Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Thanksgiving was great got to eat alot and watch the Cowboys and the Jets play. I was praying for the Jets to get killed since I am a Steelers Fan and have a family member thats the starting tight end for the Pittsburgh Steelers who orignates from where my family grew up before moving here to Richmond. Good ole Swords Creek Virgnia in Russell County. FYI it used to be called Butchers Knife VA but never found out why.

I was right... southside Richmond is a nighmare of former Chesterfield subdivisions. I have one last section to do and its north and west of Huguenot. I wonder how many I missed? I have not researched the major roads, just those that intersect them... aside from Patterson Ave and Mechanicsville Tnpk and parts of Broad.

I drove around some of the malls on Black Friday... if anyone's interested, I can post those pictures. Dusk caught me by the end though... so I hope the last ones can be seen. They look bright on the camera.

I was right... southside Richmond is a nighmare of former Chesterfield subdivisions. I have one last section to do and its north and west of Huguenot. I wonder how many I missed? I have not researched the major roads, just those that intersect them... aside from Patterson Ave and Mechanicsville Tnpk and parts of Broad.

I drove around some of the malls on Black Friday... if anyone's interested, I can post those pictures. Dusk caught me by the end though... so I hope the last ones can be seen. They look bright on the camera.

Bring 'em on, Cam. Would love to see the shopping mall pix.

Your subdivision research sounds like an exhausting job. Congratulations on tackling it and I hope we can read and see some of the results.

Here's a couple of observations from NYCity:

While Richmond hopes for a tower or two, skyscrapers are popping up continually all over Manhattan. Today, I noticed for the first time, the skinniest residential tower I've seen in the City. It's under construction on the west side of 8th Avenue between 47th and 48th and is at least 40-stories tall. But its sidewalk frontage and the tower itself canNOT be more than 40 feet wide in my estimation. It really looks kinda freaky!

IATSE (stagehands union) still has pickets in front of most Broadway theatres. It is hurting the economy of the city, stagehands, actors and restaurants to mention a few. Actors and IATSE members who have been laid off are getting a stipend from their unions. Actors Equity minimum for roles on Broadway is about $1800 per week, (featured actors and stars get considerably more.) But the strike is cutting into their future pensions and health insurance qualifications as these fringe benefits are not included in the strike stipends.

And then, too, are the disappointed visitors who had planned theatre trips to the City and have had to cancel, sometimes losing deposits.

Hopefully all involved will come to an amicable settlement soon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REVISION! I walked by the skinny tower again today and learned I was generous is my earlier estimation of its width. I paced it out and the 8th Avenue frontage (entire building, for that matter) is less than 30 feet wide!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And as of last night (11/28), it appears the strike will end and shows will re-open. :yahoo:

Edited by burt

They came out grainy and blurry, I was so disappointed in my new lens. I went to the Intermediate Terminal, Church Hill's Overlook, and the Manchester Floodwall..that little LCD screen is so deceiving! I sent it back into the shop, and I'll give it another shot this weekend.

Tommy, are you going downtown Friday night for the Grand Illumination?

I'm looking forward to pix from you and all our ace photographers.

I'll be there for the first time.

Thought of the day:

REBUILD THE JAMES RIVER & KANAWHA CANAL between Richmond and Buchanan!

Good idea! And why not? England and France have a major tourist industry going with their canal systems.

Take your tripod with you tomorrow night, Cam. Looking forward to some slide shows from all of you of the Friday night goings-on as well as Saturday's parade.

I haven't been to the Christmas Parade since I think 1990... I've always wondered... what happens at 7th St? Since Santa is no longer downtown, shouldn't the parade route be reversed? I remember going in 1986 and they turned up 5th St then... they had one balloon! I think it was the Pillsbury doughboy or Stay Puft... or a white blob.

I haven't been to the Christmas Parade since I think 1990... I've always wondered... what happens at 7th St? Since Santa is no longer downtown, shouldn't the parade route be reversed? I remember going in 1986 and they turned up 5th St then... they had one balloon! I think it was the Pillsbury doughboy or Stay Puft... or a white blob.

I think they set up a North Pole room in the Convention Center these days so that Santa can receive the kiddies. The Marketplace bridge is no longer an obstacle for the big baloons, so the route on Broad has been extended to the Fed Court House. I think it should go all the way to MCV.

Edited by burt

I'm working Friday till 8..what time do the events start? I've never been to a Ukrop's Christmas Parade, but I've been dying to go. Sadly, I have to work from 4-8 Saturday, too :(

The Grand Illumination starts around 6 o'clock I think, so you'll miss that, unless you want to drive down after work. There'll be plenty to do until the wee hours. You could even go to the Dance Night at Toads starting at 10PM (usually it's on Saturdays but for some reason, it's Friday night this week.) http://www.toadsplacerva.com

But you can make the Parade on Saturday that starts at 10am and is over by 2PM or earlier. See the Events thread for full details.

By the way Tommy, have you found the Fountain of Youth? You look five years younger than you did last year. Do you know of something that will work its magic on the old man? :shades:

Haha! Thanks, Burt :) Look who's talking! I know no one that walks to their doctors appointment nowadays Mr Manhattan, and all that trekking up and down the hills during the NFF, my old broad wouldn't last a minute! You're a solid build ole' chap, Ironsides himself :tough:

I'll be sure to head downtown and take some skyline shots after I get off from work tomorrow night :camera:

Haha! Thanks, Burt :) Look who's talking! I know no one that walks to their doctors appointment nowadays Mr Manhattan, and all that trekking up and down the hills during the NFF, my old broad wouldn't last a minute! You're a solid build ole' chap, Ironsides himself :tough:

I'll be sure to head downtown and take some skyline shots after I get off from work tomorrow night :camera:

Speaking of which, I snapped one the other night on my way to Petersburg.. here's a sample of more to come!

2053534367_aa7bcd8c65_b.jpg

(my current signature)

Edited by TBurban