Cotuit

Richmond off-topic postings

8 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I love your optimism, but unfortunately, the opposite is happening... 

Well, that’s unfortunate...and then again, what do I know...:dontknow:

Is it because developers think that NH will saturate the market with everything leaving other developers with nothing else to build ( in other words, too risky for them until they know how NH will be received)?

Edited by eandslee

11 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I love your optimism, but unfortunately, the opposite is happening... 

Any evidence of this?  I hope your wrong but I got a feeling your right... unfortunately 

You just hear things out there... It’s safe to say there’s a decent contingent of developers that view this as big competition that they don’t want.  Kind of ironic to have nimby developers.

• Haha 1

Well, Richmond needs new developers that have grander visions.  I’m tired of seeing the same ol squatty buildings with designs that are usually lackluster (not every development).  Developers need to help Richmond progress to the next level of city. Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

Richmond Bizsense did a recap of commercial real estate in 2019.

What was y'alls favorite developments in 2019 and what do you look forward to most in 2020?

I’m really excited about what is happening in Manchester, but I dig all the new hotel announcements...and how can I leave out how important the QTS datacenter is to the local economy!  All of those are great projects that I think will propel Richmond forward. 

As for what I’m looking forward to...it has to be the NH Project (assuming it gets the green light).  A new arena, a new tall and large hotel downtown, a bus transfer station, all the new housing downtown?!  How can you not love what may be built within the next few years?!  The other project I’m looking forward to is Dominion Energy’s new tower - the implosion of the old and the building of the new!  Exciting!

• Like 2

My favorite is the opening of 600 Canal in 2019 and my anticipation of 2020 is Navy Hill.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

I got so spoiled last week with all the major development announcements that I’m going through withdrawal this week!  Need a new announcement to feed my development appetite!  LOL!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Main buildings were fully involved so the recycling center may not return this time.  Have we heard anything new on the apartments that were supposed to be built around here recently?

22 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Main buildings were fully involved so the recycling center may not return this time.  Have we heard anything new on the apartments that were supposed to be built around here recently?

Actually saw a post earlier this week from a demolition company that they won the bid to demo this property. I didn’t put it together until I saw your post. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 23320 said:

Actually saw a post earlier this week from a demolition company that they won the bid to demo this property. I didn’t put it together until I saw your post. 

Well damn, this week is just full of coincidences.   Lowest bidder I take it?

10 minutes ago, Shakman said:

NIMBY's march into Richmond led by General Kim Gray.

That seems backwards.  Kim represents conservatives, wealthy developers, and the old ways that have kept Richmond back.  Meanwhile, Reva's district is full of the "South will rise" again crowd.  In addition, Levar is an actual Northern carpetbagger.

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

That seems backwards.  Kim represents conservatives, wealthy developers, and the old ways that have kept Richmond back.  Meanwhile, Reva's district is full of the "South will rise" again crowd.  In addition, Levar is an actual Northern carpetbagger.

Really?  I though she was slow growth and low density.

1 hour ago, Shakman said:

Really?  I though she was slow growth and low density.

Her district includes Scott's Addition which consists of mostly quick renovations of low-rise structures that were never worth keeping.  With the cookie cutter units and overpriced rents, they represent quick money with tax breaks and will likely all be sold off in a few years.  If she is against low-density (I have no first hand knowledge of this), then the new high-rise construction in her district was likely not encouraged by her but just a result of TOD zoning.  NH represented investment by entities other than the usual developers, so was likely competition for them.  City business owners were the ones coming out in support of NH, not developers.

Edited by Icetera