Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Where did you read that Burt?

It was in the TD story several days ago reporting the likely sale of Landmark. Don't get me wrong -- it was not anything serious, simply a hint that Media General is among the big boys in publishing. I'll see if I can pull up the story if it hasn't been deleted at inRich.

Yeah Richmond blogs were talking about that last week. Velvet was good for one thing, holding up the Di mural... now that that's gone I hope a mini-flood comes and sweeps that building into the James so someone with an inkling of class can rebuild there. Between sketchy Santa standing on the street corner, the Humvees, and the spotlights (which I used to be ok with) they are getting on Richmond's last nerve.

HAHA I got a picture of Santa as I drove by... he's blurry but the building is pretty much in focus. I meant to upload that.

But hey, at least the building adds search lights to our nighttime skyline... to be seen for miles away. I took pics of the building lit up a few months ago.

Old Burt turned 80 over the weekend, so I'm going to ease my way out of here and yield to younger perspective. I'll pop in occasionally as "poster emeritus" and you may be sure I'll be lurking around. Meanwhile, keep me informed and entertained, please. :)

Hey Burt, I just saw you last year and would never believe your age, but hey 80 is the new 60 so

HAPPY BELATED !!

:fun::fun:

Old Burt turned 80 over the weekend, so I'm going to ease my way out of here and yield to younger perspective. I'll pop in occasionally as "poster emeritus" and you may be sure I'll be lurking around. Meanwhile, keep me informed and entertained, please. :)

A belated Happy Birthday to you burt! I sure hope you know you are one of if not the the most valued posters here and offer a perspective on Richmond most of us don't have. The board certainly wouldn't be the same without you!

Happy Birthday Burt! Sorry to hear that you are stepping down. Is this taking up too much of your time? It can be time consuming if you let it get that way...I mean, Richmond is addictive, as you know very well. You're still not old though. My grandfather just turned 81 today and is as young as ever, which I'm sure you are too! We're gonna miss you my friend! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Eric. It does steal your life, especially when there's not that much time left. I'm simply out-of-step with a lot of opinions expressesd on these boards.

Here are two comments from today's Times Dispatch:

The first I find an excellent assesment:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...01-15-0094.html

The second is well worth pondering:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...01-15-0106.html

Edited by burt

Burt, you can't stay away. I have always thought to leave this board in particular because no one sees things as I see them. No one seems to acknowledge the preferential treatment of the west, no one seems to want our downtown to return to being a regional draw for big retail, if things that are symbols of Richmond are threatened, some bow to progress and say forget what makes us us, as long as we get new buildings and towers... I'm way out of step here, hearing the opinions of other people who live in the East End, to some of the elderly who live there who wish things weren't so far out and that all the growth in the suburbs stop so they can have a place closer to them to shop and do whatever they need. I'm slammed as negative if I dissent with popular opinion. But I stay. It's hard to go away.

Plus Burt, we need you for those priceless memories!

Burt, I sincerely hope that you will continue posting here as much as possible. You are extremely prolific in both the quantity and quality of news, insight and discussion you bring to Urban Planet.

Some recent news:

My father and I recently had lunch with Chip Jones, who worked with my father for years at the Roanoke Times. Chip left the Times Dispatch a few months ago and is now editor-in-chief of new media at the Bergman Group. He is also writing what will surely be a fascinating book about Iraq, based largely on the months he spent there with U.S military and Sunni sheiks. Be sure to check out "Red, White or Yellow? The military and media at war in Iraq", due out in September by Stackpole books.

Edited by mclawsdrive

Burt, I sincerely hope that you will continue posting here as much as possible. You are extremely prolific in both the quantity and quality of news, insight and discussion you bring to Urban Planet.

Some recent news:

My father and I recently had lunch with Chip Jones, who worked with my father for years at the Roanoke Times. Chip left the Times Dispatch a few months ago and is now editor-in-chief of new media at the Bergman Group. He is also writing what will surely be a fascinating book about Iraq, based largely on the months he spent there with U.S military and Sunni sheiks. Be sure to check out "Red, White or Yellow? The military and media at war in Iraq", due out in September by Stackpole books.

Thanks, McLaw. Not unlike you in your youth, I seem to be getting busier in my old age and have less time for this board. I'm going to try to keep my Dining-Out thread going, though, and will pop in and out on other subjects as well.

Chip used to give us all our airport news. I wondered where he had gone.

This is partially off topic, so rather than crowd the actual thread this belongs in with an opinion piece... I thought I would put it here...

Yesterday while going home to get something during lunch (still live in Berry Burk) I parked under the John Marshall canopy since all the close spots were gone. I have had to do this on a few occassions and no one ever seems to care. Well... someone finally did. When I returned to my car I found a hand-written note saying how on the next violation my car would be towed. I looked around and noticed 5 other cars in the area, a guy walking to his car, and no other notes. I preceded to say 'whatever', throw the note on the ground and open my car.

Well, I should have guessed. That guy was the one who wrote the note. He must have seen me chuck it. He preceded to come right up to me and get into my face. He told me not to park there any more. I asked him on who's authority. Apparently John Marshall now has a parking attendant. A not-so-nice parking attendant. I told him politely that I wouldnt do it anymore. He obviously didn't hear that because he said back to me that I 'should appreciate the historic nature of the building and not defile it with parking.' Well, that was about it. So I told him that if he appreciated the building so much he should tell his boss to hurry up and develop it. He should also get the police to patrol his building to curb the budding drug trade and vagrancy problem that is occurring inside of it. And he should also fire his parking attendant.

I was late for work as it was, so I got in my car and drove off at that point. Now, I know this pertains to the John Marshall, but it is more an aggravated response.

As an aside... I noticed when I got home, people where moving furniture out of the hotel itself.

That might be a positive sign, aside from the fact that they are all of a sudden concerned about people parking on their property (maybe this project is alive suddenly????)

Hiya, journie.

Judging from this inRich story, John Marshall developers may have a lot more to worry about than miscreants like you marring their historic building by parking in front of it.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-01-0182.html

Nathaniel Dance, who I think is the son of a former Petersburg mayor, also owned or operated BOSS on Harrison Street. Is it still open?

Edited by burt