Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Burt, I actually think Joey found sarcasm (after missing it the other day).

Shak, to me the Fan and "Museum District" are a part of the West End... near West End by the survey. So the Fan probably shouldn't have had its own choice. It's a neighborhood, not a section of the city.

Burt, I actually think Joey found sarcasm (after missing it the other day).

Shak, to me the Fan and "Museum District" are a part of the West End... near West End by the survey. So the Fan probably shouldn't have had its own choice. It's a neighborhood, not a section of the city.

What is the difference between a "neighborhood" and a "section" ?

Many neighborhods make up a section. Maybe there's a better term, but to me whenever I think of sections of town, I think of either Northside, West End, Southside, East End, and Downtown. I wouldn't say area because there are area names too... like Church Hill which is inside a larger section of town and is also a smaller neighborhood.

Many neighborhods make up a section. Maybe there's a better term, but to me whenever I think of sections of town, I think of either Northside, West End, Southside, East End, and Downtown. I wouldn't say area because there are area names too... like Church Hill which is inside a larger section of town and is also a smaller neighborhood.

Hmmm... I understand your perspective however the definitions can be debatable relative to one's connotation of "neighborhood" and "section".

Edited by Shakman

Edited to include map I made a few years ago. These are my boundaries based on the general descriptions of them. I don't use 95 or 64 but the railroads that predate them. RichmondDirectionsL.gif

True, but I like to follow things strictly, as you may know, true names are important to me. Like with my location. Richmond is the city, East End is the section of town, Greater Church Hill could be argued as the area name, and Woodville is the actual neighborhood/subdivision within those. Remember I'm categorizing each of Richmond's neighborhoods by their legal names in their deeds. Some places are so old, they do not have a legal name, at least on the surface. There are tons of subdivisions in the older sections of the city that seem to appear on map. If I look at the actual deeds for them (which I haven't yet done), they may at first mention what addition they belong such as Rutherfoord's, DuVal's, Coutt's, Nicholson's, Haxall's, and possibly Adam's (I haven't confirmed that one). I hope to correct the city's maps soon.

On another note... it's nice and cold out! I'll be doing Manchester hopefully this afternoon between Commerce, Cowardin, Semmes, and Hull. Anyone want to join me. I will probably need company on the other side of Hull where tons of residential exists now.

Edited by Cadeho

Bainbridge and Porter between Cowardin and 9th done. Today, hopefully Perry, McDonough, and Semmes.

I like Manchester and I really see a lot of progress and its future is looking good. I need to find more information on the old city.

By the way, why does Monroe Properties describe Manchester houses as "Fan styled?" That's a cheap description.

Looks like I scared the people at the UPS building... security didn't like me taking pics near their building... yeah they're THAT important. Suntrust said nothing. So Perry, McDonough, Semmes, Riverview and the forgotten Railroad Av are done.

Tomorrow, I will try to do Hull between 9th and Cowardin. Maybe Decatur too. Still open for company... it'll be in the afternoon until near dusk if I don't get out early enough.

• 3 weeks later...

But the bridge on the southern side is also closed. I don't see how the city plans to cover the pedestrian bridge under the Lee Bridge to protect it from falling concrete by putting up scaffolding... I don't see that working...

Of course people can get on the island... but they were warning people to stay away because emergency vehicles couldn't get on the island and the port-o-potties wouldn't be emptied.

They may have done it before but that doesn't mean the scaffolding would stop falling concrete.

The Great Blue Herons have returned to the James River early this year, and in greater numbers. They are roosting in treetops on an island off the north shore near Shockoe Slip. There are terrific views of the birds from the Pipeline walk under the CSX rail trestle.

Check out Sodawater's "reader reaction" comment at the end of the story in order to access an extraordinary website and slideshow.

From yesterday's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222412/213944/

Edited by burt

Delightful! Andrew has done a great job of rememberance on the opening day of the city's newest movie theater. Aside from the omission of several downtown cinemas (The State between the National and Colonial in the 700 block of East Broad; The Park and The Strand in the 800 block of East Broad; The Hippodrome and Globe in the 400 block of North 2nd Street; the The Booker-T and The Maggie Walker in the 100 block of West Broad; The Biograph in the 800 block of West Grace Street; The Ponton a block below The Venus on Hull Street; The Patrick Henry and The East End in the 400 block of North 25th; The Robinson around P and 29th Streets which just reopened as a community center, as well as the legitimate stage theatre called The Lyric at s/e corner of 9th and Broad) he has hit all bases.

But in the Slideshow he has misidentified the site of the Capitol Theatre. It was next door to the OLD Julian's (not the newer one) in the 2500 block of West Broad Street near the William Byrd Hotel.

Thanks for posting it, Coupe.

Edited by burt

Birthday gifts to myself have arrived. I bought Old Manchester & Its Environs, 1769-1910 and a book that should have been in my collection all along, Architecture in Downtown Richmond. I used to check out the downtown book all the time from St. Chris' library. My copy is signed by Robert Winthrop, Richard Cheek, and Virginius Dabney.