Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Cool, I wanted to see it. I've already looked online but can't find it. Do you know when it will air again? Or what episode it was so I can look to see when it will air again? Thanks.

This should be it :thumbsup: It's not saying it airs anytime soon, but it's also not showing it aired last night. I'm sure it'll be on again by the end of this month though.

This should be it :thumbsup: It's not saying it airs anytime soon, but it's also not showing it aired last night. I'm sure it'll be on again by the end of this month though.

Thanks Tommy, I'll look out for it and happy belated birthday btw.

On the subject of television, does anybody else really like the Pure Michigan promotional ads? They give me a nostalgic feeling. Something about them, maybe the guy's voice or the classic American family movie background music...... What do you all think?

You can view them here (or on youtube they have more)

http://www.michigan.org/

Edited by evanf

• 2 weeks later...

I took a quick tour of Downtown Richmond today with my family. It was a very impressive city. I had been there before, but never really explored down there. Didn't know how urban it was. The skyline was much more dense than Norfolk's (hate to say it). The canal walk was pretty cool. I'm not creating a Norfolk vs. Richmond debate, but the thing i noticed was Richmond was a ghost town on a memorial day weekend! Richmond had no on street retail, and very few national fast food restaurants in the city. One thing I think Norfolk could take notes from, is the amount of green spaces amongst the urban streetscapes. Overall, Richmond is a great city, but I will still stick with Norfolk.

I took a quick tour of Downtown Richmond today with my family. It was a very impressive city. I had been there before, but never really explored down there. Didn't know how urban it was. The skyline was much more dense than Norfolk's (hate to say it). The canal walk was pretty cool. I'm not creating a Norfolk vs. Richmond debate, but the thing i noticed was Richmond was a ghost town on a memorial day weekend! Richmond had no on street retail, and very few national fast food restaurants in the city. One thing I think Norfolk could take notes from, is the amount of green spaces amongst the urban streetscapes. Overall, Richmond is a great city, but I will still stick with Norfolk.

You're right. Downtown Richmond is generally a ghost town during daylight hours on weekends, but late on Friday and Saturday nights clubs and bars in Shockoe Slip and The Bottom cause traffic jams on East Cary and Main Streets. About 70,000 people work downtown Mondays thru Fridays and streets are comfortably filled. Not a whole lot of National fast food places in the core, but you'll find plenty of them in and around the VCU Academic campus. Also a large number of food wagons dispensing a variety of options are on practically every major business district street corner mid-day as well as many upscale restaurants serving lunch and dinner throughout the area. Richmond is a sort of scratch-your-head kind of place -- one minute you think you're in a calm mid-sized southern city and the next you can be overwhelmed by big-city offerings. The National and Gibsons Grill, a popular club and entertainment venue owned by the operators of NorVa, is bringing nighttime traffic back to East Broad Street. Center Stage will open a block away from The Nat in September and the nearby Coliseum still attracts crowds.

Edited by burt

You're right. Downtown Richmond is generally a ghost town during daylight hours on weekends, but late on Friday and Saturday nights clubs and bars in Shockoe Slip and The Bottom cause traffic jams on East Cary and Main Streets. About 70,000 people work downtown Mondays thru Fridays and streets are comfortably filled. Not a whole lot of National fast food places in the core, but you'll find plenty of them in and around the VCU Academic campus. Also a large number of food wagons dispensing a variety of options are on practically every major business district street corner mid-day as well as many upscale restaurants serving lunch and dinner throughout the area. Richmond is a sort of scratch-your-head kind of place -- one minute you think you're in a calm mid-sized southern city and the next you can be overwhelmed by big-city offerings. The National and Gibsons Grill, a popular club and entertainment venue owned by the operators of NorVa, is bringing nighttime traffic back to East Broad Street. Center Stage will open a block away from The Nat in September and the nearby Coliseum still attracts crowds.

Yeah, Norfolk is just like that, minus the food wagons. Weekends are generally calm, unless there is one of the many festivals or events happening like a Tides game or a big play or concert. Foot traffic on a weekday is comfortably busy. The only fast food restaurants Downtown offers in the urban core is Zero's, Subway, a few Deli's, ect, but amongst the CBD we have MacArthur Center which offers a variety of food choices. How many people live in Downtown Richmond? Norfolk has about 5,000.. Employment about 35,000. But yes, Richmond feels way bigger.

Last I heard, about 6,500 people reside within the official downtown borders bounded by I-95 to the north and east, the James River to the south and Belvidere Street to the west. Some people extend the boundaries to include Historic Church Hill, Shockoe Bottom and Tobacco Row to the east, a few blocks of Manchester south of the river and Lombardy Street in Carver, Oregon Hill and the Lower Fan to the west, which would add easily another 3,500 to the downtown population...and that excludes VCU with its seasonal housing population of several thousand in dorms and apartments between Belvidere and Lombardy Streets.

The Greater Richmond Convention Center adjacent to The Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn and The Coliseum is the largest meeting hall in the State capable of handling conventions, boat and garden shows, etc. Its separate 35,000 s/f ballroom is often used for political events. Brown's Island in The James River near the Federal Reserve Bank and Tredegar historial museums is the equivalent of your Town Point Park and hosts frequent festivals.

Richmond may look sleepy during the day on weekends, but it's pretty active otherwise.

That's one thing I like about downtown actually on weekends is that I can ahve the place to myself. Although, I wouldn't mind a little more activity on weekends and after hours. From what one of the channels showed, Friday Cheers was very packed.

Yeah, Norfolk is just like that, minus the food wagons. Weekends are generally calm, unless there is one of the many festivals or events happening like a Tides game or a big play or concert. Foot traffic on a weekday is comfortably busy. The only fast food restaurants Downtown offers in the urban core is Zero's, Subway, a few Deli's, ect, but amongst the CBD we have MacArthur Center which offers a variety of food choices. How many people live in Downtown Richmond? Norfolk has about 5,000.. Employment about 35,000. But yes, Richmond feels way bigger.

When I walk through both downtowns, I get sense of Downtown Richmond being more verticle and dense.

I wonder who has the largest square footage of development between both downtowns, Tyson's Corner and Rosslyn?

Edited by Shakman

When I walk through both downtowns, I get sense of Downtown Richmond being more verticle and dense.

I wonder who has the largest square footage of development between both downtowns, Tyson's Corner and Rosslyn?

True. We are working on our density factor. 26 story Westin, 22 story Wells Fargo office building, 9 story hotel just completed, 9 story medical building, 3- 7 story apartment buildings finishing up....

Edited by varider

• 2 weeks later...

It's not even Church Hill... see, this is why actual neighborhood names and proper place names are important. I remember you all shot me down over this.

Also, Henrico proved it's all in a name as their name change did bring them money.

Edited by Cadeho

The list shocked me alot. Some of those cities I didn't expect to have such dangerous neighborhoods like Cincinnati I would of never thought been the number 1 and Detroit I would of never expected to be number 24. I expected Detroit to be in the top 5. But to see Chicago on the list 5 times doesn't shock me. I have a friend from Chicago I recently went back to his home in suburban Chicago and when I went into the city I was like wow there are some rough people in this city. But then you have some ultra nice neighborhoods too. Was a very impressive city.