Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Richmond's murder count as of about 11PM December 26th is 54 so far in 2007. That's a remarkable drop of about 30 compared to the same time last year.

But the TV news at this moment on NYCity channels is that total murders in all five boroughs of New York City (over 8,000,000 people) is just under 500. That's the lowest figure since 1963.

Let's pray that Richmond can continue cutting away at the carnage and keeping guns out of young, unlicensed hands.

Thank God the city has Chief Monroe and an able, dedicated Police Force.

Edited by burt

We need to change our society before we can have a 0 murder rate... no one wants to do that. Instead, they like putting band-aids on severed limbs.

We may dream about a zero count, but it's a fantasy given humanity's innate inhumanity to humanity.

The local tally has gone up at least one more as of today, while across the globe, general mayhem reigns.

Bidding Happy New Years to Richmond Forum Members

I wanted to personally thank everyone to any contributions they made from my request as I was curious of moving and then finally making the decision to relocate. I will also be bidding farewell to Richmond this spring. The choice of my leaving is for several reasons and I am most thankful to have had a job that is easily transitional. The development of the City still peaks my interest and I was certainly lurk over here to read updates in the future.

I could return to the area in a few years. I really love Virginia; maybe next venture I'll try NOVA or retire in Williamsburg. I am sure this isn't the last I have seen of the Commonwealth but it's time again to make my departure.

Thanks AGAIN

cityhopper

This is a very uplifting piece by Jim Nolan in today's RTD about the incredible drop in crime locally. The 2006 murder rate was the lowest since 1981. Incredible! And kuddos to cheif Monroe and his excellent Police Force:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainmen...01-02-0103.html

Seems odd this story is on the Entertainment page of inRich, but wherever, it's great news!!!

Edited by burt

Can anyone get access to the city's webmapper? I keep getting a red x. It hasn't worked for me in about a month, at home and at work. I really want to get my neighborhood map going.

The city's GIS system is a piece of crap. Little dinky Mathews County has GIS that works better than Richmond's and they have about a tenth of the population.

I remember the city's GIS site did this last year about this same time. The system didn't come back up until the day I received my reassessment. (Where it DOUBLED!!) :angry: My guess is that the assessor's office has pulled the system off-line until all the reassessment information is entered and updated.

The city's GIS system is a piece of crap. Little dinky Mathews County has GIS that works better than Richmond's and they have about a tenth of the population.

I remember the city's GIS site did this last year about this same time. The system didn't come back up until the day I received my reassessment. (Where it DOUBLED!!) :angry: My guess is that the assessor's office has pulled the system off-line until all the reassessment information is entered and updated.

Chesterfield still doesn't have its GIS online. In the county's defense, they got on GIS, like many large localities, before many smaller counties and cities did. That meant that they had a whole lot of money and effort invested before it was practical to have an online GIS. Smaller localities found it easier to start from scratch with a GIS that would be available on the internet. Also in Chesterfield, there are still server and security issues being worked out.

On a completely different topic, I went to Delux Saturday night and it was unpleasantly slammed at midnight. While waiting in line for the bathroom, a girl (probably from the West End, :P ) told her friend over her cell phone that she was at Delux in Carytown. When did Carytown annex eastward 5 blocks?

Edited by mclawsdrive

I wish Richmond had maps like Henrico that are much better detailed than anything Richmond has.

Oh sit down for this... at work... I won $100 in gift cards...

... to Short Pump Town Center... :rofl:

Edited by Cadeho

I wish Richmond had maps like Henrico that are much better detailed than anything Richmond has.

Oh sit down for this... at work... I won $100 in gift cards...

(suspenseful gap omitted)

... to Short Pump Town Center... :rofl:

:lol::sick:

This wouldn't be funny if it was anyone else.:rofl:

Maybe you could sell them for a slight discount at work or on craiglist. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in some gift cards at 10% less than face value.

:lol::sick:

This wouldn't be funny if it was anyone else.:rofl:

Maybe you could sell them for a slight discount at work or on craiglist. I'm sure plenty of people would be interested in some gift cards at 10% less than face value.

People already gave me offers, but I refused. I'm keeping the cards, my aunt said she'd take them if they turned out to be what I got. They drew raffle tickets on Christmas Eve while I was on vacation for various prizes... this was the grand prize of the gift cards they had... didn't win the 50" plasma tv or ipod... I was notified I had won gift cards, but they didn't tell me which ones until I got back yesterday. My aunt most likely would want me to drive her to Short Pump if I gave them to her, and I'd just sit in the parking lot. Or, I may end my ten year (ten years this fall since I found out about its development) boycott of the mall, which actually was the only thing affected by it. I haven't decided yet.

It looks like the city is upgrading its webmapper. I had copied out the entire east end, downtown, and a part of northside. I had hopped to finish at least the north side of the river today and southside by the end of the week.

Why is it that old maps are not imaged and put online. I'm trying to find old maps of Henrico... but I guess I'll have to go to the Library of Va. I found an "old road" paralell to Mechanicsville Tnpk that is no longer open, but you can still see it and follow it between subdivisions. As I have said before, I love trying to find and finding our area's old roads. Just imagine them back in the old days.

It looks like the city is upgrading its webmapper. I had copied out the entire east end, downtown, and a part of northside. I had hopped to finish at least the north side of the river today and southside by the end of the week.

Why is it that old maps are not imaged and put online. I'm trying to find old maps of Henrico... but I guess I'll have to go to the Library of Va. I found an "old road" paralell to Mechanicsville Tnpk that is no longer open, but you can still see it and follow it between subdivisions. As I have said before, I love trying to find and finding our area's old roads. Just imagine them back in the old days.

best place to get old maps is the county tax assessors office. they maintain all the oldest records. Just ask them what they have stocked away and to peruse it if possible. They may even let you scan them if they are in good enough condition.

I read that Media General might be one of the suitors interested in purchasing the huge Landmark Corp Publishing & TV company which prints The Norfolk Virginian Pilot and Richmond Style Weekly and owns the Weather Channel among its holdings.

If Media General, headquartered at 4th and Franklin streets, were to absorb Landmark, what would it mean for Richmond? Anybody want to speculate?

Edited by burt