Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Yes, I'm so jealous! New York gets new highrises like Richmond gets sunny days!...it's so commonplace! How does Richmond pull something like that off??? I think it's up to you, BURT, to educated the New Yorkers up there to move their HQs to Richmond, Virginia!! It's cheaper there and the quality of life is awesome!! BURT, you need to be a Richmond ambassador! :)

Who do you think was behind the Phillip Morris and Prudential (Wachovia) moves? Moi?

Hahahaha. Not quite, but my karma thinks positively!!

:)

Norfolk will be hosting the touring company of THE LION KING for about 5 weeks at Chrysler Hall beginning in December. Norfolk has previously hosted extended runs of profitable touring companies of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and MISS SAIGON and other performance attractions.

If your autocratic ill-advised Mayor would allow the Performing Arts Center to go forward, you could probably book such attractions into Richmond at a wonderfully enhanced Carpenter Center for long runs and reap huge economic benefits. The Ballet, Symphony and Opera would also benefit. If that's elitist, so be it. It's also enriching.

Edited by burt

the Carpenter Center's restoration and expansion should be the #1 priority. It was promised to be a priority when the Carpenter Center's foundation merged with the VAPAF unless I'm mistaken. I think Wilder would very much like the see the Carpenter Center finished. I'd like to see it completed as soon as possible. IT was supposed to be complete in 2007. Now who knows?

Is the landmark too large or too acoustically challenged for such attractions?

I saw Seinfeld do standup last year at the landmark... great show, but I did notice that some of the gold leaf was starting to flake in spots on the ceiling. It's city owned if I'm not mistaken? That should be fixed asap.

The Landmark is not only acoustically challenging, but it's wide stage is not deep enough to accommodate the big ones. Sightlines, also, are not great. With 3600 seats, it's not ideal for extended runs which attract bus loads of tourists from miles away who occupy hotel rooms and patronize restaurants. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST played a two-week run, but most touring shows are in and out in a week.

In order to enlarge the stagehouse at the Carpenter, I am almost positive that some of the Thalhimer land would be required, and we know about that stalemate!

Interestingly enough, I have read in times past how bad the acoustics are at Chrysler Hall but they don't seem to have any problems booking big acts there at any rate.

It's an ideal size (2500 seats) for touring shows, Guy, and has a deep 50 foot stage. I've heard also that accoustically it has faults, but with good sound equipment, that's a problem that can be dealt with. The next largest in town, The Harrison Opera House (1700 seats) has a surprisingly shallow stage - only about 28 feet, and the Roper's stage is even smaller.

World renowned tap dancer SAVION GLOVER filled the 600-seat Jepson Theatre at UR for two performances this week.

Guy, when you get a chance, go to see something at the beautiful new 1700-seat Ferguson Center at Christopher Newport in Newport News. I hear it a stunning, state-of-the-art facility and a HUGE plus for the Peninsula.

It's an ideal size (2500 seats) for touring shows, Guy, and has a deep 50 foot stage. I've heard also that accoustically it has faults, but with good sound equipment, that's a problem that can be dealt with. The next largest in town, The Harrison Opera House (1700 seats) has a surprisingly shallow stage - only about 28 feet, and the Roper's stage is even smaller.

The President will be speaking at Chrysler Hall tomorrow.

I went to My Controls trying to reset my clock, because it is posting an hour later than it really is. Just want to see when I post this message if it has been corrected.

Nope. It's still reading 1:30 instead of 12:30. Oh, well, guess I'll live with it.

Edited by burt

yes.. and I'm still baffled about where our VAPAF discussion went.... I guess it fell into the abyss?

Where is our leader, vdogg? Does he know about all this?

At least, we still have the Dayton thing and you have my correspondence with Judy Ford. I hope you dig into it as we discussed.

Edited by burt

Wanna help shape Richmond's future? You can....how?

1st, fill out this short survey: Help Shape Richmond's Future ...... The Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring the survey. It takes about 10-15 minutes to complete.

"The Greater Richmond Chamber of Commerce and the Greater Richmond Partnership will present Vision 20/10, A Mid-Decade Update, on November 18th at the Siegel Center. Regional leaders, residents and the media will gather to assess overall resident satisfaction with the Greater Richmond Region's quality of life and to identify priorities for the next 5 years.

Please actively participate (and make your voice heard) by taking a few minutes to fill out a brief online survey.

The survey should take approximately 12 minutes to complete. Findings and insights from this study will be shared at the Vision 20/10 event. Once you have shared your thoughts, please remember to register to attend this free event on November 18th from 7:00am-12:00pm at the Siegel Center."

Go here to read up on the event at the GRCC's website... there is also a pdf file showing the goals of Vision 20/10 GRCC Vision 20/10