Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Sorry to be MIA, but am very involved in a project and don't have a lot of free time...not even enough to visit BowTie!

But I shall return!

Completely OT but I had a chance to make it over to a shall remain nameless area of cyberspace to see the Rich. v Norfolk v. ATL thread. Needless to say if certain people found that it would be over :rofl:. Quite an interesting discussion though I must say. :lol:

lol I noticed... and you're not OT because this is the richmond off-topic thread :thumbsup:...... by the way I put out the feelers to help you with the rosslyn thing. I might not know for a couple days though...

Cool, thanks. It's just so strange to me that I can find no info on that project past april.

It's official!

Born and raised in Richmond by the Martin Advertising Agency, the Geico Gecko took the top spot for America's favorite advertising icon! He shares it with Juan Valdez.. the Colombian Coffee guy...They beat out 24 other heavy-hitting ad icons.

In a prepared statement released by his handlers, the gecko said, "It's an honor just to be nominated. And to share this honor with Juan Valdez, well, that's just flattering."

So what's next?

"The thing to do would be to take some time off, yeah? Sort of enjoy the limelight or whatever. Have a little celebration. But that's not me. I like to work. I like to save people money on their car insurance. That's the real reward."

Steve Bassett, creative director for the GEICO account, said the gecko has evolved.

"He's only been in the ad icon business for five years, and already he's won the top award. I just hope it doesn't go to his head."

Gecko Rocks the Vote!

lol I noticed... and you're not OT because this is the richmond off-topic thread :thumbsup:...... by the way I put out the feelers to help you with the rosslyn thing. I might not know for a couple days though...

What are you and vdogg talking about? What's this ORF - RIC - ATL cyberspace thing?

:huh:

Edited by burt

lol he noticed something on RCW in regards to those cities.... and I was trying to help him with a question about developments in NOVA.... :thumbsup:

Should I read this piece on RCW, and if so, under what heading would I find it? If it's one of those long rambling diatribes which some contributors are fond of, I'll bypass.

I just found 2 fantastic reads.....they are from Airtran's In-flight Magazine and wonderfully talk up Richmond to all who fly on Aitran's wings....

Richmond article 1

Richmond, Va: the Rich Life

"Boasting a rich history, awe-inspiring architecture and a redeveloped downtown, Richmond, VA is one of the Southeast’s premier cultural hotspots....

.....As a center of innovation, Richmond created the armor for the world’s first ironclad ship, the CSS Virginia, and was also the site of the country’s first electric streetcar system in 1888. In the world of art and culture, Richmond is home to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts-the first state-supported art museum in the US and the largest in the Southeast.......

.......The country’s first African-American-owned and operated bank (the Savings Bank of the Grand Fountain, United Order of True Reformers) opened in the city in 1888. Fifteen years later, the city saw entrepreneur Maggie L Walker become the country’s first female bank president, forming the bank that would later become the Consolidated Bank and Trust Company-now the oldest surviving African-American bank in the country. Richmonder Arthur Ashe Jr, who in 1975 became the first African-American to win Wimbledon, firmly marks the city’s place in sports history. Another black history first took place in 1990, when L Douglas Wilder, the grandson of slaves, became the first elected African-American governor in the country...........

...........Richmond has the distinction of being the only capital city in the US with bald eagles inside the city limits, according to Ralph White, manager of James River Park. And the park, with 550 acres of shoreline, islands and seven miles of rapids, is a good place to spot them. Daredevils will enjoy the Class 5-rated rapids............"

very good exposure. The article even promotes the National Folk Festival coming up next weekend.... enjoy!

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Richmond has been getting its share of network and cable TV exposure lately with the Taylor Behl tragedy. Unfortunately, it's the kind of publicity that everyone abhors. NBC Dateline is devoting a full hour to the story this coming Sunday. Even with the terrorist threats here in NYCity, the discovery and identification of Taylor's body is major news -especially on Cable. It's a horrible time for her family and friends.

A facelift for THE RICHMOND TIMES DISPATCH! Glenn Proctor has been named Execitive Editor. He recently held that position at the Newark Star Ledger. Though he will have no editorial power, it's likely the newspaper will take a decided lean away from its conservative base.

Proctor,an African-American and former Marine, has an enviable journalistic background. He's a big plus for Richmond and the entire state.

A facelift for THE RICHMOND TIMES DISPATCH! Glenn Proctor has been named Execitive Editor. He recently held that position at the Newark Star Ledger. Though he will have no editorial power, it's likely the newspaper will take a decided lean away from its conservative base.

Proctor,an African-American and former Marine, has an enviable journalistic background. He's a big plus for Richmond and the entire state.

why is moving from a conservative view better?

because having a balanced view is much better than either a conservative bias or a liberal one. The TD flat out leans to the right. It should teeter back toward the center...it would be a good thing!

Well since that 90% of any type of media leans left I think it wouldn't hurt for it to stay on the right.