Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I'm nicknaming Tommy the Postcard Kid for all the places he's been JUST THIS YEAR!

Haha, just a few.. :) I've never been that far into New England. I'm thinking a road trip to Hartford, Providence, Boston, Cape Cod, and Portland. Gas is CHEAP..er than it has been. The Liberty and 7-Eleven over here have it for $2.50, it's about time!

Ya last time I filled up my Jeep I got Gas at the Exxon on Patterson for 2.76. Its not too cheap but its close to where I live.

Anyways I will be in Williamsburg for tomorrow. Be back later on tomorrow. I havent been on here much cause I just got an ebay account to sell baseball cards and am making a nice profit on some stuff so thats the reason for my absence. But I have beem keeping up and hope to hear good things on monday with the new marina and our new Female Cheif Adminstrator.

Edited by Downtowner

Ya last time I filled up my Jeep I got Gas at the Exxon on Patterson for 2.76. Its not too cheap but its close to where I live.

Anyways I will be in Williamsburg for tomorrow. Be back later on tomorrow. I havent been on here much cause I just got an ebay account to sell baseball cards and am making a nice profit on some stuff so thats the reason for my absence. But I have beem keeping up and hope to hear good things on monday with the new marina and our new Female Cheif Adminstrator.

Good for you, Joey -- The baseball card mogul!!! Glad to hear you are making money in ebay trades. Have a good time in Williamsburg.

And Tommy, thanks for the tip on cheap gas. Exactly where are Liberty and 7-Eleven out your way? I'll use them to fill-up the little silver pick-up.

You better hurry if you want to enjoy the fall colors in New England. You'll LOVE Boston and Providence among the cities you're planning to visit. Boston, IMO, is the most European of cities, excluding Montreal and Quebec City. Providence, with its rebuilt rivers, is the finest example of city rejuvination in the country...again, IMO.

Edited by burt

And Tommy, thanks for the tip on cheap gas. Exactly where are Liberty and 7-Eleven out your way? I'll use them to fill-up the little silver pick-up.

You better hurry if you want to enjoy the fall colors in New England. You'll LOVE Boston and Providence among the cities you're planning to visit. Boston, IMO, is the most European of cities, excluding Montreal and Quebec City. Providence, with its rebuilt rivers, is the finest example of city rejuvination in the country...again, IMO.

No problem, the 7-Eleven is on the corner of Pouncey Tract and Broad, directly across Pouncey Tract from Wachovia. The Liberty is next to Wachovia on Broad, near the TGI Fridays in the Downtown Short Pump shopping center. The Shell Station that I use most often usually has the cheapest, but I didn't pass it along the way last night..I wouldn't be surprised if that had it in the 2.40's..it's on Broad across from SPTC next to the Promenade Shops where Plow and Hearth is.

Completely agree with your opinions of those two New England cities, I'm already anxious about the trip :) If I don't get a chance to take time off to go this fall, I'll make it a point to go either in the spring or summer.

No problem, the 7-Eleven is on the corner of Pouncey Tract and Broad, directly across Pouncey Tract from Wachovia. The Liberty is next to Wachovia on Broad, near the TGI Fridays in the Downtown Short Pump shopping center. The Shell Station that I use most often usually has the cheapest, but I didn't pass it along the way last night..I wouldn't be surprised if that had it in the 2.40's..it's on Broad across from SPTC next to the Promenade Shops where Plow and Hearth is.

Completely agree with your opinions of those two New England cities, I'm already anxious about the trip :) If I don't get a chance to take time off to go this fall, I'll make it a point to go either in the spring or summer.

Thanks again. That's the area in which I'll do my gas hunting.

It amazes me that the richest people get the cheapest gas...

I find the cheap gas to be anywhere not near a highway. And speaking about gas prices, one day on Williamsburg Rd (I should have stopped and taken a picture) gas stations directly across the street from each other had gas $1 apart from each other... I wonder, where would I go, $3 gas or $2 gas?

This was sent to all Chesterfield County Employees, maybe from someone very high up in the administration :whistling:

You may have seen or heard about the article in STYLE Weekly earlier this week about Chesterfield County. Because of the unwarranted and offensive nature of some of the content, I wanted you to know what we have done to address the concerns that we all have about the unfair and demeaning comments that were made. As public servants, we all recognize that policy issues are open to scrutiny, but personal attacks on our employees will not go unchallenged.

My sentiments have been expressed directly to the Leadership of Style Weekly. In addition, we have been contacted by a number of business leaders who have indicated that they, too, will express their displeasure to the magazine

Chesterfield County needs thicker skin. I don't think anything was off target really. I'd be against allowing the Cloverleaf property go the way of a tax-exempt use because it is strategically located to be produce tax revenue. The Cloverleaf development would be commendable if it was part of a broader move by the county to gentrify decaying areas instead of churning up more and more greenfield for new development.

Chesterfield County needs thicker skin. I don't think anything was off target really. I'd be against allowing the Cloverleaf property go the way of a tax-exempt use because it is strategically located to be produce tax revenue. The Cloverleaf development would be commendable if it was part of a broader move by the county to gentrify decaying areas instead of churning up more and more greenfield for new development.

When Style begins printing pix of those nasty Chesterfieldians who fail to pledge will the magazine also publish photos of its staff? Although its written tongue-in-cheek with an edge, this story doesn't even have a by-line.

Style, which provides some excellent award-winning stories (many often quoted in these pages) is published under the aegis of The Norfolk Virginian Pilot. Its less frequently awarded sister magazine in Hampton Roads is called Port Folio.

Edited by burt

I have to leave my apartment tomorrow at 5AM to take the E-train to Jamaica Station, then transfer there to the Air Train. Actual ground transportation time ($6 total for seniors :) )is an hour and 20 minutes from 42nd and 8th to Jet Blue terminal at JFK, but they require early check-in, which is why I'm leaving so early. Arrive RIC about 9:40am.

So, you won't be seeing me on here until October 17th.

Ciao! And Viva Richmond!!

Got this in an email..haha, definitely worth sharing!

You know youre from Richmond when..

* You know what 'pony pasture' is and know it really has nothing to do with either a pasture or ponies

* You know what Arthur Ashe has in common with Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson

* The kids with the multicolored hair and piercings are probably from VCU

* You've been to the midnight movie. Probably in your pajamas

* You know how to pronounce Parham and Powhite correctly... and get pissed when non-Richmonders don't.

* You know that by 'snow' we usually mean slush or ice... and that the entire city shuts down for it...

* When you say 'The Braves' you don't mean Atlanta

* It doesn't confuse you that the nickel bridge doesn't cost a nickel

* You remember when short pump was farmland, and probably beotch about big business ruining the landscape ... but still go there on a weekly basis to shop/see movies. Except on Friday and Saturday nights. Because that's just suicide.

* You've been to Brusters and probably know at least 2 people who work there. Ditto for King's Dominion.

* You know it can be 70 degress. one day and 40 degrees. the next and not think that's strange... but somehow, it's always humid.

* 90% of your senior class went to VA Tech, JMU, or 'The Other University'

* One word. Ukrops: where 25% of your school has worked as a bag-boy at one point in their life. And you know that on Sundays you're gonna have to settle for Kroger... and you don't even TRY to buy alcohol there-- cuz they don't have any.

* You know that y'all is an actual word

* You can go from high-end Cary street to Carytown to the ghetto in a matter of minutes

* You know the difference between Carytown, Shockoe Slip, Shockoe Bottom, the Fan, Forest Hill, and downtown

* You've been to Belle Isle or Brown's Island . And yes, you've gone to Friday Cheers

* You know that Robin Inn isn't actually a hotel and The Tobacco Company isn't actually a warehouse, and don't get confused by that

# You learned about Jamestown and Williamsburg and Roanoke in your elementary school history classes. Every year. And went on field trips to each at least twice

# You scoff at Subway and know that REAL subs (note, not hoagies) come from Stuffys or Bernies

# You know it's called U of R. Not Richmond. And yes, you've fed the ducks.

# You don't get weirded out when the roads suddenly turn to cobblestone and then back to pavement.

# You remember when Regency was the cool mall. And when Willow Lawn didn't have any national chain stores.

# You know which streets are one-way. Which, once you're downtown, are all of them.

# You know where the secret parking lots are in Carytown and downtown

# You can't go anywhere without seeing at least one person that you know or the person you're with knows

# You've been to the Watermelon Festival and/or the Greek Festival (woohoo) and/or Arts in the Park. Probably every year.

# You've watched the fireworks at Dogwood Dell... or at least had a picnic there or joined some rooftop party in the fan to check out the Diamond fireworks.

# You can drive an hour from Chester to Hanover and still consider yourself in Richmond

# You know that you can arrive at RIC airport only 30 minutes early and still make the plane... and you actually EXPECT it to look totally different every time you go

# You know someone who has worked, does work, or will work at Phillip Morris & dated at least 10 people at Capital One.

# You know what the rivaH is... and know that it's probably more correct to say the bay

# You've been to the quarry

# You know the goodness that is Carytown Burgers and Fries

# You know that the country's capitol, the first English settlement, the hills, the mountains, and the beach are all about an hour away... but probably rarely take advantage of that... and still complain that there's nothing to do

# You remember the ibook stampede of '05

# 2 words. BOTTOMS UP. and you know that doesn't mean gettin drunk

# At some point in your life, you've gone paddle-boating at Byrd Park

# You've driven around the city on the tacky l ights tour. And probably rented a limo and dressed up for it... and you don't think that's odd

# You've also been to Mexico... and you know that doesn't mean the country.

# ..and if you haven't gotten up at 5:45 am to workout with SEAL Team PT members, you should.

Edited by TBurban

Journi, were you referring to the Westin at Virginia Beach Town Center or The new Hilton at 31st and Atlantic Avenue on the boardwalk? In my youth, that site used to be a small amusement park. The Hilton is where Tommy stayed -- not The Westin which he describes in its sunset glory above. :)

Bruce Smith's proejct is in the Town Center, the Hilton is at 31st Street, where I used to go to the beach, so the answer is yes, that is what I meant ;)