Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

39 minutes ago, RVAbigdawg said:

Is there a thread on the Richmond forum that has pictures of current (and past) buildings being built in the city of Richmond?  

I don't recall anything on this forum however I remember seeing something related to your request on richmondcitywatch.com .

Edited by Shakman

20 hours ago, Shakman said:

I don't recall anything on this forum however I remember seeing something related to your request on richmondcitywatch.com .

Just thought it'd be cool to have a thread filled with pictures of Richmond, past and present, buildings being built/demolished, etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RVAbigdawg said:

Just thought it'd be cool to have a thread filled with pictures of Richmond, past and present, buildings being built/demolished, etc.

If you already have some material, go ahead and start a new thread.  I think I'd be fun to see the past, present, and future buildings in Richmond.

• Like 1

There isn’t a thread dedicated to this subject yet, so I decided to put this here.  If we can generate more discussion on the topic we can move it to its own thread:

Okay, so this past week I saw a concert up here in Bristow, VA (just outside of Manasas) at the Jiffy Lube Live! Amphitheater and I’ve got to say, the venue was fantastic!  What a nice facility, not to mention, it’s huge!  It has a capacity of about 25,200 (I think that includes the lawn area in the back).  Virginia Beach also has a very large amphitheater (Veterans United Home Loans amphitheater) with a capacity of about 20,000.  Both venues attract A-list artists and shows.  Richmond, what do we have?  The Virginia Credit Union Live! Amphitheater (aka The Classic Amphitheater) which has a capacity of 6,000...what?!  Only 6,000?!  I have seen a concert at the Classic Amphitheater (back in 1997) and it was a great venue - I had a great time, but A-list artists need bigger venues these days.  Why doesn’t the owner of the Classic Amphitheater expand the venue or build a new facility that will compete with others summer concert venues in VA?  I think the race track owns it now.  Instead of sinking millions into that lame mid-track attraction that will be used twice a year, they should put some money into the amphitheater is hat can be used all summer long!  What do you all think?  I think this is a very needed thing in Richmond. Most nice cities have a large amphitheater to attract summer shows and A-list artists. Time for Richmond to grow up and join the ranks of other awesome cities out there.  Just my 2 cents.  What say ye?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, eandslee said:

There isn’t a thread dedicated to this subject yet, so I decided to put this here.  If we can generate more discussion on the topic we can move it to its own thread:

Okay, so this past week I saw a concert up here in Bristow, VA (just outside of Manasas) at the Jiffy Lube Live! Amphitheater and I’ve got to say, the venue was fantastic!  What a nice facility, not to mention, it’s huge!  It has a capacity of about 25,200 (I think that includes the lawn area in the back).  Virginia Beach also has a very large amphitheater (Veterans United Home Loans amphitheater) with a capacity of about 20,000.  Both venues attract A-list artists and shows.  Richmond, what do we have?  The Virginia Credit Union Live! Amphitheater (aka The Classic Amphitheater) which has a capacity of 6,000...what?!  Only 6,000?!  I have seen a concert at the Classic Amphitheater (back in 1997) and it was a great venue - I had a great time, but A-list artists need bigger venues these days.  Why doesn’t the owner of the Classic Amphitheater expand the venue or build a new facility that will compete with others summer concert venues in VA?  I think the race track owns it now.  Instead of sinking millions into that lame mid-track attraction that will be used twice a year, they should put some money into the amphitheater is hat can be used all summer long!  What do you all think?  I think this is a very needed thing in Richmond. Most nice cities have a large amphitheater to attract summer shows and A-list artists. Time for Richmond to grow up and join the ranks of other awesome cities out there.  Just my 2 cents.  What say ye?

With the success that Innsbruck’s pavilion and the classic amphitheater have in drawing crowds and smaller acts, I think an amphitheater could be successful. However, there really is only one location that I could see it and it would be on or near the boulevard(if and when that gets developed). The Classic amphitheater’s location isn’t very central and is far removed from interstates that would be used to access it. Plus, the area isn’t amazing and there isn’t much to do around it. At a boulevard location, it could be incorporated into a mixed use development or incorporated into a new baseball stadium development. I just don’t see the Classic amphitheater as a viable option in attracting those from the burbs, who tend to have a large attendance at these concerts.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, development news around here really died as of late.  We were spoiled in June with the announcement of a new major project at least weekly, but now...crickets.  Is this the calm before the massive storm of new development announcements or are things really slowing down?  Might it be due to the Fall and Winter seasons coming up?  Are deals and plans still churning behind closed doors waiting to be finalized before public release?  Gee, I’d like to know what’s going on?!  Did someone jinx us on this board (I’m looking at you, reader!)?

On a separate note, I drove through town on I-95 (heading north) over the weekend and the new Dominion Energy Tower really beefs up the already dense skyline!  I felt pretty proud as I drove through.  We just need some height now!

• Like 4

I can't help but think, at least when it comes to non-industrial developments, Amazon has something to do with this. I might be very wrong because I'm not super familiar with other markets, but I wouldn't be surprised if anybody looking to make a big move is holding their breath until Amazon picks their new city. Just imagine if you picked a new city to expand an office to and find out Amazon moves next door increasing your rents 5-fold. Nobody wants that to happen to their company; I would bet that in the months after Amazon picks their HQ2 spot we'll see activity pick up again in the commercial and residential sector. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

I can't help but think, at least when it comes to non-industrial developments, Amazon has something to do with this. I might be very wrong because I'm not super familiar with other markets, but I wouldn't be surprised if anybody looking to make a big move is holding their breath until Amazon picks their new city. Just imagine if you picked a new city to expand an office to and find out Amazon moves next door increasing your rents 5-fold. Nobody wants that to happen to their company; I would bet that in the months after Amazon picks their HQ2 spot we'll see activity pick up again in the commercial and residential sector. 

By that logic, wouldn't it be wiser to get in early (before they make their announcement) in case they choose Northern Virginia as its new home?  After that, the cost (or rents) might increase.  It would make sense to me to make a move early before that were to happen.  This also begs the question...even if Amazon chooses Northern Virginia as its new home, do you really think that development in the Richmond metro will be that greatly affected?  I'm not sure Amazon will have such reach, but I could be wrong.  Your thoughts?

23 hours ago, eandslee said:

By that logic, wouldn't it be wiser to get in early (before they make their announcement) in case they choose Northern Virginia as its new home?  After that, the cost (or rents) might increase.  It would make sense to me to make a move early before that were to happen.  This also begs the question...even if Amazon chooses Northern Virginia as its new home, do you really think that development in the Richmond metro will be that greatly affected?  I'm not sure Amazon will have such reach, but I could be wrong.  Your thoughts?

I think if it lands around the DC area Richmond will definitely be affected. Half the reason CoStar moved to RVA is the cost of living/cost of doing business compared with NOVA. So, as rents go up in NOVA/DC/MD we could see more moves to RVA on that account. And it's more than just the DC area; Say hypothetically you are a company looking at a couple of cities to expand to/move to, your list includes RVA, Charlotte, and lets say Raleigh. Raleigh is on the the Amazon list, so it would be prudent to wait it out and see what Amazon does before you make your decision. You may want to be neighbors with Amazon and be part of the expansion that Amazon would bring; or you may not want that and want to find something cheaper and more stable. You might want to get in early to get a long term lease on office space while it's cheap, but that won't protect your employees from the increase their rents/property values and costs of living which is something your company needs to keep an eye on.

I'm not saying this is only reason we've seen a slow down, just something to think about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drayrichmond said:

I think if it lands around the DC area Richmond will definitely be affected. Half the reason CoStar moved to RVA is the cost of living/cost of doing business compared with NOVA. So, as rents go up in NOVA/DC/MD we could see more moves to RVA on that account. And it's more than just the DC area; Say hypothetically you are a company looking at a couple of cities to expand to/move to, your list includes RVA, Charlotte, and lets say Raleigh. Raleigh is on the the Amazon list, so it would be prudent to wait it out and see what Amazon does before you make your decision. You may want to be neighbors with Amazon and be part of the expansion that Amazon would bring; or you may not want that and want to find something cheaper and more stable. You might want to get in early to get a long term lease on office space while it's cheap, but that won't protect your employees from the increase their rents/property values and costs of living which is something your company needs to keep an eye on.

I'm not saying this is only reason we've seen a slow down, just something to think about. 

Ah, this make sense to me know.  Thanks for the further explanation.  I think you may be correct (at least partially) with your assessment.  Some of these are points I had not considered before.

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

What do you all think about The Bridge Park?

http://m.nbc12.com/story/38949415/richmond-group-aims-to-add-linear-park-to-manchester-bridge

I actually love the idea!

I think that this is a  great idea too.  Anything that lessens the James as a barrier, expands green space, and encourages people to get outside and move is well worth considering.  If this comes to fruition and is successful, I would like to see more spaces reused like this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marinog711 said:

That seems a bit aggressive  but I would love it!!   Love to keep city growing and less sprawl..   Developments building up and maximizing space instead of building out!!!

They are talking about metro areas. While still aggressive it's not saying this would all be dense urban development, it's counting all suburban single family homes 30 minutes to an hour from downtown too. Always want the metro area to grow though!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tparkerzut said:

They are talking about metro areas. While still aggressive it's not saying this would all be dense urban development, it's counting all suburban single family homes 30 minutes to an hour from downtown too. Always want the metro area to grow though!

Sorry,  I should of been  more specific  in saying metro instead of city...    It would be awesome all around though if this becomes true.   I am just skeptical and dont see Richmond Metro area going from 1.2 million to 2 million by 2030...  I hope I am wrong though!!!

Just imagine the changes that there would be with an additional 800K in the Metro area!  How many of those would live downtown, I wonder?  Even just 100K of those living downtown would induce so many changes...for the better if the city could keep up with it. That’s the biggest question...could the city even keep up with the infrastructure and support?!

• Like 3