Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I would have liked to have been downtown last night just to see the crowded streets. That rarely happens within a three-block area in Richmond. 11,000 at Elton John's sold-out Coliseum Concert, thousands cheering at the nearby Marriott Ballroom for Tim Kaine, and thousands more across the street at the Convention Center crying in their beer over Kilgore's loss. :)

Edited by burt

I would have liked to have been downtown last night just to see the crowded streets. That rarely happens within a three-block area in Richmond. 11,000 at Elton John's sold-out Coliseum Concert, thousands cheering at the nearby Marriott Ballroom for Tim Kaine, and thousands more across the street at the Convention Center crying in their beer over Kilgore's loss. :)

The are crying cause the state is going down in sh!t now with Kaine! Now HR won't see that third crossing. He is so anti HR

The are crying cause the state is going down in sh!t now with Kaine! Now HR won't see that third crossing. He is so anti HR

At the risk of starting a politcal debate, which I hate but I have to respond to this, what gives you the impression that Kaine hates HR? On the contrary, Democrats have always been pro-urban areas and republicans pro-rural/heartland. Wouldn't it be more of a benefit to have Kaine?

This is my only question on this topic and then i'm moving on cause I know where it goes from here :rolleyes: .

At the risk of starting a politcal debate, which I hate but I have to respond to this, what gives you the impression that Kaine hates HR? On the contrary, Democrats have always been pro-urban areas and republicans pro-rural/heartland. Wouldn't it be more of a benefit to have Kaine?

This is my only question on this topic and then i'm moving on cause I know where it goes from here :rolleyes: .

I'll leave it alone but Kaine is a snake and Wilder is cleaning his mess up in Richmond now and that is all that I have to say

At the risk of sounding rude, I wish this "debate" were held elsewhere. No body in Richmond, least of all Tim Kaine, has it in for HR. This petulant, constant attack on State Government in Richmond gets a bit tiresome.

I don't think Kaine was that bad of a mayor. Back then, being mayor was almost a ceremonial post anyways. Wilder is cleaning up the corruption and filth created by many people that served with Kaine on the council (Saad El Amin for example). Kaine's worst move, best I can tell, is that he was a booster of Calvin Jamison, who became city manager with little to no experience for the job. Perhaps you have a different view?

I don't think Kaine was that bad of a mayor. Back then, being mayor was almost a ceremonial post anyways. Wilder is cleaning up the corruption and filth created by many people that served with Kaine on the council (Saad El Amin for example). Kaine's worst move, best I can tell, is that he was a booster of Calvin Jamison, who became city manager with little to no experience for the job. Perhaps you have a different view?

I do when Wilder and Kaine bump heads. Wilder has made some tactful comments about Kaine and I agree with Wilder. I think Wilder is a good mayor for Richmond and Kaine had alot to do with the problems that happened in Richmond. I lived up there while he was mayor and followed some of the crap he was doing.

See, i've already said too much :lol: . I knew better than that. My only point was to challenge the assumption that someone is "anti-HR" beyond that, I'm not touching this. I'll steer clear of this topic and it's probably best if everyone else does too. I don't want this descending into one of those coffee house melees where I'll have to wind up "cleaning up" the thread. :blush:

So, if Wilder is fixing the problems that "kaine created", why did Wilder endorse and campaign for Kaine? Keep in mind that while Wilder has been a "democrat", most of the time he is simply independently "Wilder"

Well if you remember he endorsed Kilgore first but I can't remember the reason he changed his mind. I like Wilder and agree with some of his views

Wilder never endorsed Kilgore first. He evaluated all 3 candidates on issues that specifically affected Richmond (urban areas in Virginia in general for that matter). After that, he solely endorsed Kaine.

Yeah Wilder never endorsed Kilgore and in fact, I don't think he even endorsed Kaine until a week or so ago. Secondly, as wrldcoupe stated, the Mayor's position was mostly ceremonial up until last year when Richmonders elected the mayor for the first time in decades. Council had most of the power and you can't hold Kaine accountable for their actions. But if you have any facts regarding Kaine and city corruption to present russthebuss, I'd be interested in reading them.

Wilder hasn't done anything yet. So far he has just b*tched about everyone else without really doing anything other than breaking contracts which will no doubt end in expensive lawsuits. While it remains ineffective, city council hasn't been corrupt for the past two years. It was clean before Wilder was even running for office. B*tching about the past doesn

Edited by Brent

Wilder hasn't done anything yet. So far he has just b*tched about everyone else without really doing anything other than breaking contracts which will no doubt end in expensive lawsuits. While it remains ineffective, city council hasn't been corrupt for the past two years. It was clean before Wilder was even running for office. B*tching about the past doesn
Edited by burt

I actually felt compelled to write a little something in my blog about the election. Check it out if you all feel like it.

Thoughts from the Far Side

So Liberal isn't a bad word after all

At long last, election season is over. Commercials can now return to selling beer, sex, and junk food and the news can finally cover all those house fires and car accidents we've been missing out on these last few months. Best of all, we can finally stop using the phrase "better of the two evils". But I bet if you're like me, you're already missing those zany Jerry Kilgore attack ads so for all of you out there, here's a little trip down memory lane...

Background Image: Fake photo of Tim Kaine in a Nazi uniform

Dramatic male voice: "He's Liberal. He's Tim Kaine. He's Liberal Tim Kaine and if elected he promises he will resurrect Hitler and hire him as the Commissioner of VDOT... Tim Kaine... Liberal on genocide, too Liberal to execute Hitler."

Jerry Kilgore: "Ah'm Jurry Keelgore and Ah sponsored this hur ad."

End of commercial

Well for one Mr. Smarty Pants, Hitler as the head of VDOT is actually a good idea. No more shovel-leaners, jackhammer-cheerleaders, or hole-watchers when the Fuhrer himself is in charge or it's off to the concentration camps with them. He'd have that group goose-stepping and the Mixing Bowl finished in no time flat. The I-64 project running a little behind? No problem. Erwin Rommel (aka Asphalt Fox) and his column of Panzer Steamrollers will take care of it in a jiffy! Joking aside though, I certainly hope I wasn't the only one insulted by the liberal use of the word liberal this past election season. Not that Kilgore was the only one partaking in the irritation blitzkrieg but I think he set the benchmark. You know it's bad when you've heard the word liberal so many times your ears start bleeding uncontrollably. Luckily for me the doctor says they will stop by the time election season goes into full swing next year.

To be honest, that Kaine won the election restores a little bit of my faith in humanity. There was a part of me that was certain those ads were going to work considering the success the Swift Boat Vets for Partial Truths and Outright Lies had in the last Presidential election. In the end, Kilgore's focus on attacking Tim Kaine and promising more executions was his downfall. But that's ok... anyone that makes killing people one of the focal points of their campaigns deserves to fade away into political oblivion.

If we are lucky, this may be the last time we have to hear such outright partisan ads, at least on the State level. If one thing was learned this November it's that Virginia is becoming less a Red State and more a Purple one thanks in large part to the population in Northern Virginia. Most of those in the rural areas will continue to vote Republican as they always have... welfare, mass transit, and saving the environment are usually of little concern to them. They want the government to stay out of their business and leave their money alone and I can't say they are entirely wrong but the times they are a changin' and lil Ol' Virginia is a changin' with them. Virginia becoming more liberal means that politicians concerned with trying to please all the people all the time can't get too blatantly partisan in their campaigns. This hopefully means campaigns like Kilgore's are a thing of the past. So here's to you Jerry. Thanks for tipping the scales, insulting the voters, and perhaps making politicians see that there may be a limit to how much B.S. the average voter can swallow.