Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

The River James looks pretty angry in this RVANews Picture of The Day by Sandy's Dad.

Wonder when it was taken?

http://rvanews.com/features/winter-on-the-james/82840

This is a much clearer rendition of the first picture.

Georgeglass, you live near the James.  Has the river been this rough recently?

http://rvanews.com/features/james-river-4/82847

It looks like the Richmond region has added another multi-millionaire to it's ranks. The winning Powerball ticket for the $217 million drawing was sold in the Richmond area.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news/richmond-area-powerball-ticket-big-winner-in-million-drawing/article_a689f8ae-710a-11e2-82f6-0019bb30f31a.html

The ticket is worth about $136 million as a lump sum.

I wonder if that person is aware that he/she is a multi-millionaire?

From today's RTD:

Click both pictures and read captions.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/local/million-powerball-ticket-sold-at-richmond-airport-machine/article_a689f8ae-710a-11e2-82f6-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=image&photo=1

I haven't seen it up that close, but it has definitely been up lately. I drive over The James everyday on the Powhite bridge and the other day the water was over all of the rocks. I have wanted to walk down closer, but I've been working and haven't had a chance. I did walk down Riverside Dr the other day and it did look pretty rough from up above. I was living at Rocketts Landing, but we moved into a house in Westover Hills at the end of November. We are still pretty close to the River, just a few streets from the Nickel Bridge.

BLIZZARD ALERT for the northeast today, Friday, February 8th, 2013:

If you're planning to travel this weekend check The Weather Channel.  

Rain mixed with snow began about an hour ago in NYCity and about 3 inches may accumulate by 6PM.  Then it is expected to get far worse with dropping temperatures, winds up to 40MPH and snow accumulating to a foot overnight.

Further north conditions are expected to be far worse.  Boston may get 3 feet of snow.

Some of the coastal areas in Jersey and New York that are still suffering from the effects of Sandy are bracing for another assault.

This Nor'Easter storm is called Nemo. 

Edited by burt

BLIZZARD ALERT for the northeast today, Friday, February 8th, 2013:

If you're planning to travel this weekend check The Weather Channel.  

Rain mixed with snow began about an hour ago in NYCity and about 3 inches may accumulate by 6PM.  Then it is expected to get far worse with dropping temperatures, winds up to 40MPH and snow accumulating to a foot overnight.

Further north conditions are expected to be far worse.  Boston may get 3 feet of snow.

Some of the coastal areas in Jersey and New York that are still suffering from the effects of Sandy are bracing for another assault.

This Nor'Easter storm is called Nemo. 

It's 12:57 PM as I write this (my Urban Planet clock is still on Daylight time.)

Looking out my window here in Manhattan the streets are wet but pedestians are not using umbrellas.  Nothing is falling at the moment, but forecasts predict that the dividing line between anticipated rain and snow is moving south of the city and that the cold front approaching from the northwest will clash with a big low pressure system off the Virginia coast later today bringing lots of snow to New York City,

1:28PM

Uh oh!  Since last report the sidewalks in Manhattan are getting white with sleet and Mayor Bloomberg is on TV warning of possibly 12 to 18 inches of snow overnight. 

Just about all flights will be cancelled at the 3 airports and Amtrak is suspending service north of the city.

I'm going out to the store now to stock up on supplies.

Survived Nemo.  11 1/2 inches of snow in Central Park.  Major streets are cleared and subways are running with somewhat limited bus service.

Eastern Long Island (Suffolk County) got the worst of it in Metro New York -- 30 inches.

Slush in the gutters -- especially at street corners -- is the next thing to contend with.

• 3 months later...

Just joined the forum today but have been reading it since 2008.  I am a Richmond native but do not presently live in Virginia.  Not sure how often I will post but I thought that I would introduce myself. 

Welcome (officially) to the forum.  I also am a UVA grad (Col '02) and a native of Richmond.  I just moved back to Virginia (NOVA) after more than a decade living out west, so it will be nice to hear from someone else who isn't currently living in Richmond on this forum.  Sometimes, us "hometown outsiders" (just like Burt) can provide a different perspective than others who live, and have lived, in Richmond most of their lives.  We have seen other ideas that work in other cities, we clearly see the inherent problem with the city/county separation/cooperation issue, etc., but we also see what a gem Richmond really is and its overall potential.  So, with that, please feel free to post at will!  Again, welcome!  Go Hoos!

I appreciate welcome and agree that Richmond has great potential -- but it remains largely untapped.  The fact that Richmond is probably the most historically significant city in the United States is a tremendous advantage and is something that cannot be faked or created elsewhere.  With that, and the sheer natural beauty of the place, Richmond has the foundation to be a truly special city (more than it already is) if some of the biggest hurdles, especially the lack of regional cooperation, can be overcome.

• 2 months later...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/30/hot-u-s-cities-that-offer-both-jobs-and-culture-are-mostly-southern-and-modest-sized.html

"Like the Texas state capital and the legendary Crescent City, most of our top cities are located in the American South and lower Midwest, and they attract businesses and people not only from other sections of the country but also increasingly from abroad as well. These include No. 3, Houston, and the smaller but burgeoning oil town of No. 4, Oklahoma City. These are followed by three fast-growing, low-cost Southern cities: No. 5, Raleigh-Cary, North Carolina; No. 6, Nashville; and No. 7, Richmond, Virginia."

1375177255412.cached.png

This is good news!  Hey look!  We actually beat Charlotte in something!  See Richmond, we've got so much going for us, but we can do so much better!  Richmond.com has been doing this story where a guy has been comparing Richmond to other cities he's been visiting over the past few weeks and I have to say, he is spot on regarding his recommendations to make Richmond better!  People in Richmond need to get out of the state and see what other cities are doing or have done to 1) realize Richmond's potential, 2) understand that Richmond has much to improve upon and can be THE best city to live!  I have no doubt about that!  Richmond just needs to implement these suggestions.  You can see his articles here:

http://www.richmond.com/city-life/article_bd526782-f888-11e2-a49e-001a4bcf6878.html

Note that there is a link to week 1 and 2 at the top of this article.  What do you all think?

It seems Richmond is earning quite a large number of quirky and neat accolades lately.

Look at this article from back on May 31st of this year from New Geography. "The Cities That Are Stealing Finance Jobs from Wall Street" is the title of the article.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/003753-the-cities-that-are-stealing-finance-jobs-from-wall-street

What city skyline is in that picture? ;)

That's right, Outside's Best River Town is also the number ONE large city in America for finance jobs.

It seems Richmond is earning quite a large number of quirky and neat accolades lately.

Look at this article from back on May 31st of this year from New Geography. "The Cities That Are Stealing Finance Jobs from Wall Street" is the title of the article.

http://www.newgeography.com/content/003753-the-cities-that-are-stealing-finance-jobs-from-wall-street

What city skyline is in that picture? ;)

That's right, Outside's Best River Town is also the number ONE large city in America for finance jobs.

Wow!  Who would have thought that Richmond would be at the top of that list out of 66 metro areas!  I didn't even realize the fiancial base Richmond had until it was broken down in the article, but yeah, they're right!  With all the things Richmond has going for it, it's a wonder that Richmond isn't thought of as such a great place by most.  Granted, people who know (and I mean, really know) Richmond, understand its greatness and potential, but others outside of that small circle, do not know.  Perhaps Richmond needs to be better at marketing itself (a few attempts to do this in the past 20 years or so have failed IMHO).  I'd argue to say that most people would say that the only thing they know about Richmond is that it was the Conferate Capital during the Civil War.  Really?  In a way, that's such a crappy thing to be known for, simply because it carries with it a negative connotation (history buffs might beg to differ, but they are not the majority of people).  Richmond really has to do better to "clean" up its image.  Another negative thing I've heard about Richmond is how it looks and smells when people drive up and down I-95.  I have to agree that when I was a kid, that area didn't smell too good (due to the water treatment facility and Philip Morris' smell of tobacco), but I haven't noticed a bad smell around there lately (maybe I've been lucky).  I would love to see Richmond clean up the I-95 corridor.  For example, get rid of those green dividers (which are mostly missing) that sit on top of the barriers that divide the north and southbound traffic (those are awful!).  A good street cleaning every once in a while would be nice too.  They need to clean up the debris and trash that collects on the side of the road and median.  Perhaps some thoughtful landscaping throughout the area and a cool "RVA" sign as you enter the metro area at the extreme south portion of the area on I-95 and another sign at the most northern portion of the metro on I-95.  This would be a great start, but I'm interested in hearing any of your suggestions/thoughts if you have any to share.

Wow!  Who would have thought that Richmond would be at the top of that list out of 66 metro areas!  I didn't even realize the fiancial base Richmond had until it was broken down in the article, but yeah, they're right!  With all the things Richmond has going for it, it's a wonder that Richmond isn't thought of as such a great place by most.  Granted, people who know (and I mean, really know) Richmond, understand its greatness and potential, but others outside of that small circle, do not know.  Perhaps Richmond needs to be better at marketing itself (a few attempts to do this in the past 20 years or so have failed IMHO).  I'd argue to say that most people would say that the only thing they know about Richmond is that it was the Conferate Capital during the Civil War.  Really?  In a way, that's such a crappy thing to be known for, simply because it carries with it a negative connotation (history buffs might beg to differ, but they are not the majority of people).  Richmond really has to do better to "clean" up its image.  Another negative thing I've heard about Richmond is how it looks and smells when people drive up and down I-95.  I have to agree that when I was a kid, that area didn't smell too good (due to the water treatment facility and Philip Morris' smell of tobacco), but I haven't noticed a bad smell around there lately (maybe I've been lucky).  I would love to see Richmond clean up the I-95 corridor.  For example, get rid of those green dividers (which are mostly missing) that sit on top of the barriers that divide the north and southbound traffic (those are awful!).  A good street cleaning every once in a while would be nice too.  They need to clean up the debris and trash that collects on the side of the road and median.  Perhaps some thoughtful landscaping throughout the area and a cool "RVA" sign as you enter the metro area at the extreme south portion of the area on I-95 and another sign at the most northern portion of the metro on I-95.  This would be a great start, but I'm interested in hearing any of your suggestions/thoughts if you have any to share.

Well even though RVA can't market itself correctly :P, the brand development and exposure by other media outlets surely help get the name spread across. And I do think RVA probably is the best attempt of bringing together and binding the city's pride and resources together.

I would like to see a nice RVA sign in both the north/south entrances to the city/area, but also in the city, especially driving northbound across the James (best angle looking at the Skyline (although the Fed and MWV views are neglected from this point)). I would certainly like to see something with the RVA brand unfurled across the cityscape. I'd also like to see many of the (financially unfeasible) options suggested by that guy from Richmond.com implemented from different cities, all incorporated into one city (Richmond), creating the best possible place with the best kind of options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.baconsrebellion.com/

I came across this interesting site while checking out VA Beach development on this site. There are some interesting articles that I haven seen elsewhere (lots of NOVA and Tidewater development stuff, some Richmond stuff too).

Yeah, I really like that site, I believe the guy is based in Richmond though.

In totally unrelated news, Washington D.C. is going to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. You'd think this wouldn't concern us, except for the tiny last bit part of the article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/washington-dc-bid-2024-summer-olympics-20079590?singlePage=true

Check the 2nd to last paragraph. Can you imagine how huge it would be? Of course, it would be concentrated around DC, but this is too good to believe. I'm sure Baltimore and Richmond officials will surely help DC out with this.

• 1 month later...

Bill's Barbecue on the Boulevard was demolished yesterday.

According to the the demolition person in an article by the Times-Dispatch, it will become a "clean parking lot". Yay. A clean (surface) parking lot.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/business/retail/bill-s-barbecue-on-boulevard-a-pile-of-rubble/article_09a2d8c8-acad-5428-a138-fa89ba4475d6.html

The sign is also for sale. I would rather it go to the Valentine Richmond Museum though, it is somewhat symbolic of Richmond history.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, the RTD is ticking me off!  Apparently, they have put limit on the number of articles you can read in a 30-day period!  Well, I exceeded my 20 articles several days ago (I never knew there was a limit) and now I can't read any article without subscribing (paying a fee).  Dang!  I don't even know when the 30-day period ends and begins!  Frustrating!  Anyway, if anyone has access to pertinent articles in the in RTD please post here if legal to do!  Thanks!  Anyone else having this problem?