Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

If you're planning a theatre trip to Manhattan, READ THIS STORY:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/theater/...amp;oref=slogin

This is the first work stoppage for Broadway shows since 2003. The excluded closings do not share the same stagehands union as the shows that will be shut down and, therefore, will continue playing. But many of the most popular ones are affected.

Bad economic news for New York City, and very sad for visitors building their trips around Broadway shows. Everyone's hoping for an early settlement.

Off-Broadway theatres are not affected by the strike.

PS: LATEST WORD IS THAT THE STRIKE HAS BEEN APPROVED AND IS UNDERWAY.

Edited by burt

If you're planning a theatre trip to Manhattan, READ THIS STORY:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/10/theater/...amp;oref=slogin

This is the first work stoppage for Broadway shows since 2003. The excluded closings do not share the same stagehands union as the shows that will be shut down and, therefore, will continue playing. But many of the most popular ones are affected.

Bad economic news for New York City, and very sad for visitors building their trips around Broadway shows. Everyone's hoping for an early settlement.

Off-Broadway theatres are not affected by the strike.

PS: LATEST WORD IS THAT THE STRIKE HAS BEEN APPROVED AND IS UNDERWAY.

When I first posted this, the entire NYTimes story came up. But I see now that you'll have to log in to see the whole thing.

Great, Tommy. Put 'em up asap. I hope you got some of VCU Medical from I-95 or from Church or Jefferson Hill showing the newly lighted building tops.

They came out grainy and blurry, I was so disappointed in my new lens. I went to the Intermediate Terminal, Church Hill's Overlook, and the Manchester Floodwall..that little LCD screen is so deceiving! I sent it back into the shop, and I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Edited by TBurban

They came out grainy and blurry, I was so disappointed in my new lens. I went to the Intermediate Terminal, Church Hill's Overlook, and the Manchester Floodwall..that little LCD screen is so deceiving! I sent it back into the shop, and I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Awww. I'm disappointed. I'd looked forward to them. I don't know anything about photography; I suppose an LSD screen is that thing attached to the camera that shows an instant picture. Would it be that you need a tripod? I think that's what Cam and Coupe told me when I asked for nighttime pix of the multi-colored fountain in Byrd Park.

Now that Thanksgiving is so near, why don't you wait 'til the illumination of James Center to get all of your after dark shots? (I haven't the remotest idea of why I'm typing in italics -- wonder how that happened and how I can get back to normal font)?

I have some pics too from Church Hill and Jefferson Hill Park the week the lights went up but even with the tripod... they came out blurrier than I wanted. This is with the new camera which handles low light and darkness much better than the old, but I still had a little issue.

I suppose an LSD screen is that thing attached to the camera that shows an instant picture.

I suppose an LSD screen would be a drug screen for LSD :ph34r: , which would be incredibly expensive. The method I've heard of involves a spinal tap - not really worth the effort, considering LSD isn't physically addictive.

Sorry Cam, I know you meant LCD screen. Just playin

Well everyone today was my birthday and it was a good one. I turned 19 today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :yahoo:

Wow. I can barely remember my 19th birthday at Ft. Sill, Oklahoma. I was stuck in the field with my artillery unit in the freezing cold and snow.

Congrats and many, many more!

In my case, my most fun years were probably 22 through 26, so maybe Joey has a few fun years to look forward to. 27 was a little worse and 28 has been a pretty big drag. I am not looking forward to 29. Maybe it's time to run away and join the circus.

Don't despair, McLaw. The launching of Secret Sound Machine might transform your life! :good:

I spent my 19th in Manilla, P.I. and have been city-hopping ever since.

Happy birthday, Joey. You'll find that as one ages understanding, acceptance and wisdom follow.

Perhaps this has been brought up over and over, but it's now again on my mind. I lived in Richmond from '89 to '97. A routine conversaton topic back then was how much potential Richmond has. I've since decided that Richmond, like many cities in the same boat, has it all. The problem is it's just not that well organized. It's attractions are too spread out and too many dead zones in between. Unfortunately a lot of work needs to be done to correct this.

Here's what's cool in my mind about Richmond, in not any particular order. 1) Cary Town 2) The Canal 3) Shockoe Bottom 4) Virginia Museum 5) James River with those huge rocks everywhere 6) The Fan 7) Westhampton

I could go on and on. Richmond really has some assests. However, if I really want to go to a "city" I never think of Richmond as an option - no at all. I think Boston, Wash DC, Philly, NY, places where I can ditch my car and walk around for a few hours. If Richmond could jam all those attractions together, you'd have it.

I hate to say it because it's become so huge, but I'm affraid that VCU has completely killed any hope for the Fan and Downtown ever becoming unified. VCU is a huge deadzone. Architecturally it's a sore spot when compared to the Fan or parts of downtown. VCU should have been north of Broad Street where it wouldn't have caused so much harm.

It's not just VCU in Richmond, it's NYU in NY. These schools are great at killing the momentum of the street. When I go to NY I don't give a you know what about NYU. It's just a school and bland as they come. Same goes for VCU. It's just a shame VCU is smack in the middle of a place struggling to make it.

Edited by johnk812

Nice comments, JohnK, and thank you for them. But if there was ever a unifying element in the city is has been VCU. It is anything BUT a dead zone and has spurred street momentum like nothing else since Richmond's grand days of downtown retail.

The University (perhaps since your departure) has and is moving north of Broad. It is also expanding east of Belvidere into an area that truly was a dead zone. Architecturally, some of the new buildings are quite interesting if not inspired.

I live in Manhattan and am impressed every time I return to Richmond for a visit. It has a unique character, supports one of the finest art museums in the Country (presently under major reconstruction), has a fine symphony, is home to a ballet company that ranks in the top 25 Nationally and has a thriving restauant and nightclub scene.

But like most cities, other than those you name, it takes a car to get around. It's a good place to call home, even if necessity calls one elsewhere.

But I do wonder how can huge cities like New York and Boston be all that walkable? They're so much larger than Richmond that walking it all would be almost as impossible as walking all of Richmond. However, Richmond has a great grid north of the river and near Manchester that is quite walkable... but they are long stretches. You can dicth your car and walk anywhere at least in the grid, but not all areas are or will have the street life that I think you're really referring... and those cities also have those areas, but who's really attracted to the dead areas? I agree with Burt that VCU has done a great job with sparking life along Broad and their architecture isn't that bad.

It would be nice if a walkable Richmond was an altogether safe Richmond. The drug culture's roots need to be salted and all the issues in Richmond's underbelly need to be addressed before we can be close to utopia.

Yeah I cant wait for the next elections for City Council and Mayor. Its weird that no one has really said who will be running for mayor and city council in 08. Then again I guess its too early to know who will be running for the city. All I hope for is someone to keep the city in the right direction with keeping cheif monroe for crime. Cheif Monroe is the best police cheif we have had in a long while.

But I do wonder how can huge cities like New York and Boston be all that walkable? They're so much larger than Richmond that walking it all would be almost as impossible as walking all of Richmond.

Whenever I have ridden the train into N.Y., I always walk and ride the subway with a day pass. The trains always make walking easier.

Whenever I have ridden the train into N.Y., I always walk and ride the subway with a day pass. The trains always make walking easier.

When you walk in NYCity there is so much pedestrian traffic on the sidewalks that one is not conscious of how far he or she has walked in a given time. It's psychological. Attention is diverted to the beautiful people passing to and fro in massive numbers and time is defracted.

Try it. You'll love it. :lol:

It's still the greatest city in the World!!!