Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Hiya, journie.

Judging from this inRich story, John Marshall developers may have a lot more to worry about than miscreants like you marring their historic building by parking in front of it.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-01-0182.html

Nathaniel Dance, who I think is the son of a former Petersburg mayor, also owned or operated BOSS on Harrison Street. Is it still open?

Yup the bullets keep flying and the drugs are really starting to flow...

So I contacted the non-emergency police line and let them know to start looking in certain places...

Does anyone know why there are two Norfolk Southern Passenger cars parked across 14th street from Vistas on the James?

They're def. old passenger cars that look like they're from the Norfolk & Western Days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lch4/2237144705/ <---there's a link to a photo of one of the two.

You're photos in general are great by the way :thumbsup:

Does anyone know why there are two Norfolk Southern Passenger cars parked across 14th street from Vistas on the James?

They're def. old passenger cars that look like they're from the Norfolk & Western Days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lch4/2237144705/ <---there's a link to a photo of one of the two.

wow. I haven't seen those cars in a very long time. They look just like the cars that used to be behind some old bank over on Forest Hill Avenue, just west of Stratford Hills shopping center. I surveyed that bank back in 2000 and the property owner was giving the rail cars away to anyone who would just move them.

Hiya, journie.

Judging from this inRich story, John Marshall developers may have a lot more to worry about than miscreants like you marring their historic building by parking in front of it.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-01-0182.html

Nathaniel Dance, who I think is the son of a former Petersburg mayor, also owned or operated BOSS on Harrison Street. Is it still open?

Yep, the BOSS is still open and doing well from what I hear.

"...defile it with parking." ---- That's great. :rofl:

best place to get old maps is the county tax assessors office. they maintain all the oldest records. Just ask them what they have stocked away and to peruse it if possible. They may even let you scan them if they are in good enough condition.

... ever heard of the david rumsey map collection?

i always forget where the #$*&* search feature is- but you can search by city or county.. the maps are amAzing,

show old roads, rr's ,etc.

there's a michie map from the 1860's of richmond and surrounds that was done by cartogs in balloons. l

almost looks like a photo.

also the lib. of congress 'american memory' online

:)

I've been waiting all day to reply! I was reading this thread when all of a sudden... work decided to ban all internet use (including sites used for work... I wonder how they'll sort that out)... anyway, I am looking to leave my new old job of servant... any ideas?

Anyway, I love Michie's map. He did it by balloon? I love seeing my lot as a field and the hill it's on highlighted. Thanks for the suggesting lovethabeach!

Times-Dispatch article on Henrico, Va

What makes it worse is they're not asking for the zip codes with a larger black population to change names. They left out 23227, 23222, and 23223. On top of that, 23223 and I believe 23222 asked the county to consider renaming them Henrico, Va and they were shot down. Now they're not included. Oddly enough, most of the zips to change are in the West End, but then you jump over to 23231 and 23250 in Varina. So Henrico, Va would be split in two! The zip 23250 is RIC... so will Henrico also seek to rename it Henrico International? The only reason I could see Henrio targeting 23231 is beause of the growth expected there. Goochland's West Creek has the zip 23238. I couldn't find on my map where it enters Henrico. Strange that Henrico doesn't want 23226. I doubt Highland Springs would want to change their name to Henrico.

I say shame on Hazelett and anyone in county government who cooked up this scheme. I also don't see how businesses and residents would send taxes to the city because of the mailing address. It's more about separating from being associated with Richmond. One person interviewed by Channel 6 said they were in favor of it because they don't live in Richmond. And Chesterfield is drooling the outcome so it can also turn its back on Richmond. So much for regionalism in the Richmond Metro. We shouldn't even have a metro anymore. It's just Henrico, Chesterfield, and that other place.

What makes it worse is they're not asking for the zip codes with a larger black population to change names. They left out 23227, 23222, and 23223. On top of that, 23223 and I believe 23222 asked the county to consider renaming them Henrico, Va and they were shot down. Now they're not included....So Henrico, Va would be split in two!...

I say shame on Hazelett and anyone in county government who cooked up this scheme.

MORRRE fun with maps

check it out:

http://www.usnaviguide.com/zip.htm

Touted as "The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!"

verrry nteresstink! <_<

never really checked any of these out before.. you'd really have to look at a 'district map' to get close enough in to see the lines..but, you say 23250, Cadeho? Is that the zip solely used by RIC? 'cause the map looks to have 23150, 23231, 23223 in the varina district, and... isn't 23075 also partially in varina? what's this "23223 and I believe 23222" being "shot down" ?

hard to see how the county can selectively decide which bits are within its ZC realm, and have the parts left hanging out

in the wind have addresses and stamped doodads on their mail saying Henrico. could these be 'civil rights'? heh

you say: 'So Henrico, Va would be split in two!'

the next newsflash'll be

"West End recedes from Henrico"

'Richmonders gathered as the stadium formerly known as the Diamond sold out this afternoon to watch Henrico's East and West Ends battle it out in the heated 'postal-wars'. Similar skirmishes recently occurred in Fairfax, when residents vying for inclusion in the District of Columbia went up against kith and kin who preferred to remain Virginians..'

and similarly...

'Green's All in the Numb3rs'

'Westenders on the cusp flaunt yen for admittance to Richmond's new 'Master Plan', begging for sidewalk trees and riverside parks'

I should have included these. I drew these years ago before RIC has its own zip as referenced in a ADC Map Co map from 2002 (I haven't gotten the most recent one yet!) I also checked West Creek's zip there.

zips1.jpg

zipshenrico.jpg

The yellow is what would become Henrico, minus West Creek.

As far as the county's districts, they do crosszips. So 23075 which is Highland Springs I believe may have some areas in the Varina district. Zips 23222 and 23223 are north and northeastern Henrico... includes RIR, East Highland Park, Fairfield Commons... no wonder Henrico says the city can have it.

harsh! (you could get booted by an 'admin-bot' for that fLAme!)

dude- some people LIVE there nonetheless..

people are people.

it looks like -223 is in Varina west of S. Laburnum..

think about why areas would/wouldn't be 'chosen', you would think it would be all or nothing.

+ also that it was written that a poll would decide the outcome. are you in one of those zips? would you choose H or R ?

...and these are the lines drawn in the sand as HC wipes telltale drool from their chins while the cutlery is sharpened over the entree called varina...

I live in 23229 and I hope we dont get it changed cause its gonna screw up all my mail for the first week or so. I just hate it too cause Cam is right. This is about the counties wanting nothing to do with the city and isolating themselves from the city. I hate the county leaders and thinking they are so much better than the city. This makes us even farther away from regionalism. I just think this is gonna screw up alot of people for the first few days and for businesses. This is like when they wanted to rename the boulevard to ashe boulevard and this is just as bad as that.

Edited by Downtowner

Richmond Times Dispatch

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2008 - 12:08 AM

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-20-0139.html

Henrico, VA: 'There is no such place'

"....I'd rather just stay Richmond," said Ken Thomas, a Short Pump resident. "There is no such place as Henrico, VA. It's a county. I identify with the Richmond community."

He's mystified at the county's argument that it's losing tax revenue. "The address should drive that, not the name of the city."

He sees no benefit in changing his address to Henrico, VA. "If you change anything, change it to Short Pump," he said.

Edited by lovethabeach

I can see the far western zips becoming Short Pump since people say they live there. Highland Springs should stay and 23231 should become Varina... if anything.

So, if Henrico has a problem with people paying taxes to Richmond, then where do Glen Allen and Sandston's taxes go? They go to their county... so how is Henrico not getting taxes from other places within the county? Does Richmond get taxes from Richmond County??? Do people in RIchmond CIty accidently pay Richmond County? It's all a smokescreen.

I can see the far western zips becoming Short Pump since people say they live there. Highland Springs should stay and 23231 should become Varina... if anything.

So, if Henrico has a problem with people paying taxes to Richmond, then where do Glen Allen and Sandston's taxes go? They go to their county... so how is Henrico not getting taxes from other places within the county? Does Richmond get taxes from Richmond County??? Do people in RIchmond CIty accidently pay Richmond County? It's all a smokescreen.

I agree. What happens where a zip code crosses the county line? Will we have Henrico, VA 23227 and Richmond, VA 23227. It goes to the same post office. If people can't figure out who to pay taxes to, how would they know which city to use?