Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Okay, the RTD is ticking me off!  Apparently, they have put limit on the number of articles you can read in a 30-day period!  Well, I exceeded my 20 articles several days ago (I never knew there was a limit) and now I can't read any article without subscribing (paying a fee).  Dang!  I don't even know when the 30-day period ends and begins!  Frustrating!  Anyway, if anyone has access to pertinent articles in the in RTD please post here if legal to do!  Thanks!  Anyone else having this problem?

Chrome browser < Incognito Browsing (or other private browsing options on other browsers)

Luckily the RTD isn't smart enough to detect this kind of thing. Whenever I come to an RTD link, I use Chrome, so I just right click and select "open link in incognito window". 

;)

• 3 weeks later...

Study: Best Big Cities to Live and Work

http://www.creditdonkey.com/where-live-work.html

6. Richmond, VA

richmond.jpg RICHMOND, VIRGINIA

• Violent Crime: 243.4 per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Unemployment Rate: 6.0%
  • Employee Wages: $45,720
  • Restaurants Per Capita: 1 per 1,329 inhabitants

About two hours south of Washington, DC, is the city of Richmond. While Richmond might not be on the radar as much as some of the other cities mentioned on this list, by no means does that make it second rate. Richmond has the lowest violent crime rate out of all of the cities we researched. It ranked 9th in unemployment and 15th in restaurants per capita. If that isn’t enough to get you interested in this city, then head out to the Richmond International Raceway, where you can see top rate NASCAR drivers soaring at top speeds.

Did you know: The first canned beer was delivered to Richmond beer drinkers on January 24, 1935 by the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Co. With a 91% approval rating, the company gave the go ahead to continue production.

Study: Best Big Cities to Live and Work

http://www.creditdonkey.com/where-live-work.html

6. Richmond, VA

richmond.jpg RICHMOND, VIRGINIA

• Violent Crime: 243.4 per 100,000 inhabitants
  • Unemployment Rate: 6.0%
  • Employee Wages: $45,720
  • Restaurants Per Capita: 1 per 1,329 inhabitants

About two hours south of Washington, DC, is the city of Richmond. While Richmond might not be on the radar as much as some of the other cities mentioned on this list, by no means does that make it second rate. Richmond has the lowest violent crime rate out of all of the cities we researched. It ranked 9th in unemployment and 15th in restaurants per capita. If that isn’t enough to get you interested in this city, then head out to the Richmond International Raceway, where you can see top rate NASCAR drivers soaring at top speeds.

Did you know: The first canned beer was delivered to Richmond beer drinkers on January 24, 1935 by the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Co. With a 91% approval rating, the company gave the go ahead to continue production.

More notice from national media outlets. Can probably expect to see this in RVANews and/or Richmond.com tomorrow. Great find!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I'm not sure if this is the place to post something like this... but I'll give it a go!

I'm single, 28 and currently living in Charlotte... which I'm surprised to find out actually has one of the more speedy subforums around here.  Didn't expect Richmond's to be so slow!  Anyways, I work for CSX, I'm a Conductor... and right now, deeply furloughed.  Been looking around at places I stand for work... but most of them are pretty much in BFE.  Manchester, GA... Fitzgerald, GA... Waycross, GA.  There's Augusta too but... eww.  Anyways, turns out I stand for a good number of turns on the Richmond to Rocky Mount run.  I could qualify in just 4 or 5 round trips and be ready to work.  Now I have friends from online (WoW... so sue me!) that I could stay with... maybe.  Not sure.  But I'm still interested in what parts of Richmond I should be looking at in case I need to find my own place later on.  I don't like the suburbs... I like urban or non-suburban neighborhoods.  Best examples from Charlotte I can give (if you're familiar with them) are Uptown (because Charlotte refuses to call it "downtown" because we're weirdos), South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood... those are the kind of places I like.  What would be similar places in Richmond and how are they as far as affordability?

Only ever been to Richmond a couple of times before to see shows at The National.

Edited by TotalLamer

So I'm not sure if this is the place to post something like this... but I'll give it a go!

I'm single, 28 and currently living in Charlotte... which I'm surprised to find out actually has one of the more speedy subforums around here.  Didn't expect Richmond's to be so slow!  Anyways, I work for CSX, I'm a Conductor... and right now, deeply furloughed.  Been looking around at places I stand for work... but most of them are pretty much in BFE.  Manchester, GA... Fitzgerald, GA... Waycross, GA.  There's Augusta too but... eww.  Anyways, turns out I stand for a good number of turns on the Richmond to Rocky Mount run.  I could qualify in just 4 or 5 round trips and be ready to work.  Now I have friends from online (WoW... so sue me!) that I could stay with... maybe.  Not sure.  But I'm still interested in what parts of Richmond I should be looking at in case I need to find my own place later on.  I don't like the suburbs... I like urban or non-suburban neighborhoods.  Best examples from Charlotte I can give (if you're familiar with them) are Uptown (because Charlotte refuses to call it "downtown" because we're weirdos), South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood... those are the kind of places I like.  What would be similar places in Richmond and how are they as far as affordability?

Only ever been to Richmond a couple of times before to see shows at The National.

If you like urban neighborhoods, Richmond's all full of them. The architecture is lovely and varies in style with each neighborhood. 

• The Fan is full of young families and college students/professors. To put it in scale, you can probably liken it to the Back Bay in Boston. Lots of restaurants and very close to some excellent museums like the VMFA or Virginia Historical Society. It is a little pricey though, won't lie.
  • Another place is Manchester. It's a very not really gritty as much industrial and rustic neighborhood. Many good infill projects and historic rehab apartment buildings being built and fixed up down here. Right across the river. Most buildings have excellent skyline views. Caters to young professionals like you. Probably would fit in here a lot. Also differs greatly in price and sizes from Fan, where Fan tends to be more expensive and are more rowhouse type units, Manchester is better with prices but offer mostly apartments and studios.
  • Shockoe Bottom was probably the hottest young professional apartment neighborhood in Richmond before young professional apartment neighborhoods became hot in Richmond. Lots of bars and restaurants. Used to be a heavy nightclub scene down here (heavy as in drunken 2am bar fight heavy), but is now becoming safer thanks to the sheer influx of apartments in this area. Right east from downtown. Very urban. Some of the museum attractions include the Holocaust Museum of Virginia and the Poe Museum (don't let anyone tell you different, he died in Baltimore, but otherwise we are his real home.)
  • While Shockoe Bottom is below the floodplain, Richmond has a lot of high-elevation neighborhoods as well. Just sitting above Shockoe Bottom is Church Hill, a neighborhood that can best be characterized by it's exploding dining scene. In the past few years, there have been very stellar dining options opening up here (one of my favorites include Dutch & Co, along with some others like Proper Pie Co, Sub Rosa Bakery and The Roosevelt.) On the western border of downtown, just across the Downtown Expressway from The Fan is Oregon Hill. Cherry Hill is a really sough-after residential address, and Oregon Hill has a sort of charm. Plenty of bike shops too, I will note. Also it is just east of the historic Hollywood Cemetery, and it sits pretty, overlooking the James River and Gambles Hill. At the bottom of that hill you can find the historic Tredegar Iron Works.
  • Jackson Ward is very close to Downtown and the National, as well as the Convention Center. It has a lot of rowhouse like homes as well. It used to be a hotbed for African American culture, in the 1920s, it was Richmond's own Harlem. Some patchy areas tend to be gritty, but otherwise, this neighborhood has been on the upswing for decades now, and is quite affordable and not all that bad as it used to be.
  • Very recently, (like past year or so), a very, very industrial neighborhood (more so than Manchester, which says something) called Scott's Addition started catching the eye of developers. Old, abandoned, worn out warehouses are now being converted into more apartments and studios. Right now there might be something along the lines of 2 to 3,000 units of residential under construction over there. Also, this is a brewery hotspot now. Ardent Craft Ales and Isley Brothers Brewing are both set to open sometime this year. The neighborhood is located just west of the Diamond and that area, and borders the Fan by Broad Street.
  • Other very nice neighborhoods include Woodland Heights, Windsor Farms and Carillon.

Some other things you should consider is that Richmond is an eclectic town. And the neighborhoods I listed aren't the only ones out there that provide a good experience and neat environment. I listed a lot of breweries and museums because young people like you would tend to be into that kind of thing (plus, the beer scene here is exploding). Not to mention, affordability comes within people's own limits. I can't guarantee you'd find anything "affordable" per se, because my definition and yours could be entirely different.

But anyway, if you want a summary, look through that list of neighborhoods. Pick one and start doing some research on it. Find median home prices (sale or rent), look for attractions you'd like nearby (restaurants, groceries, museums, retail, etc) and find your ideal neighborhood. I guarantee you, there's a neighborhood in this city that you'll love. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the write-up!   So far Manchster sounds like the place for me.  Or maybe Scott's Addition.

The main thing with affordability is, well... I'm not 100% sure how much money I'd be making.  Honestly, not even close.  That's one of the weird things about working on the railroad... one Conductor can make wildly more than another just depending on the job they're holding down that week... holding down a scheduled job in the yard is cushy and convenient, but you'll be netting less than 3k/month.  While in some places you can net 8k+ per month working the road. 

Ideally, however, I imagine I'd be looking to spend no more than 1k/month on rent + utilities.

Edited by TotalLamer

If you like urban neighborhoods, Richmond's all full of them. The architecture is lovely and varies in style with each neighborhood. 

• The Fan is full of young families and college students/professors. To put it in scale, you can probably liken it to the Back Bay in Boston. Lots of restaurants and very close to some excellent museums like the VMFA or Virginia Historical Society. It is a little pricey though, won't lie.  

[sNIP]

Very good write up RVA.  I would like to add that the western side of the Fan including the Museum District and Carytown can have some cheaper accommodations as well.

Since you bring up train-yards: Scott's Addition is next to the major CSX yard, Acca.  The Fan and Lakeside neighborhoods are also very close.  Shockoe and Church Hill are close to the eastern train-yard in Fulton (which happens to be my view from Rocketts Landing).  There is another train-yard in South-side near Manchester as well though I know nothing of its significance.

Cheap, but they have a maximum income disappointingly.

Yeah, just noticed they cutoff at "mid income".  Not really sure what that means exactly.

Very good write up RVA.  I would like to add that the western side of the Fan including the Museum District and Carytown can have some cheaper accommodations as well.

Since you bring up train-yards: Scott's Addition is next to the major CSX yard, Acca.  The Fan and Lakeside neighborhoods are also very close.  Shockoe and Church Hill are close to the eastern train-yard in Fulton (which happens to be my view from Rocketts Landing).  There is another train-yard in South-side near Manchester as well though I know nothing of its significance.

Yeah living close to work would be nice.  At least I would assume the A-Line runs through Acca, no idea!  

I think Jackson Ward is the best neighborhood. It is within walking distance to downtown (the National is just a few blocks) and just a few blocks to the bars, restaurants and music venues of the lower Fan (I assume you are into seeing bands... Strange Matter, the Camel and Empire are all under a 6 to 8 block walk). The Ward is quickly becoming too fancy though. The restaurant scene has really heated up lately (Lucy's, Max's, Rouge Gentleman, Saison... and in the works an upscale pizza joint, whiskey bar and a vegan bakery). The new restaurants are in addition to a few of Richmond's best.

Oregon Hill would be my second choice (for the same reasons that I like Jackdon Ward) , the Fan a close third. I like to drink beer (nearly every bar in town has excellent beer on tap) , see bands and walk home. Look for places close to VCU if you want an urban lifestyle. Carytown is lovely (really very nice, especially on good weather days!) but can feel really small if you spend too much time there and there is little nightlife.

Manchester is having the biggest building boom right now but personally, I don't think that it is ready. I wouldn't enjoy living there. The breweries are cool (beer and cider) and the views are great, but food is limited and it isn't very walkable.

You really can't go wrong choosing Richmond. It is way more cool than you ever thought, once you makes few connections.

Edited by Brent
  • Like 1