Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Burt, I'm still researching neighborhoods... I may need to go over my tracks again in the end for any smaller neighborhoods I may have skipped. For the most part, the West End, East End, and Northside are done... now the nightmare of Southside!

Well I have basically covered everything within the 1916 corporation line in southside and Westover Hills. Now the suburban land annexed in 1970...

You're right, Joey -- it is quiet in here. Wonder what has happened to Cam and Journi?

I'll take this opportunity to kvetch about parking downtown -- or at least, my impressions of the problem:

Downtown Richmond should put its heads together and figure out a parking solution that will welcome visitors, shoppers as well as concert/theatre/restaurant goers.

End of rant.

Hey Burt and the rest !

On the parking issues.....

So We have a Dedicated "PASSENGER LOADING ZONE" posted in front of our building. When we had a wedding a few weeks ago, It was full so the Limo stopped with flashers on to retreive the bride and groom. The happy guests lit their sparklers and prepared for them to appear and leave. JUST as they did the city police pulled up behind the LIMO and turned on the lights. Got out and dressed down the driver for saftey in a driving lane. While the guest watched.. the sparklers died out and some gest left. Thanks god the photographer had sense enough to keep shooting to distract them..

Call the 4th precinct LT. Monday

was told to talk to lanier parking for enforcment.

Got through to a nice lady who was getting the info about the property then stopped cold to tell me they don't work past 6 pm... the zone if from 6pm to 5am..............

Go figure?

First things first!

Tommy, you can be my Secretary of State when I'm elected to whatever position you've nominated me. (Pop-up emoticoms are not working, but you can believe there'd be a BIG grin here.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cam, keep working on the neighborhood research. Looking forward to the results.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jon, you probably know more about the anomalies of Richmond's parking situation than anyone. You have my deepest sympathy.

Edited by burt

I found this story in today's inRich quite interesting. If encouraged by local music/theatre/dance organizations under the aegis of Richmond Center Stage, it could perhaps evolve into a sort of Spoletto Festival spawned at the Sperryville "theatre house" and culminate in an annual performing arts affair in Richmond theatres.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...11-04-0091.html

I found this story in today's inRich quite interesting. If encouraged by local music/theatre/dance organizations under the aegis of Richmond Center Stage, it could perhaps evolve into a sort of Spoletto Festival spawned at the Sperryville "theatre house" and culminate in an annual performing arts affair in Richmond theatres.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...11-04-0091.html

Now THAT would be cool. There is so much going on with the performing arts in Richmond, but I feel like I only hear about the live music.

Jon, you probably know more about the anomalies of Richmond's parking situation than anyone. You have my deepest sympathy.

I wasn't going to share this personal story because I became embarrassingly irate, but I decided to add to the discussion of parking issues. About a month ago, I parked at a garage on Cary across from Europa. After a wonderful meal, I arrived at the exit gate only to realize I'd forgotten to get a validation from Europa. No problem. I quickly ran across the street and retrieved one. When I put in the parking stub and then the validation ticket, the machine read "invalid ticket". No problem. I ran across to Europa again and got another validation, ran back across the street and realized the machine hadn't given me back the parking stub. It had reset and now wanted a stub, which I didn't have, to show when the car came into the lot.

I tried standing on the weight sensors at the entrance and punching the button for a new ticket, but I obviously wasn't heavy enough. I had to press "lost ticket' which was $16 dollars. I then put in the validation again (hoping at least to get $5 taken off the charge, but the machine rejected it as invalid). By this time there was a line of cars waiting to exit. So I ended up paying $16 for 'free' parking. By the end of this ordeal I was screaming obscenities and hitting the payment/exit equipment, and at one point tried to hold up the gate to get the car under it, but realized this wouldn't work. I will NEVER go into this garage again, unless I'm with some strong, adventurous buddies and/or a sledgehammer to escape should I be so flagrantly robbed again.

McLaw, you could not have expressed frustrstion better!!! With all the unemployed job seekers, why on earth can't these behemoths calling themselves "garages" hire a few attendants? I LOATHE this new mechanical world!!!!

That very garage is the one where I backed up traffic when trying to use a credit card to exit the damned place. But I have to acknowledge that the lone female attendant, who was in an office and came out to assist me, was most pleasant.

People can say what they will about suburbs, but free parking is a big selling point in their favor. In this increasingly automotive age, downtowns with their costly and frustrating parking situations are at a big disadvantage.

I hate computer technology in general. The other day I tried to use a Gift Card and it rejected it when it had $5 on it. Im beginning to wish computers never made friends with paying for stuff. Because all it is is a pain in the but. Its supposed to actually make it easier but instead techonology likes to make it hard on everyone.

You should use the Lanier deck at 12th and Canal... only $1 at night and walking the extra block or two or three along the Slip is far from unpleasant.

You're right about the Lanier deck, Coupe -- at least on Sundays. Several months ago when I was a "canal boat tour guide" for my 15 relatives, we all parked there for one buck per carload. AND, there was an attendant on duty!!!

Someone told me that the Martin Agency deck at 13th and Cary is free -- sometimes. Does anyone know if that is true?

It's free to people dining at certain restaurants nearby. Otherwise I think it's $3 at night.

My old lady friend parked there for free when she went to the Buddy Guy concert at Toads. Or, so she says. But we oldsters occasionally get things confused. :)

Edited by burt

Is the city's assessor's office's propert search down for anyone else? It's been down all week and I have not been able to do my research... one reason I've been posting a lot this week.

I was told that the city was in the process of getting on board with a new host for their GIS site. It should be a lot faster once the changeover is done.

Hey, Tommy! If you really enjoyed Bon Jovi at The Nassau Coliseum, you can catch him again on Feb. 28th at Verizon Center in DC.

(I assume it was the Nassau C and not Madison Sq.)

It was the new Prudential Center in Newark, but who's keeping track :) I just may have to do that..I hope he opens up with Sugarland, i really wanna hear 'Who Says You Can't Go Home'!

It was the new Prudential Center in Newark, but who's keeping track :) I just may have to do that..I hope he opens up with Sugarland, i really wanna hear 'Who Says You Can't Go Home'!

HaHa. Was Bon Jovi the opening act at Prudential? I've been seeing things about it on TV. Is it a super nice facility?

Hey Burt and the rest !

On the parking issues.....

So We have a Dedicated "PASSENGER LOADING ZONE" posted in front of our building. When we had a wedding a few weeks ago, It was full so the Limo stopped with flashers on to retreive the bride and groom. The happy guests lit their sparklers and prepared for them to appear and leave. JUST as they did the city police pulled up behind the LIMO and turned on the lights. Got out and dressed down the driver for saftey in a driving lane. While the guest watched.. the sparklers died out and some gest left. Thanks god the photographer had sense enough to keep shooting to distract them..

Call the 4th precinct LT. Monday

was told to talk to lanier parking for enforcment.

Got through to a nice lady who was getting the info about the property then stopped cold to tell me they don't work past 6 pm... the zone if from 6pm to 5am..............

Go figure?

As a wonderful for us, not the first friday folks followup. The Boys on bikes (police) started issuing ticket and towing on Friday night. 4 car were towed out of the Zone. ( Turned out 3 were tenants in our building that enjoyed nightly free parking, they know better!) The city followed up with more towing on Saturday night and tickets this week. Yeah ! Someone listens.....