Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I was really sad to see this one (I think it was a Jefferson Bank and Loan?)  go back in the 90’s.  It was a great building.  The Wells Fargo that replaced  it is terrible. 

There was a great one a few blocks down Grace.  It was maybe 10 floors?  It was torn down fir the Times Dispatch parking deck at about the same time this gem was destroyed. 

5AAEEFAA-BCBA-4555-95F9-230D0ED5C8D6.png

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Just a thought, as I am searching for certain projects, we should organize development into neighborhoods unless it's a MASSIVE project.   Northside, Southside, Fan, Downtown, etc.   We have a lot of random topics that have just died.

• Like 1

Is it possible to "unpin" some of the pinned threads on this board?  It's obviously a very minor inconvenience in the greater scheme of things, but needing to check for new threads at the top of the page and then scrolling down and checking again under all the pinned threads seems unnecessary, especially when the newest post not in this thread or the "Richmond Developments" thread is over three years old.  Perhaps only those two could be left as pinned topics.  I may be the only detractor, but thought I would throw out the suggestion...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

It makes sense to unpin them,  looks like the board is not active upon first glance from other might be new users. 

I wanted to mention this as well but there was some hesitation on my part to mention it as one is in reference to Burt, who was an active member and well liked, and it seemed inappropriate to say take down the inactive pinned cells.    

I could see maybe keeping that one and perhaps adding "In Memory" or something of the like.

https://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-opinion/rebecca-tomazin-column-virginia-s-clean-water-blueprint-would-cut/article_222cd4d3-41cb-5427-a796-bffcc5313892.html

This is more of a Chesapeake Watershed article, but it mentions Richmond.  Virginia's clean water blueprint should be an interesting read and will definitely impact RVA.  I'm excited to see more progress towards a restored Chesapeake and James!

Other than the apartments on Brook Road, have any of the projects that have been talked about near the Chamberlayne/VUU area gotten started yet? 

The spectrum looks promising, but that was only announced in September. 

There was talk of development right on Chamberlayne.

A recycling plant is supposed to be replaced with apartments.

VUU put out an RFP to redevelop a motel lot.

The only one that seems a sure thing is the one underway on Brook near Seminary

Anybody know if any of these are likely to come to fruition? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was a great video to watch for all of us tall building lovers. This video highlights the tallest building in each state. Some of these surprised me in that some of the larger cities have shorter buildings than some of the smaller cities (for example, Phoenix and Mobile, AL surprised me).  Of course, Richmond doesn’t have the state’s tallest anymore.  So the video highlighted the Westin in VA Beach coming in at 508 feet tall.  With the Monroe Tower at ~429 feet, you can see where Richmond falls in the rack-and-stack of the United States’ tallest buildings. Enjoy!

**Richmond needs to build the state’s new tallest**

• Like 2

There is a building in NoVa that’s supposed to clock in around the 6-700 ft range. Can’t remember the name but it’s supposed to start construction very soon. With the relaxing of height restrictions in the greater D.C. area, I imagine that there will be many very tall buildings up there in the near future.

https://ggwash.org/view/63468/615-foot-tysons-skyscraper-proposal-would-be-the-tallest-in-virginia-md-dc

48-stories, 615 ft. Called “The View at Tyson’s”

https://www.theiconicattheview.com/theviewgallery

• Like 2

I was surprised the tallest building wasn't in NoVA.

The James Monroe building is one of my least favorite in RVA though.  It is one of those buildings built under the idea that everybody should commute to the city and nobody should live there.  It is one of the most lifeless areas of the city. 

Great for the skyline, bad for the city. 

Edited by RiverYuppy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I was surprised the tallest building wasn't in NoVA.

The James Monroe building is one of my least favorite in RVA though.  It is one of those buildings built under the idea that everybody should commute to the city and nobody should live there.  It is one of the most lifeless areas of the city. 

Great for the skyline, bad for the city. 

The tallest in NoVa is Capital One at 470 ft.  Though there is a proposal for a +600 ft tower going through the approval process. 

I don't mind the geometry of the James Monroe building.  It just needs a better façade with a tapering crown on top.  

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Shakman said:

The tallest in NoVa is Capital One at 470 ft.  Though there is a proposal for a +600 ft tower going through the approval process. 

I don't mind the geometry of the James Monroe building.  It just needs a better façade with a tapering crown on top.  

I hope something statement worthy emerges from the site that was supposed to hold James Monroe's twin.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2019 at 3:05 PM, Wahoo 07 said:

I hope something statement worthy emerges from the site that was supposed to hold James Monroe's twin.

I totally disagree.  We need to build on the downtown core and the Monroe building sits out on an island essentially. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hike said:

I just drove from about the Atlee exit going south on 95 until Commerce road  just past the James River and noticed what looks to be new foundations along the interstate, some fairly significant in size,  quite a few along this stretch.  Does anyone know what these are for, new signs,  new cameras, etc?  Also,  Richmond looks so good, with all that's going on in the way of development in combination with what's already completed,  if there are any interested individuals driving by wondering where to live or companies thinking about where to move , Richmond has to be on this list,  there's just way too much to offer now for it to be looked over, it just down right looks good and screams, live here.

Several months ago, VDOT removed the high-mast lighting that led up and toward the Maury Street exit on I-95 south of the James River Bridge. My guess is that they could now  be replacing the older, removed lighting with new LED high-mast lighting because I had seen them working on other existing poles earlier this week. (But it's just a guess and it could very well be new signage). Honestly, driving at night, with all the development, I really wish that the area had more in the way of roadway lighting for safety. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:19 PM, jbjust said:

I totally disagree.  We need to build on the downtown core and the Monroe building sits out on an island essentially. 

Any reason why both can't be done?  It's not a zero sum game.  The Monroe II site is as prominent as one will find in Richmond.  It'd be a great place to construct an architectural gem.   While I agree that the site is somewhat isolated now, there is no reason why that can't change.  Perhaps a Monroe II building could be the catalyst.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Any reason why both can't be done?  It's not a zero sum game.  The Monroe II site is as prominent as one will find in Richmond.  It'd be a great place to construct an architectural gem.   While I agree that the site is somewhat isolated now, there is no reason why that can't change.  Perhaps a Monroe II building could be the catalyst.

While it would be nice to see a Monroe II, I doubt it will happen any time soon. The state owning the building almost eliminates the chance of anything being done. Other than a few exceptions, the state hasn’t really shown it can produce a decent looking building, much less and architectural gem. Best bet for something to happen here would be if the state sold the building to a private developer. However, I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:05 PM, Wahoo 07 said:

It will be the same footprint.  If I remember correctly, the columns for it's twin are capped at the plaza level.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 12:40 AM, Shakman said:

It will be the same footprint.  If I remember correctly, the columns for it's twin are capped at the plaza level.

With a better facade, that could be just fine.  Imagine an update to Monroe 1 in conjunction and some further State Office development filling in across 14th and that concrete desert could have some serious impact.

• Like 1

The State has been pushing agencies into cheaper options all over town including the burbs. I am skeptical they will suggest expense high rise development there anytime soon (General assembly buildong is totally different), and even less optimistic they’d ever sell that site to private sector. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

You should ask a forum moderator this question.

1 hour ago, Hike said:

Question - There are times when I see images of RVA on reddit that look pretty good, is it "legal" to download them and post them here?  I've done this  a few times before but wondered if that was appropriate, my guess is that it's ok if the image isn't licensed but wonder what others think.

You should ask a forum moderator this question.

3 hours ago, Hike said:

Question - There are times when I see images of RVA on reddit that look pretty good, is it "legal" to download them and post them here?  I've done this  a few times before but wondered if that was appropriate, my guess is that it's ok if the image isn't licensed but wonder what others think.

Unless it is licensed or from a legit entity where it is assumed to be(RTD, etc), images shared on the internet are usually free game.  Reddit especially.

20 hours ago, Ward Wood said:

Speaking of the public space on the internet, anyone seen the "List of Tallest Buildings in Richmond" Wikipedia page?  It is outdated!  I feel like we should update it; I don't think it should be me or else I will mess something up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Richmond,_Virginia

I need to take some pictures and add them.  A lot of the images I posted there have been yanked down recently (renderings, etc.).  When I get that done I will update more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1