Jump to content

Cotuit

Richmond off-topic postings

Recommended Posts


10 minutes ago, Shakman said:

NIMBY's march into Richmond led by General Kim Gray.

That seems backwards.  Kim represents conservatives, wealthy developers, and the old ways that have kept Richmond back.  Meanwhile, Reva's district is full of the "South will rise" again crowd.  In addition, Levar is an actual Northern carpetbagger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Icetera said:

That seems backwards.  Kim represents conservatives, wealthy developers, and the old ways that have kept Richmond back.  Meanwhile, Reva's district is full of the "South will rise" again crowd.  In addition, Levar is an actual Northern carpetbagger.

Really?  I though she was slow growth and low density.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Really?  I though she was slow growth and low density.

Her district includes Scott's Addition which consists of mostly quick renovations of low-rise structures that were never worth keeping.  With the cookie cutter units and overpriced rents, they represent quick money with tax breaks and will likely all be sold off in a few years.  If she is against low-density (I have no first hand knowledge of this), then the new high-rise construction in her district was likely not encouraged by her but just a result of TOD zoning.  NH represented investment by entities other than the usual developers, so was likely competition for them.  City business owners were the ones coming out in support of NH, not developers.

Edited by Icetera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Her district includes Scott's Addition which consists of mostly quick renovations of low-rise structures that were never worth keeping.  With the cookie cutter units and overpriced rents, they represent quick money with tax breaks and will likely all be sold off in a few years.  If she is against low-density (I have no first hand knowledge of this), then the new high-rise construction in her district was likely not encouraged by her but a result of TOD zoning.  NH represented investment by entities other than the usual developers, so was likely competition for them.  CIty business owners were the ones coming out in support of NH, not developers.

OK, I see why you have such dislike for her, and pretty much solidified my stance about her too. Damn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DalWill said:

OK, I see why you have such dislike for her, and pretty much solidified my stance about her too. Damn.

My dislike of her is from her displayed public behavior and from how other council people report she interacts in general.  I am not sure how much she actually has control of development in her district, especially being a newer member so anything else is pure speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Icetera said:

My dislike of her is from her displayed public behavior and from how other council people report she interacts in general.  I am not sure how much she actually has control of development in her district, especially being a newer member so anything else is pure speculation.

Man listen, I'm not talking development, I'm talking DONATIONS :tw_naughty:

Edited by DalWill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say, even if a lot of the activity on here has been disagreements, I am loving how active this forum has been over the past few weeks.  Believe it or not, there are developers and other decision makers who lurk on these forums.

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious about this anti-density, anti-development stance Kim Gray supposedly has. As a councilmember, she votes on creating ordinances and/or approves sales of public land to the EDA. There's not much else to it. Show me the votes.

Did she not vote to approve the planning department's zoning changes to Scott's Addition and Monroe Ward, which dramatically increased density along the Pulse Corridor?

Did she not vote to approve the GRTC Transit reroute to integrate with the Pulse?

Did she not vote to expand Jakob Hembolt's proposed bikeway and greenway infrastructure plan throughout the city?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:tw_unamused: I CANNOT!!!

https://www.richmond.com/news/local/richmond-councilwoman-calls-for-fbi-investigation-of-city-after-top/article_55a86497-bb76-50ac-b213-1b4c459e388f.html

Quote

Richmond councilwoman calls for FBI investigation of city after top donor's development stalls

 
Stoney Trammell

Levar Stoney and Reva Trammell

 

Edited by DalWill
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t figure out what seems worse about this. The accusation of the administration delaying a supporter of Reva or Reva pursuing this for her top donor?  
 

what a cluster. Henrico here I come. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I can’t figure out what seems worse about this. The accusation of the administration delaying a supporter of Reva or Reva pursuing this for her top donor?  
 

what a cluster. Henrico here I come. 

Certainly adds more detail to her personal issues with Stoney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miss you.  Can I give you a big kiss?  :D

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really a Richmond topic, but it's close enough and such a treasure that I thought I'd share. I was fortunate enough to take a bunch of Boy Scouts down to the Virginia Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach (Pungo) this past weekend. They offered a "camp-in" program which featured tours and activities leading up to the "Aviation Merit Badge". What an amazing treasure this place is! I hadn't really heard that much about it, but I would consider it a hidden gem. It has a fascinating story and was founded by a larger-than-life man with a passion for WWI and WWII aircraft. There are multiple hangars jammed full of priceless aircraft that you can walk right up to (no velvet ropes keeping you at a distance, like places like Smithsonian Air & Space.) Even more appealing is the staff. Many are volunteers who have flown some of these historic treasures. If you are looking at something on display, they will walk right up to you and tell you a personal story about it. And 90% of the aircraft on display are flyable, unlike the static displays at Smithsonian. They actually take them out and fly them for regularly scheduled air shows, right at their own grass field. So if you are looking for a day trip and are into such things, definitely consider investing in a couple hour drive and make a day of it. See some of my pictures below... https://militaryaviationmuseum.org/

20200308_080913.jpg

Edited by Henrico Weather
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is kind of related to the Navy Hill proposal and also ties into the missed opportunity with our airport being a hub versus Charlotte. I was doing some research on my house and stumbled down a rabbit hole that talked about the history of Richmond's Public Library.

Did you know that Richmond rejected Andrew Carnegie's offer of 100k for a library? Sounds ridiculous right?? It's really crazy and I couldn't help think of these more current things. It seems Richmond has a long history of missed opportunities...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Public_Library_(United_States)

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, georgeglass said:

So this is kind of related to the Navy Hill proposal and also ties into the missed opportunity with our airport being a hub versus Charlotte. I was doing some research on my house and stumbled down a rabbit hole that talked about the history of Richmond's Public Library.

Did you know that Richmond rejected Andrew Carnegie's offer of 100k for a library? Sounds ridiculous right?? It's really crazy and I couldn't help think of these more current things. It seems Richmond has a long history of missed opportunities...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Public_Library_(United_States)

Looks like the city saved $10k a year, of which went to the schools instead and made RPS the success that they are today!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Looks like the city saved $10k a year, of which went to the schools instead and made RPS the success that they are today!

But, in the end the city had to issue bonds to pay for the 200k needed to build when we walked away from money on the table.  So, it was a sound financial decision...haha. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.