are also enjoying a large population of people who are concerned about the design of their cities (like us)?

90 Day Synopsis

Well, it's been 3 months since my transition and I decided to share some thoughts.

1. I would consider this a good place to raise a family (good neighborhoods and schools given area code, easy commutes, flexiblity to other larger metro areas)

2. I would not consider this a good place for young (single) professionals for several reasons (jobs, cost of living as a bachelor/bachelorette, etc...)

3. As far as things to do, I have to say it is acceptable giving the city size (at least for the summer). I'm not sure if my opinion will maintain the same during the fall/winter months.

All of my friends and family who have visited me have enjoyed sightseeing and wine and dining. There are many things about Richmond, from the history to the rare gems, that make this a wonderful city. I like this City in my mid 20s; I would probaly love it in my mid 30s. Needless to say, I would love to see what it will do to keep youngsters like myself who will often flock to the Raleigh's, Charlotte's, and Philly that mix jobs/culture/service at a consistent level.

I will continue to enjoy this City while on work assignment but look forward to my next venture.

90 Day Synopsis

Well, it's been 3 months since my transition and I decided to share some thoughts.

1. I would consider this a good place to raise a family (good neighborhoods and schools given area code, easy commutes, flexiblity to other larger metro areas)

2. I would not consider this a good place for young (single) professionals for several reasons (jobs, cost of living as a bachelor/bachelorette, etc...)

3. As far as things to do, I have to say it is acceptable giving the city size (at least for the summer). I'm not sure if my opinion will maintain the same during the fall/winter months.

All of my friends and family who have visited me have enjoyed sightseeing and wine and dining. There are many things about Richmond, from the history to the rare gems, that make this a wonderful city. I like this City in my mid 20s; I would probaly love it in my mid 30s. Needless to say, I would love to see what it will do to keep youngsters like myself who will often flock to the Raleigh's, Charlotte's, and Philly that mix jobs/culture/service at a consistent level.

I will continue to enjoy this City while on work assignment but look forward to my next venture.

Thanks for your perspective cityhopper. I'm a young(ish), single professional myself and I'm surprised you find cost of living an issue here but I guess it all depends on what part of town you live in. The unfortunate souls to the north of us would scoff at the notion that this is an expensive city to live in. The apartments and townhouses in the West End are notorious for being over-priced though considering how far you have to drive to get into the city. Downtown apartments can be semi-pricey though often many utilities and amenities are included and nightlife and culture are right outside of your door. Of the cities you named Philly would be the only one of interest to me. Guess I prefer cities with a bit of history and character to them. Raleigh is drawing young folks by the truckload because of the high-tech jobs offered by the research triangle but the city itself while nice leaves a bit to be desired, at least from my experiences. Don't know a thing about Charlotte except that there are lots of "new" buildings there. A personal turn off for me ;) I hope you keep us posted on your experiences here and in future cities and if I may ask, what part of town do you live in and what areas do you like to frequent?

Cityhopper why not give the really big cities a chance like, San Francisco, Chicago and especially, New York? If you're a bit restless in your mid-20s in Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, or even Atlanta, you owe it to yourself to spread your wings. Cost of living be damned! Plenty of time to readjust your style back to a more sedate pace after sampling the high life.

But, each month you remain in Richmond you'll discover it's livlier than you think. If you do move on, I hope your Richmond memories will keep calling you back.

You haven't visited this site for quite a while. It's good to read your comments again.

Cityhopper why not give the really big cities a chance like, San Francisco, Chicago and especially, New York? If you're a bit restless in your mid-20s in Richmond, Raleigh, Charlotte, or even Atlanta, you owe it to yourself to spread your wings. Cost of living be damned! Plenty of time to readjust your style back to a more sedate pace after sampling the high life.

But, each month you remain in Richmond you'll discover it's livlier than you think. If you do move on, I hope your Richmond memories will keep calling you back.

You haven't visited this site for quite a while. It's good to read your comments again.

I would love to say I have memories of Richmond myself... but I cant seem to remember what I am doing - although I always find these receipts in my pockets the next day, and it looks like I am having a good time. Maybe going to capital ale all the time isnt a good thing? Then again, what I dont remember doesnt happen right ;)

:w00t:

'm a young(ish), single professional myself and I'm surprised you find cost of living an issue here but I guess it all depends on what part of town you live in.

I actually lived in a very nice flat and townhome in Atlanta at very reasonable rates. I have an apt in the Bottom, paying 800 (no utilities), streeting parking, <650 sq ft. Now, I chose the particular location due to some amenity choices, but I have had more problems at this place than even some of the dumpy apartments I lived in during College on the Peninsula.

I hope you keep us posted on your experiences here and in future cities and if I may ask, what part of town do you live in and what areas do you like to frequent?

Live in downtown (one of the highest rated apartments in the City) and work South of the City. I pretty much frequent the Shockoe Bottom spots. I have yet to venture into the VCU/Fan spots; I figured it would be more of a younger college crowd.

Cityhopper, how long are you planning on staying in Richmond?

Well, some of it will depend on my job. I would expect no longer than another 6-9 months.

Cityhopper why not give the really big cities a chance like...

Well, my first response is cost but in the process of considering an impending job transfer opportunity I am trying to be open to more locations. I'm looking to begin my Masters next year, so Philadelphia, DC, and Orlando are on the short list. Yeah, I Know, FLORIDA, but I got a pretty good offer from them (so....). I was originally looking at UofR but the package was not competitive as I would have like and I would have to wait til Fall '08 to begin coursework.

BTW, my SO, is too much of a punk to do the West Coast :(

Maybe going to capital ale all the time isnt a good thing?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! I love going to Havana, thats a nice little spot.

I KNOW this is not my last venture in Richmond or VA for that matter. I am going to enjoy my time down here until I make an alternate decision. I have no doubts that when my SO and I settle down to have a family we will live either in Central VA or NOVA. For now, I guess I have more "cities to hop" too!!!!!!!!!!!

We have no Higher Education thread here, but I think the following, from articles today by Gary Robertson at inRich, lends prestige to the University of Richmond.

The University has just been named by Newsweek as the hottest college in the Nation for its attention to International Studies.

Reports Robertson: "More than half of the 3000-student university's undergraduates study abroad. And the University has more than 200 International students on campus representing more than 70 countries".

By contrast, downtown's Virginia Commonwealth University with 31,000 enrollments has 1100 International students on its campus.

To bolster its International reputation, it was announced yesterday that Carole Weinstein has donated $9 million toward construction of a 40,000 s/f International Center on the beautiful University of Richmond campus in the far West End.

Check out these stories:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...08-23-0165.html

http://www.timesdispatch.com/content/cva/r...08-23-0181.html

Edited by burt

More light downtown... VCU has added a neat white stripe on the eastern wing of its Main Hospital. I wonder if they'll carry it over to the new tower? Anyway, that is the kind of lighting they need to put on City Hall... not burned-out strings of Christmas lights!

Storms... those darn storms won't go away!!! I am so tired of the superheated weather and the electrically charged air... it is just not conducive to picture taking!

I am getting ready to begin reviewing your pictures, but the sheer number of them might take some time with breaks in between. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to them.