Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Hooray!! Somebody besides me believes the alleys in Shockoe Bottom have unexplored potential.

Here's is today's Mash Up video from inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/entertainment/mashup.html

It also has a very revealing piece about the organ at the Byrd Theatre -- one of the very, very few theatre organs remaining in America. Three of them are in Richmond: The Byrd, The Landmark and Carpenter theatres all have organs.

Mash Up may be a pretty strong dose for most staid Richmonders, but I happen to enjoy them each week. This particular one will not offend in any way.

The latest MashUp is on line, but I especially like the one titled ALLEY on the scroll board next to the video because it has the piece about alleys in The Bottom, but particularly because of the section on the Byrd Theatre organ.

Here's a follow-up of the Mashup piece I posted above about the alleys in Shockoe Bottom. The story by Frank Green with slide show is in today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/living.apx.-...08-25-0084.html

Two of my youthful dreams and schemes were to see both sides of 17th Street at the Farmers Market transformed into a sort of International Restaurant destination, and to see the "mysterious" alleys become lively passageways.

Wait long enough, live long enough and YOUR dreams may become true, too!

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

For any of you who have access to Richmond Magazine (my gift subscription arrives by snail mail), here are a couple of items to seek out:

Pages 54/55: Shots of the mayoral candidates. Robert Grey could be a runway model in New York fashion shows.

Pages 68 thru 73: Pictures that may jiggle your mind into thinking you are elsewhere.

Enjoy.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems off topic to me.

I was wondering if anyone had any photo's of the 300 block of North 3rd Street in Richmond before the Convention Center was built?

I've been researching my family tree and discovered my great grandfather was an electrician and had his shop located at 320 N Third Street.

I was quite disappointed to discover it's now a parking lot, as are most of the houses where they lived here in Richmond.

It appears that one previous location of his shop at 312 N 2nd Street is still standing, but there is some renovation work in the area so I can't photo that at this time.

I'd be grateful for any assistance or guidance.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it seems off topic to me.

I was wondering if anyone had any photo's of the 300 block of North 3rd Street in Richmond before the Convention Center was built?

I've been researching my family tree and discovered my great grandfather was an electrician and had his shop located at 320 N Third Street.

I was quite disappointed to discover it's now a parking lot, as are most of the houses where they lived here in Richmond.

It appears that one previous location of his shop at 312 N 2nd Street is still standing, but there is some renovation work in the area so I can't photo that at this time.

I'd be grateful for any assistance or guidance.

I have some pics of N. 3rd before the convention center's expansion. I had set out to take pics of Leigh, Clay, 3rd and 4th just before and during demolition. I have to locate and scan them.

Richmond Chris, if you're still around:

The 300 block of North 3rd Street is between Broad and Marshall. Midway on the west side of that stretch there was a three-story building called Miller's Hotel and I recall vaguely a shop or two north of it toward Marshall Street. Miller's Hotel was there at least into the 1950's.

Ryan Ramsey at http://www.richmondcitywatch.com meticulously photographed all the north/south streets downtown and I'm sure you'll see 312 North 2nd among his pictures.

Sad to say, I can't tell you how to get there. But maybe Cadeho or Wrldcoupe4 can direct you specifically to Ryan's photos of the 300 block of north 2nd street.

Edited by burt

FYI... (for those who care).

I am going to disappear for a bit. I am having some major problems with life in which I may have to do some major traveling to resolve. I just need to step away for a bit and play damage control.

Everyone behave... especially you burt. :P

The shak will be back.

I am going to disappear for a bit. I am having some major problems with life in which I may have to do some major traveling to resolve. I just need to step away for a bit and play damage control.

The shak will be back.

I care, Shak!! And I'll miss you on these boards. Get yourself together as soon as you can. Meanwhile, tune in from time to time from wherever you are in the World. UP is global, remember. :good:

The shak will be back.

I'm sorry I missed this. I hope everything is ok.. and I hope I didn't do it... somehow.

I'm sorry I missed this. I hope everything is ok.. and I hope I didn't do it... somehow.

cad - you are on my good list.

This just some personal matters that I am trying to resolve. So far it seems those on the other side are not interested on their end. Then why should I? I like to give a fair chance.

I have not totally disappeared. I will be around checking on news and events from time to time.

The moon must be full. There's a lot of gun-play going on in the city in the last few days. A cyclist was shot near Maury Street on Southside; two VCU students suffered bullet woulds after an attempted robbery at Goshen and Marshall Streets, and just today it was announced a 10-year old was shot in the East End. It is reported some of the victims sustained life-threatening injuries.

Guns in the hands of idiots! Grrrrrr!!!

The shak will be back.

Best of luck, shak. We'll be here when you return :)

The moon must be full. There's a lot of gun-play going on in the city in the last few days. A cyclist was shot near Maury Street on Southside; two VCU students suffered bullet woulds after an attempted robbery at Goshen and Marshall Streets, and just today it was announced a 10-year old was shot in the East End. It is reported some of the victims sustained life-threatening injuries.

Guns in the hands of idiots! Grrrrrr!!!

The full moon was a few weeks ago... these are just idiots who think everything is solved with a gun. There's nothing we can do about it... it's in the Constitution.

Oh what the hell. Being part of this forum is one the very few bright spots of my life. I need something to make me happy and look forward to. Reading about Richmond's positives makes me smile. There is too much going on in Richmond to temporarily leave. There will be some quite breaks in the middle but...

shak is back.

^^^Maybe we can get our Police Chief back as well...

While I don't like to revel in others' misfortune, I would like to say, on behalf of Richmond who saw so many of her old and esteemed financial institutions head down I-85 never to be seen again ---

SUCK IT, CHARLOTTE!!! :P:lol:

Shhhh... careful... this site's based in you-know-where... :ermm: