Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hike said:

I wonder what the next big project will be in our fair city?  We have the potential for the Coliseum & surrounding areas or the very likely baseball diamond replacement and probably some development around that too, or Dominion's next tower.  In a way, even though these are big deals, we already know about them, is there something else lurking out there, that's what I'm thinking about.  I was wondering, and I know we've talked about this before, but with Carvana making a splash, between their 12 story glass enclosed car arcade and then the HUGE car processing  center in Chesterfield on the way, does Carmax wish they were putting up a banner in the city somewhere or will they stay tucked into the woods out in Goochland?  Wish we had some news on something, but with the end of the year here, we'll probably have to wait to see what's up the sleeve of development  until 2020.  One new item is that with all the cranes here, not much is above ground or just barely, so the next big thing will be buildings finally peeking up above ground to show themselves.  What else is on your minds out there?

I believe that developers are standing by waiting to see if the Navy Hill project will pass before any more development projects are announced downtown. I think the NH project is big enough to influence developers’ appetite to build more and refine exactly what they build downtown. Perhaps developers will follow the example of Navy Hill and go with bigger plans if the NH project passes knowing there will be more people living in that area.  It may also present the chance for developers to build taller around that area as well.  I also can’t help to think that Monroe Ward is on the verge of exploding.  So, to me, I think there is a lot of potential, but to what extent will be dependent on what happens in NH.  Hence, virtual radio silence regarding  development plans downtown.  I would LOVE to see a developer build a tall mixed use tower with office, hospitality, residential, and retail in the form of Richmond’s signature tower.  I think now is a good time to do it while the economy is still doing well!  Just need some forward-thinking developers with big cajones to do it!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I love your optimism, but unfortunately, the opposite is happening... 

Well, that’s unfortunate...and then again, what do I know...:dontknow:

Is it because developers think that NH will saturate the market with everything leaving other developers with nothing else to build ( in other words, too risky for them until they know how NH will be received)?

Edited by eandslee

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

Richmond Bizsense did a recap of commercial real estate in 2019.

What was y'alls favorite developments in 2019 and what do you look forward to most in 2020?

I’m really excited about what is happening in Manchester, but I dig all the new hotel announcements...and how can I leave out how important the QTS datacenter is to the local economy!  All of those are great projects that I think will propel Richmond forward. 

As for what I’m looking forward to...it has to be the NH Project (assuming it gets the green light).  A new arena, a new tall and large hotel downtown, a bus transfer station, all the new housing downtown?!  How can you not love what may be built within the next few years?!  The other project I’m looking forward to is Dominion Energy’s new tower - the implosion of the old and the building of the new!  Exciting!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Main buildings were fully involved so the recycling center may not return this time.  Have we heard anything new on the apartments that were supposed to be built around here recently?

Actually saw a post earlier this week from a demolition company that they won the bid to demo this property. I didn’t put it together until I saw your post. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 23320 said:

Actually saw a post earlier this week from a demolition company that they won the bid to demo this property. I didn’t put it together until I saw your post. 

Well damn, this week is just full of coincidences.   Lowest bidder I take it?