Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

http://rvamag.com/rvaontap

Check out RVA Magazine. There are a handful of breweries (I like Triple Crossing downtown) around the downtown area. Hardywood does a good job of booking bands and other events. Blue Bee produces cider in the Manchester neighborhood. A place that makes mead is opening soon in Scott's Addition. I believe that a distillery or two is on the way

For the "vibe" I'd try Ipanema (they have a free live music program on Sunday nights - it may be seasonal) , Baliceaux (story telling nights, bands, dancing opportunities), Strange Matter (can be young on some nights but they book good bands and have fun dance parties - new wave, glam rock and post punk themed), Gallery 5 also books bands and events (craft fairs, vintage clothing sales, burlesque, art shows), Saison Market is nice for Saturday lunch and happy hour drinks (small, cozy with good beer and friendly staff).

Clothing is a bit more difficult (for men any way). Need Supply in Carytown carries some jeans, shirts and shoes... That's about it. There is another mall south of the river, Stoney Point, that has national retailers but with less sprawl and fewer teenagers loafing about.

http://rvamag.com/rvaontap

Check out RVA Magazine. There are a handful of breweries (I like Triple Crossing downtown) around the downtown area. Hardywood does a good job of booking bands and other events. Blue Bee produces cider in the Manchester neighborhood. A place that makes mead is opening soon in Scott's Addition. I believe that a distillery or two is on the way

For the "vibe" I'd try Ipanema (they have a free live music program on Sunday nights - it may be seasonal) , Baliceaux (story telling nights, bands, dancing opportunities), Strange Matter (can be young on some nights but they book good bands and have fun dance parties - new wave, glam rock and post punk themed), Gallery 5 also books bands and events (craft fairs, vintage clothing sales, burlesque, art shows), Saison Market is nice for Saturday lunch and happy hour drinks (small, cozy with good beer and friendly staff).

Clothing is a bit more difficult (for men any way). Need Supply in Carytown carries some jeans, shirts and shoes... That's about it. There is another mall south of the river, Stoney Point, that has national retailers but with less sprawl and fewer teenagers loafing about.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think we have enough memebers of this forum who are willing to take daily photos of Richmond and post them (all we'd need is one photo per day...or as often as possible)?  I was thinking about starting a daily photos thread.  Perhaps we could highlight not only the obvious perspectives of the city, but also the "not so often seen" areas of Richmond.  I have seen this done on other cities' pages and thought that it would be good for Richmond to do the same.  Thoughts everone?

Do you think we have enough memebers of this forum who are willing to take daily photos of Richmond and post them (all we'd need is one photo per day...or as often as possible)?  I was thinking about starting a daily photos thread.  Perhaps we could highlight not only the obvious perspectives of the city, but also the "not so often seen" areas of Richmond.  I have seen this done on other cities' pages and thought that it would be good for Richmond to do the same.  Thoughts everone?

I'm sure many people have tons of random RVA photos.

What I'd pay to see though, is daily pics of local construction sites.

• Like 1

What I'd pay to see though, is daily pics of local construction sites.

Amen to that!  Is there anyone out there local who would be willing to take, say, weekly photos of construction sites (I'd accept that)...that is, if daily photos are too much to do?

Amen to that!  Is there anyone out there local who would be willing to take, say, weekly photos of construction sites (I'd accept that)...that is, if daily photos are too much to do?

I tend to do a drive by of the major ones weekly so I probably could.

I tend to do a drive by of the major ones weekly so I probably could.

Great!  Would you object to starting a "Weekly Photos of Richmond Construction" thread (or name it whatever you want)?  If not, will you initiate it with a new construction photo?  That would be sweet if you could.  When I'm down there, I'll take photos and contribute when I can.  I would hope that everyone else would do the same.  Afterall, there are A LOT of construction projects going on in the Richmond area! :)

Great!  Would you object to starting a "Weekly Photos of Richmond Construction" thread (or name it whatever you want)?  If not, will you initiate it with a new construction photo?  That would be sweet if you could.  When I'm down there, I'll take photos and contribute when I can.  I would hope that everyone else would do the same.  Afterall, there are A LOT of construction projects going on in the Richmond area! :)

Will do.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this is a bit old news (from spring) and isn't exactly Richmond related, but in a way it is. It really made me think "what if?".

In March/April of this year, Capital One proposed a new headquarters tower in Tyson's Corner:

The campus has been broken up into five blocks — A, B, C, D and E. Overall, the project is proposed to include 3.1 million square feet of office space (that includes the existing bank headquarters and conference center, which will remain), 1.2 million square feet of new residential development with a minimum 800 units, 406,762 square feet of hotel space, 128,781 square feet of retail and a 30,000-square-foot community center.

• lock A: Two buildings (the Capital One expansion) on a shared podium, both in the center of the campus. One will be a 348-foot-tall office building with 603,845 square feet, and the other a 122-foot-tall, 90,000-square-foot hotel. The office building here is slightly larger than the one approved in 2012, and the hotel slightly smaller. Both are slotted for Phase 2 of the campus build-out.
  • Block B: The Capital One headquarters building, fronting the Capital Beltway, will top out at 470 feet tall and 975,000 square feet, including 44,600 square feet of retail. It will be the first building constructed on the campus. The HQ will share the block with a 340,000-square-foot hotel, slated for construction in Phase 2.

•  

capital-one-exterior-view-1*600.jpg

Just imagine if they built that in downtown Richmond!

According to the press release they have 1800 employees in the area.

They employ almost 12,000 in Richmond!

• Like 2

Oh man.  If only...  I can think of a number of places within Downtown where this tower would have altered our skyline.  The first place to my mind would have been in place of the Richmond Plaza Building.

Edited by Shakman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Boy, the economic development news in Richmond has come to a screeching halt as of late!  Really tired of checking the news outlets and finding nothing.  I'm ready for a new high rise announcement - probably mixed use or residential is more likely...if it happens at all.  Ready to light these boards up with some conversation.  Here's to hoping for something to surface soon!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...