Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Nostalgia note: Church Hill had three movie theaters: The Patrick Henry and The East End on the west side of North 25th Street between Marshall and Clay, and The Robinson at about 28th and R streets.

The oldest of the three, The Patrick Henry, constructed in the late 1920's or early 30's, had a small stagehouse and played 2nd run westerns. It was demolished in the 1950's.

The Robinson, circa 1940's, was a second-run house. It now sits lonley, rejected and desolate, but not beyond salvation.

The East End, built in the 1950's, was the largest, newest and most prestigeous of the three. It presented its last second-run film in the 1970's. Subsequently, demolision was undertaken to convert the theater to a residence. Latest news is that its remains face the wrecking ball.

Nostalgia note: Church Hill had three movie theaters: The Patrick Henry and The East End on the west side of North 25th Street between Marshall and Clay, and The Robinson at about 28th and R streets.

The oldest of the three, The Patrick Henry, constructed in the late 1920's or early 30's, had a small stagehouse and played 2nd run westerns. It was demolished in the 1950's.

The Robinson, circa 1940's, was a second-run house. It now sits lonley, rejected and desolate, but not beyond salvation.

The East End, built in the 1950's, was the largest, newest and most prestigeous of the three. It presented its last second-run film in the 1970's. Subsequently, demolision was undertaken to convert the theater to a residence. Latest news is that its remains face the wrecking ball.

Ill take a walk by this weekend and see what has become of it. The Robinson unfortunately is too far off the Broad corridor at the moment to be saved. I feel the East End though would be a boon in that location.

Burt you might have just caused me to form a non-profit to save it!

Ill take a walk by this weekend and see what has become of it. The Robinson unfortunately is too far off the Broad corridor at the moment to be saved. I feel the East End though would be a boon in that location.

Burt you might have just caused me to form a non-profit to save it!

Journi, check out the Church Hill Peoples News for more on this and other Hill subjects. Cam can tell you how to access it if typing in what I've written (CHPN) doesn't get you there.

There are plans for the Robinson and it has recently been painted. It won't be a theater again unfortunately. I do with the East ENd could be brought back to life instead of being demolished or turned into a house.

CHPN is at www.chpn.net

Edited by Cadeho

WOW...

Another crane has collapsed in NYC :o :

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24889166/

burt... What are you guys doing up there?

Yea; just heard it. Some relatives took me to lunch at Tavern on the Green and I didn't learn of this 'til this posting from you. It sure wasn't because of windy conditions. Today's weather is perfect and Central Park never looked better or more crowded.

I just read that the car company Th!nk is looking for somewhere in the United States to build its new plant to manufacture all-electric city-cars (think Smart Car, but 100% electric).

My understanding is that several states are in the running and have been pushing incentives to get the manufacturer to locate in their state. Wouldn't that be a great addition to the Rolls Royce plant? I assume the Richmond area has got to be in the running.

I just read that the car company Th!nk is looking for somewhere in the United States to build its new plant to manufacture all-electric city-cars (think Smart Car, but 100% electric).

My understanding is that several states are in the running and have been pushing incentives to get the manufacturer to locate in their state. Wouldn't that be a great addition to the Rolls Royce plant? I assume the Richmond area has got to be in the running.

I would definately buy one of the Th!nk ox in blue. The 'city' model looks nice but with Americans needing our 'space', I would assume that they would manufacture the 'ox' here in the U.S..

http://www.think.no/think

The finish on these cars looks like a powdercoating or something similar. Pretty cool.

Edited by D_C

The one Th!nk I've ever seen was parked outside of British Airways headquarters in UK back in 2002. It felt like it was made of the same material as a Rubbermaid trashcan.

Just think how much safer we would all be if we were all driving around in rubbermaid trashcans!

Well who is going to be the Mod for us? I think Coupe should be. I remember when I first got an account with Urbanplanet there was a guy from Rhode Island named Cotuit that had created the Richmond thread and I remember seeing him post the project Riverside on the James and a variety of other things. But we need to get a new mod and someone that can keep our threads up to date constantly.

Our forum needs a good clean-up. There are so many dead or closed threads that should be deleted.

I disagree to deleting threads. Besides I don't think old threads are deleted here just because the discussion has ended for the time being. You never know when a thread will come back and it's best not to have two same topics . On RCW Morgan brought back a thread that had been dormant since I think 2005. I've done the same there and here. However there could be some that could be consolidated.

Edited by Cadeho

I disagree to deleting threads. Besides I don't think old threads are deleted here just because the discussion has ended for the time being. You never know when a thread will come back and it's best not to have two same topics . On RCW Morgan brought back a thread that had been dormant since I think 2005. I've done the same there and here. However there could be some that could be consolidated.

Not threads that haven't seen posts in a while, ones that have been closed for eons. Since we lost the Nascar Hall of Fame bid, there is no reason we should have that closed thread floating around here. The same goes for other long gone, closed threads.

Not threads that haven't seen posts in a while, ones that have been closed for eons. Since we lost the Nascar Hall of Fame bid, there is no reason we should have that closed thread floating around here. The same goes for other long gone, closed threads.

I disagree. Those threads are out of the way pages back - and if a question comes up about something that happened in the past, they are there to be searched. No need to erase history.

Wrld would be a good suggestion. He seems the most plugged in of us all, with the most available time to post... but that is his decision, and UP's as well.

Journi, I would most certainly second you on Wrldcoupe4 taking over as moderator -- if he chose to do so. Can't imagine why UP would object to a city having a native as mod.

For better or worse, I don't think I'll be asked to be one.

i sent the 'contact us' email address asking a while ago about moderating or any job openings, and they said they were fine for the time being - that being said - Id encourage you to ask about it if they felt the need to have it happening.

I disagree. Those threads are out of the way pages back - and if a question comes up about something that happened in the past, they are there to be searched. No need to erase history.

I agree with CommRE on this. I love looking at the old posts, especially the ones that were inactive when I joined. Sometimes there are no fresh posts and it is nice to read some of the old ones. I don't think any of the threads should be erased.

I will agree that some posts/threads could be merged or moved though.