Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Great story in today's TD about the flood wall. It is doing its job. The biggest test so far came in 1996 when the river rose to almost 23 feet at City Locks, and it kept downtown and southside dry. (Gaston was not a river flood, but one caused by extremely heavy rain causing flooding on the OTHER side of the wall). It is designed to withstand river crests of 45 feet.

Jeffrey Irving, chief of civil programs for the Corps of Engineers was project manager for the flood wall which began in 1986 and was dedicated in 1994.

Burt...I think this event would be a perfect occasion to raise flags on those poles, but as you suspect, they were naked. In fact, I saw other sets of flag poles naked. Some at least had an American flag but had the two companion poles flagless.

As I walked over that large pedestrian bridge onto Brown's Island over the weekend, it was always packed with people. I'd watch them look down into the water, knowing they were thinking "ugh that algae is disgusting"....could it have been because it didn't rain for like a month? Maybe, but in any case, something should have been done to fix it. Same goes for the trash in the canal. When you are on display to so many people, it should be an obligation to have that cleaned up. Frankly, it should always be clean anyways.

And I would agree with those attendance estimates. There were probably about 5,000 people there on friday night...Next year, weather permitting, I guarantee this event hits over 125,000 people.

Ph levels might have gone up around that area. The harder the water the easier it is for alage to grow. Is there any chemical or oil refineries around the area. That might be the culprit

COMMANDER'S CHIEF OUSTED: The Richmond-friendly creator of "Commander in Chief", ABC's new hit series, has been fired. Rod Lurie has been replaced by Steven Bochco. The pilot (first episode) was shot almost exclusively in Richmond and with Rod at the helm, it appeared likely that they would be in and out of town shooting footage for future episodes.

One trade report cited as the reason "logistical setbacks" that slowed down production of the series. It's also been reported that he and lead actor Donald Sutherland clashed.

Rod Lurie's movies included "The Contender" with Joan Allen (nominated for an Oscar) aspiring to be the first female vice-president. It was shot in its entirety in Richmond a few years ago.

Edited by burt

I am really trying to stay up-to-date with postings in the Richmond forum but you guys are running me ragged! :wacko:

Hahahaha! Between us and the HR pages you must be bleary-eyed, Guy. Always enjoy hearing from you, and contribute whenever you can.

:)

Edited by burt

Apparently I created a stir in HR with my jubilant Jet Blue news. Maybe I should have posted it under Virginia Off Topic Talk - or better yet, not at all outside of Richmond. Vdogg posts his HR info at RCW under Virginia New Developments, which I always find delightful reading, so it never occurred to me that I was offending anyone down there with our good news.

I'll know better in future.

Apparently I created a stir in HR with my jubilant Jet Blue news. Maybe I should have posted it under Virginia Off Topic Talk - or better yet, not at all outside of Richmond. Vdogg posts his HR info at RCW under Virginia New Developments, which I always find delightful reading, so it never occurred to me that I was offending anyone down there with our good news.

I'll know better in future.

:lol: You're not offending anyone Burt. I always enjoy reading about Richmonds good news, i'd just like for it to be in the appropriate location. You used my post on RCW as an example and I think it's a good one. I think if I were to suddenly start posting all of my updates in the New developments section, which soley deals with richmond, they would have something to say (when I first started posting there the mods moved several of my threads from New developments to Virginia new developments so trust me I know. :rofl: ) Speaking only for myself, it is soley for organizational purposes that I move topics and post. It's my job and the primary job of any mod to keep things somewhat on topic. Since you guys are so well behaved, 90% of what I do involves moving stuff and nothing else.

I think he took me wrong. All I said is that it was HR airports and not Richmond and said that if it did involve HR it would have been fine but it didn't and I felt it shouldn't be there and it should be in the Richmond Airport thread that was all. Maybe I come off a little to aggressive and sorry for that Burt but you have to understand our situation down in HR.

Damn! I'm gone for 24 hours and this site lights up like a Christmas tree! News has been dead for the past 2 weeks and now all of this! This is sweet! I just wished it didn't get so dead from time to time! Anyway, awesome posting while I was gone...it's going to take me all day to finish reading all the posts I missed and reading more about JETBLUE! Hey, guess what? Jetblue is coming to RICHMOND!!! YES!!!! WOO HOO!! (I just love saying that!! He he he he he) :w00t:

I'm just waiting now for US Airways to announce new direct flights out west from Richmond. Maybe a direct flight to Montana? haha yeah right, but still, direct flights to Vegas and Phoenix would be great for RIC

Oh, I wish!! If there were direct flights from Montana to Richmond, I'd be there every weekend!!! You're right though, Coupe...the next super news will be when US Airways opens Richmond to the WEST via the aforementioned cities! Hopefully, even JetBlue might consider a western market from Richmond later on...the possibilities are limitless. Oh, I just thought of something...Richmond even beat out Raleigh/Durham for JetBlue! SWEET!! My day just got even better!!! Damn! Wet my pants again..... :unsure:

Oh, I wish!! If there were direct flights from Montana to Richmond, I'd be there every weekend!!! You're right though, Coupe...the next super news will be when US Airways opens Richmond to the WEST via the aforementioned cities! Hopefully, even JetBlue might consider a western market from Richmond later on...the possibilities are limitless. Oh, I just thought of something...Richmond even beat out Raleigh/Durham for JetBlue! SWEET!! My day just got even better!!! Damn! Wet my pants again..... :unsure:

:rofl::rofl:

Now is the time I wish I had taken up coupe's offer of "link" lessons.

Bob Rayner has an excellent story in today's RTD Business section about revitalization of Richmond's incredible stock of art deco and other styles of architecture. He was inspired simply by looking out the window of his RTD office on Grace street across to the facing block between 3rd and 4th streets.

"Drive through Raleigh, Charlotte or Nashville....You will see nothing to compare to the miles and miles of urban streetscape that define Richmond from Church Hill in the east to The Museum District in the west", he writes.

The article is titled HISTORICAL STRUCTURES CAN BE A VITAL BUILDING BLOCK. Check it out.

Well I'm back from Wahoo country and H-burg.. awesome awesome time! I actually had dinner with TJ on Friday night. Had me over at his 'crib' that some people might know as Monticello. :)

Burt I'd be glad to give you link lessons. Just lemme know when! I've gotta check out this article now.

How nice of Thomas and Sally to greet and fete you at their lovely home!

Hope your hangover isn't too awful after the evening at JMU.

:lol: