Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Since I'm in the West End... I'll be doing some of that canal exploration if possible. I'll try that this Friday. I haven't forgotten last Friday's pics. Tommy don't grow up that fast... sounds like you're from the 1930s.

... and cut that hair... who do you think you are? Ringo? :rolleyes:

Since I'm in the West End... I'll be doing some of that canal exploration if possible. I'll try that this Friday. I haven't forgotten last Friday's pics. Tommy don't grow up that fast... sounds like you're from the 1930s.

... and cut that hair... who do you think you are? Ringo? :rolleyes:

Take your camera on the moonlit canal boat trip tonight.

No I couldn't get on yesterday. I wad come to place pics on here...

The other thing is, I didn't get down to the James Center. I had a lot to do Friday and I also took a drive into Goochland... really pretty land out there. I wouldn't mind living there except for it's our earthquake country and I will not do well water. Nice historic homes out there along Rt 6. I was trying to follow the canal bed. So first, I went to as far as I could on Gaskins to see what it was I saw in the bird's eye view. Not much. Then I went out RIver Rd to Rt 6. When I came back into Henrico, I had to get back to Broad to buy clothes for a function Saturday. Parham Rd is a nightmare during Friday rush hours. And we can't get mass transit? By the time I got to where I needed to be, it was dark and they had lit the Capitol. I took 64 until the Boulevard exit where traffic was really slowing down... I snaked my way to Brook where I could see the buildings already lit and I heard the countdown on the radio while on Adams.

I was not impressed with the buildings. They weren't completely outlined as they had in previous years. Some strings were not lit and it's almost like City Hall Disease had spread. At least La Diff and The building with First Market had strings at their tops. The UNOS building didn't have lights this year. I got some pics from Manchester and along Franklin, but that was it as I had to get home by 8.

I didn't get a lot of pics. Yesterday's rain kept me in, so I didn't get to go back downtown.

This story with slide show may not interest everyone, but it's a good representation of what film making is like on location. It looks very professional, and if you think you saw movie-makers in The Bottom during the Brunswick Stew festival, you did!

Story by Daniel Neman in today's Times Dispatch of a local group shooting a script in 48 hours:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...12-09-0044.html

After all that wind this past weekend, at night, basically the whole east end did not have street lights. Half of the MLK Bridge was lit and it seemed as if downtown's streetlights were on north of Broad and out as far as Laurel. It was neat looking driving along in the city while it looked like the counties and just imagine how dark it used to be years ago. But the darkness really brought out everyone's Christmas lights.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra played tonight at the Coliseum didn't they? I got caught in their traffic jam on 7th St. I have not seem so many cars and ... dare I say it? white folk, since Short Pump. Please don't move the Coliseum!

Trans-Siberian Orchestra played tonight at the Coliseum didn't they? I got caught in their traffic jam on 7th St. I have not seem so many cars and ... dare I say it? white folk, since Short Pump. Please don't move the Coliseum!

It wouldn't make sense to me to move the Coliseum for a good while. Anyone been there lately? The millions of dollars in improvements really make a difference. The sound quality inside the place is still a little muddy, but any sound technician worth a crap should have the bugs worked out within 5 minutes or so. The new chairs are extremely comfortable, the members-only concession room is nice, the sky boxes are nice as well. It appears that some sort of baffles have been added to the ceiling to do something with the sound bouncing all over the place.

Yes, the place has come a long way since those 1985 Grateful Dead shows. I do like the downtown master plan idea for surrounding the Coliseum with commercial development. Sixth Street Marketplace never really kept people from fleeing the scene after a show. There needs to be some reason to keep people from wanting to kill themselves with exhaust fumes in the parking decks, attempting to leave immediately after a show.

It wouldn't make sense to me to move the Coliseum for a good while. Anyone been there lately? The millions of dollars in improvements really make a difference. The sound quality inside the place is still a little muddy, but any sound technician worth a crap should have the bugs worked out within 5 minutes or so. The new chairs are extremely comfortable, the members-only concession room is nice, the sky boxes are nice as well. It appears that some sort of baffles have been added to the ceiling to do something with the sound bouncing all over the place.

Yes, the place has come a long way since those 1985 Grateful Dead shows. I do like the downtown master plan idea for surrounding the Coliseum with commercial development. Sixth Street Marketplace never really kept people from fleeing the scene after a show. There needs to be some reason to keep people from wanting to kill themselves with exhaust fumes in the parking decks, attempting to leave immediately after a show.

Pretty soon Coliseum attendees will have a few more options after events: GIBSON's at the National, at least one restaurant in Hilton Garden Inn, and CANVAS next to the Convention Center on Broad Street.

Like you, D.C., I'm one of the few who thinks the Coliseum gets a bad rap. I like the look of it. But seating in the two "new" balconies added in the last decade at each end of the arena is so steep that anyone suffering from acrophobia should be warned off.

The building was designed by a famed Philadlphia architect named Kling back in the early 70's.

Coupe, was the show a sell-out? Which did you attend? The afternoon matinee or the evening performance?

Edited by burt

The afternoon show was probably a couple hundred seats shy of a sellout which is pretty good considering this is the first year that they've done 2 shows in Richmond.

Well speaking for the group of us on upper nose bleed ( :lol: ) The concert was really a great show. Our Boss got us the tickets to go with him and some friends. One in the group said they did not want to go because of the condition of the place.

I gotta tell everyone it was one of the best I've seen there and the venue itself was clean and kept up!

I do have to say we were in 18U which in looking around was 15 rows from the top. That was a bit for a couple of us, very steep!

The sound was good way up there and the tran's was wonderful!

Curses, we ducked out before the end due to memories of the folks lined up to get out... :wub:

Ahh we were on the floor pretty much dead center in the middle. Pretty amazing down there... we even had snow falling on us! We learned the hard way last year that it's a good idea to avoid parking in a nearby deck. It's definitely worth it to park a few blocks away (on the street for free)!

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I never understand the reasoning behind leaving a performance before the finale just to get to the parking garage before everyone else. I bet these same people are not the first to arrive. Early "in" would assure a good parking space providing quick "out" afterward.

Glad to hear that the Trans Siberian Orchestra provided great shows for two near-filled performances at The Coliseum. Next sell-out (I bet a quarter) will be "Dancing With the Stars" tour coming in January.

Hope everyone had a great christmas. Now we can look forward to the year 2008. I hope 2008 brings Richmond many surprises and big milestones for our city. Im looking forward to 2008. Only problem is that usually when its a even year like 2006 I tend to have a bad year. But when its a odd year like 2007 I have a very good year.