Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Funny! :rofl:

What service do you use?

I was going to put FiOS earlier, but it wasn't...my first choice. I ended up switching from Comcast which was my internet and TV provider, and I guess it was just the fact I had finally gotten used to the system when I ended up switching (they jacked up the rates). Comcast's power boost on the internet was noticeably fast and the two computers we had on wireless always had a strong connection. With FiOS during the first two weeks we had to have the technician come to our house 4 times to reprogram our computers because our wireless signals kept going in and out. When they ran the fiber optic line from the box to our house, they cut through our phone line and cable line, so that put another 1-1/2 week delay on beginning service with Verizon. Up until two days ago, we hadn't been able to answer incoming calls and hadn't been able to make outgoing ones on our home phone line. BUT, don't let all that keep you from a possible switch. We got a sweet deal on our phone/internet/tv package; Free HBO and Cinemax subscriptions for a year, two free DVR boxes, three smaller adapters and a new wireless router. About a year ago the Innsbrook, Twin Hickory and Wyndham areas were all equipped with FiOS capability, and neighbors of ours haven't had any problems like we have. Just be sure to be there when Miss Utility is marking up your yard!

So... tonight we went to the Cheesecake Factory....

Nobody noticed?

Anyway I started my Christmas shopping on a very rainy night. I finally used my cards. So I stepped in there and really? That's what the fuss is about? Aesthetically I like it, but it really doesn't have anything that really caters to me. I can't wear anything they sell in all those trendy and designer clothing stores. I was able to buy things for other people. I did however buy one odd thing for myself... a hat... a Richmond, Virginia hat... I would have expected a Henrico, Virginia hat.

Nobody noticed?

Anyway I started my Christmas shopping on a very rainy night. I finally used my cards. So I stepped in there and really? That's what the fuss is about? Aesthetically I like it, but it really doesn't have anything that really caters to me. I can't wear anything they sell in all those trendy and designer clothing stores. I was able to buy things for other people. I did however buy one odd thing for myself... a hat... a Richmond, Virginia hat... I would have expected a Henrico, Virginia hat.

I guess I should mention I went to White Oak on my way back from the airport. I could've sworn I mentioned it before, but Ill say it again. I'm jealous of your fountains, that main entrance is really awesome. I also didn't expect it to be as big as it was, it's really nice having all those stores condensed to one area without having to travel from center to center.

I hope the first fountain was on... for some reason they've been turning it off. The one in the "village" is always on. At night they're pretty. By no means though, don't be jealous. It definitely filled the void and seems to be doing well... maybe a little too many parking lots except Ukrop's which could use a larger lot. My mother wrote Forest City asking for a California Kitchen... we still have space. All the stores haven't opened either. But we're excited for whatever may come. My aunt and I were won over by the Cheesecake Factory... I may try other restaurants at SPTC.

Where is everyone? Burt you're like the only other person posting.

It's often very quiet here on weekends.

Over at RCW, Ryan has posted some excellent pix of Monument Avenue homes in his December Gallery.

He also mentions in the New Development thread a new structure going up on NewMarket property south of the Downtown Expressway and east of Belvidere. Does anyone have info about it?

Edited by burt

He also mentions in the New Development thread a new structure going up on NewMarket property south of the Downtown Expressway and east of Belvidere. Does anyone have info about it?

I believe he is referring to an expansion of the research facilities for Afton Chemical (a subsidiary of New Market). It sure mirror the existing design of the building.

The National Geographic Society lists Richmond as the 81st most historic place in the whole wide world!

But they claim the city's done a lousy job preserving itself.

From the current Style Weekly:

http://styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=...31153BCE309B90D

NOTE: Style grunts a lot on line, but if you're patient the story will come up.

Edited by burt

Style is not coming up at all.

I did find this link http://traveler.nationalgeographic.com/200...america-text/30

And Burt, you've been an advocate for our out of control growth, imagine if we reused what we had/have instead of destroying our countryside where our battlefields and Civil War era defense lines lay. It's definitely going to be a fight in Varina for what's left. We should have been better custodians of our past instead of caving in to developer greed.