Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

It does belong to the Tuckahoe Post Office I believe. There is a Tuckahoe, Va just not in zip code.

Imagine Joey, had Richmond in the late 60s not rejected the annexation of the Tuckahoe district, it would be part of the city. They gave up on Henrico and turned to Chesterfield instead.

Posted February 20, 2008 @ 01:47 PM by PA

Speaking as a long time Henrico Co resident, sure, I'd like to see a "Henrico Co, VA" address but the costs associated with such a change would be far too much. I don't see this as a politcal thing or even as Henrico loosing money (Virgil's lost his mind I think) but a way to be a bit different and yes not associated so much with the city. And as for this :"Richmond should annex the entire county and call it all 'Richmond'..." How about HENRICO annexing Richmond and calling it all Henrico? Hmm.

PLEASE????????!!!!!!!!

I was thinking about that myself. Why won't Henrico and or Chesterfield ask the GA for their land back or change Va law so we're like every other state? Richmond annexed parts of Henrico, Chesterfield, and Manchester because it could offer services the counties and Manchester couldn't at that time. Basically, the city said the counties were inept and we could do a better job. Well now it's reversed. The city is corrupt and inept, why don't they take the city back. Richmond was a part of Henrico for many years. I wish I could locate the law that states cities had to be independent. A few were but by 1900 all were. I think Richmond and Manchester were already independent cities before 1900.

I'm sure if Hazlett had his way, he would build the Henrico Wall at the city/county line and any resident of Richmond or other localities would have to pay a toll to enter and leave Henrico.

Edited by Cadeho

PLEASE????????!!!!!!!!

I was thinking about that myself. Why won't Henrico and or Chesterfield ask the GA for their land back or change Va law so we're like every other state? Richmond annexed parts of Henrico, Chesterfield, and Manchester because it could offer services the counties and Manchester couldn't at that time. Basically, the city said the counties were inept and we could do a better job. Well now it's reversed. The city is corrupt and inept, why don't they take the city back. Richmond was a part of Henrico for many years. I wish I could locate the law that states cities had to be independent. A few were but by 1900 all were. I think Richmond and Manchester were already independent cities before 1900.

I'm sure if Hazlett had his way, he would build the Henrico Wall at the city/county line and any resident of Richmond or other localities would have to pay a toll to enter and leave Henrico.

That is a fantastic idea!! Henrico can annex Richmond and Chesterfield can annex Petersburg.

Then, we can all share the load of taking care of our own homeless and poor instead of shipping them to the city for social services and public housing. Don't even try to tell me that it doesn't happen because I know people who work for BOTH counties' social services departments and I can tell you that it does happen.

Then the load can be shared to facilitate state and federal buildings as well as college campus buildings, that suck down city services like fire, ambulance and police, and end up leaning on city taxpayers. The city recieves pennies on the dollar for reimbursement towards real estate taxes and I think it is high time that we all share the expense together.

And not that anyone in the counties really cares, but city residents would also be relieved of the burden of having to fund public transportation. My guess is that the entire program would be scrapped instead of expanded. After all, Henrico doesn't believe in sidewalks so why even bother with busses?

So yeah, let Henrico, VA. absorb the city. I would love to have a few hundred thousand extra taxpayers to help us take the load off. Careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

...Manchester morphed with Richmond in 1910.

"On August 15, 1905, the Manchester Board of Aldermen passed a resolution that a committee meet with another from the City of Richmond regarding a union of the two cities, under the name "City of Richmond." The council was insistent that the court house for the south side of the new city be retained at its Hull Street location and that the present judges and clerks be kept for this area. The City of Richmond was also to provide $40,000 for street improvements, in view of the fact that citizens would be paying Richmond taxes.

J.S. Wakefield, president of the town assembly, protested in 1906, saying that he was representing the people's interest and intended "to put a stop to this shady work of the committee," because the people of Manchester had been "kept in the dark." "

-Weisiger III Old Manchester & Its Environs, 1769-1910

apparently Wakefield's protest went unanswered, as Manchester was annexed in 1910, but you gotta love the 'shady work' and 'kept in the dark'. How is it very different now? The results usually come off as what citizens have done to, instead of done for them.

What percentage of the residents of either Richmond or Henrico feel like they know what's going on? It sure is nice to seeing TD readers get riled over zip.

Edited by lovethabeach

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-20-0139.html

Henrico, VA: 'There is no such place'

did anybody read the hoopla written in in response to williams' article?

if people only stood up in meetings and said what they thought! I guess they do- they just get 'shot down' over and over

and wear out. it's sad

Hmmm I guess the Times-Dispatch would benefit from the Hazelett Wall separating Henrico and Richmond once built because in my paper the other day I got a section Henrico gets in their newspapers. Guess what it's whole front page was about? I've also gotten those sections while getting papers in Hanover for my aunt. So I guess all things Henrico should be funnelled to Henrico and a wall built along the Chickahominy.

I still don't understand Highland Springs' deal. They can refer to themselves as both Richmond and Highland Springs?

Sorry to change the topic, but the crook in this article should nominated for Stupid Person of the Year :rolleyes: :

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...02-25-0275.html

If too much copper in your diet wasn't a bad thing, I would have suggested breaking out the marshmallows and making smores over the roasting crook.

Friggin' metal thieves. I hope that the one that stole my old beat-up camper shell from beside my garage, cut himself so bad on the torn metal that he bled to death. I hate a thief.

I'm looking for a walking partner or partners while I take pics of Leigh and M Sts between Jefferson Ave and 31st St including side streets Saturday. This would be the last part of Church Hill I have left to do. I did get kind of worried by myself taking pics along Marshall and Clay past 29th St. So if any one's up for it, let me know. Watch me take another 600 pics.

If too much copper in your diet wasn't a bad thing, I would have suggested breaking out the marshmallows and making smores over the roasting crook.

Friggin' metal thieves. I hope that the one that stole my old beat-up camper shell from beside my garage, cut himself so bad on the torn metal that he bled to death. I hate a thief.

Funny, that's the same thing I was thinking when I read the article in the paper. I was hoping it might stop some of these thefts.

I've heard of a multi-unit building where someone broke into an access panel and stole the pipes out of the walls, leaving the water pouring out.

Well I got no replies, so I'll be going by myself.

The door has closed since I don't have computer access to check later. I probably won't be back on here until Monday.

I know a guy who lives up at 35th and O and I told him that there would be someone taking some photos around Leigh, M and 35th. So if a heavy-metal type of guy is hanging about with a dog, it's one of our guys.

Heya- Um yeh- duh- you do have to die to get a Darwin Award-

and sorry about this- but with that level of lack in the self-presvtn mode-

i hate to say but it seems the guy is pretty much done for.

not that i wish him any worse than what he's got already- geez-

Edited by lovethabeach