Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

• 1 month later...

Would anyone here be interested in being a forum moderator?  This would give you the admin rights to make changes such as the ones we've been mentioning lately (for example, modifying threads, archiving threads, overall forum clean-up, etc.).  I'm in talks with someone who can help, but wanted to throw this opportunity out there and offer this opportunity to all of you.  Let me know as soon as possible.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Would anyone here be interested in being a forum moderator?  This would give you the admin rights to make changes such as the ones we've been mentioning lately (for example, modifying threads, archiving threads, overall forum clean-up, etc.).  I'm in talks with someone who can help, but wanted to throw this opportunity out there and offer this opportunity to all of you.  Let me know as soon as possible.

I would be willing.  I imagine most of the regulars are as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, eandslee said:

All Richmond Forum Members,

I just wanted to announce that Icetera is our new forum moderator and administrator.  I want to thank him for stepping up and taking on this challenge.  What that means for you is that he will be the point of contact any time we need any maintenance conducted on this forum (i.e. thread activation, re-titling threads, locking threads, moving items around, etc.).  This will be a great opportunity to get things cleaned up and make this forum more user friendly.  So, thank you again, Icetera - the forum is yours! :yahoo:

YESSSS!!! Icetera, you are DA MAN!!! Thanks for taking the reins of this and piloting the ship!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Icetera said:

So far, I am unable to locate any ability to remove the archive status of a thread.  I will keep digging.

Archived threads require a different level of privileges. Get a list of threads that have been archived that you want reactivated and Neo can unarchive them for you. I believe threads are automatically archived after 2 years of inactivity but don't quote me on that. It's a way to limit drain on site resources and keep things running smoothly. 

Yeah, that thread was long since dead. That Zombie is 10 years old.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

Archived threads require a different level of privileges. Get a list of threads that have been archived that you want reactivated and Neo can unarchive them for you. I believe threads are automatically archived after 2 years of inactivity but don't quote me on that. It's a way to limit drain on site resources and keep things running smoothly. 

Yeah, that thread was long since dead. That Zombie is 10 years old.  :lol:

Awesome, thanks for your insight, vdogg.

Rather than bugging Neo with multiple requests, do we need any other threads revived?

• 3 weeks later...

Part of it is different mindset - part of it is a different economic setup there. Charlotte has never been hung up on preserving its past. It's not old-building obsessed the way Richmond is. Mind you, Richmond DOES have considerably more history than does Charlotte. But so do Philadelphia and Boston - and nothing has stopped either of those two cities from building grand towers and embracing being a big city. Charlotte fully embraces being an up-and-coming big city. Richmond still has the Civil War shackles on & has only been dragged into the 21st century as a "mid-size" city kicking and screaming. The preservationist NIMBY factor is overwhelming here - where it's not so much as a gentle breeze in Charlotte. Then again, staunch Richmond NIMBY's would argue "Charlotte has no history". OK ... but that precludes Richmond from a 40 or 50 or 60 story tower downtown?

I just hope and PRAY that successful implementation of the Richmond 300 plan will result in enormous economic and population growth for Richmond - and that the city will get its head out of its collective backside and do away with this insipid 4:1 height to setback ratio. This isn't Midtown Manhattan where setback regs would be helpful (and I don't see anyone stopping those 100-plus story residential buildings that have sheer vertical walls with few if any setbacks from being built all over Manhattan.) 

eandslee, I agree with you 100% and fully share your frustration. I am, admittedly, really enjoying this period of unprecedented growth - and have a feeling that if we get enough growth and enough density, both of people and larger buildings -- and get it quickly enough, we'll start to see a push from developers to build much taller buildings here. I cannot possibly imagine Richmond never EVER having a 40-story building (:or taller) on the skyline, especially if enough towers sprout up in the next decade or so. It HAS to happen SOMETIME... right???

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DalWill said:

Honestly, if a group like them are Native Richmonders, then I pray MORE outsiders move in droves to this city and DRIVE these NIMBY's out; they care about their privilege, not the future of  Richmond as a whole and the people in it who are NOT them.

Sidenote: I pray for Mayor Levar Stoney  a second term just to piss them off. 

As you can tell, I'm annoyed and fed the **** up. 

I completely agree. As a transplant to Richmond myself, I've never understood why Richmond couldn't be another link in the chain of great East Coast / I-95 corridor cities - it's got the history,  the arts, culture/cuisine, regional political importance- all the right ingredients to make it another great East Coast city like a Philadelphia, Boston, or heck even Baltimore. It's a nicer climate and less of a headache than the DC area- I genuinely don't see why it's a bigger attraction, other than the  NIMBYs who were born and raised here, never want to break their "it's my small hometown" mentality,  don't want any change, don't want to see the city grow (both in terms of population and vertically/density), don't want to give up our "Civil War identity" (and I don't mean utilizing our city's history in a dynamic and educational way, but rather being stuck in the mindset of old Confederate statues and generally backwards way of thinking that's off-putting to other regions of the country), and a fairly incompetent city government that's shot itself in the foot over and over for the last 50+ years.

I do agree that there's a certain level of inertia we need. Once enough people move into the city's boundaries,  and a critical mass is hit, the ball will start moving that hopefully will take Richmond to a next-great-city level. Maybe the next Austin, who knows.

Or, we just need to change the rules to start annexing the 'burbs to get that tax revenue and go from there :D 

• Like 2

While I agree with most of your sentiments, I think there are a few key points to take into consideration.   Richmond is banned from annexing nearby land.  That plays a HUGE factor in why it did not take off like other Southern Cities.  Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin, Nashville were all able to expand their tax base through the 60-10s as people flocked to suburbs.  Meanwhile, Richmond lost a lot of it's tax base because people flocked to Chesterfield, Henrico, and Hanover.   Major corporations followed suit and moved their office to where their employees lived (Innsbrook/West Creek).  Loss in population and loss in tax revenue meant the city was in a death spiral.   Things have turned around quickly since about 2008, but this isn't as easy as a flip of a switch.  This might have been a double edge sword, because those that stayed behind either couldn't afford to move and now lament the gentrification that is going on, or stayed because of hometown pride, to which they miss the "good ole days".   Also, Richmond still has a negative reputation for a lot of laymen around the country because of our crime and racial history.  I'm originally from Charlotte, and unless they have been here, many of them are confused as to why I moved. Richmond, though, is now growing at its fastest rate EVER if you take out annexation.   

The major cities of the Northeast were major ports when interstate commerce was done by waterways.   They grew rapidly at a time before automobiles and the interstate system.  Richmond on the other hand was a large city, but was not on the same level of importance when it came to commerce trade.  Because automobiles allow for an easier mode of transportation, it is highly unlikely that you will see the mid sized city turn into megacities if they are in close proximity to other major cities.  Distance allows industries/business to concentrate to form regional hubs.  Also, distance allows for airports to rise in importance.  Which in turn, means more business because of ease of international travel.   While we like to talk about RIC once having the opportunity to be a HUB, we are just far too close to other international airports (Dulles). It is doubtful USAir would have been as successful at RIC as it is at CLT.    CLT again benefits from being far enough away from ATL.  Just like PHL, while large, is over shadowed by JFK.  BOS is far enough from JFK to be a major international airport.

As far as Dominion v Duke.  Duke's current tower was built for Wachovia before it was absorbed by Wells Fargo.   They are finally building a new tower for Duke, but Charlotte can charge higher office rents to cover the cost of a new high rise.   It is cheaper to build two towers than to build a super tall.  Which means until Richmond hits a certain threshold on average office rates, you will most likely see mid sized buildings (outside of a vanity project).   Charlotte obtained it;s skyline because of the vanity projects of the 80s/90s.   North Carolina had looser banking regulations which allowed for the smaller banks to become major players.  Nationsbank (now BofA) and First Union (later Wachovia and now Wells Fargo) were essentially in a pissing match and kept trying to outshine each other.   Duke's headquarters, until they took over the Wells Fargo tower, is a squat concrete box that looks more like the FBI building than a major corporation.

Richmond, just like the nation, is at a crossroad.  What drew me to Richmond was it's laid back atmosphere, relatively low housing cost, manageable traffic, it's history, and it's future.  Things are happening in Richmond, and they will continue so.  Our growth rate is reasonable and in the long run, more sustainable than a boom/bust cycle.  We are diversifying our tourism industry, our Biotech/Medical industry is taking off, Dominion continues to be a powerhouse, and we continue to focus on our natural attributes (James River).  Enjoy the ride!

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

rjp212 - FANTASTIC & 100% spot-on analysis! You hit the economic differences squarely on the head - and being from Charlotte, you definitely have the background knowledge to properly compare differences in the economic growth situations of the two cities. Virginia's banking regulations put the kibosh on the kind of financial-center status Richmond might have had at the time Charlotte was taking off.  And while I'll agree that US Air might not have been AS successful with a hub at RIC as it has been at CLT (again, with CLT being the only game in town for several hundred miles), I'd argue it still would have worked, being able to draw on ORF's market and maybe siphon off some of the DCA traffic. That's a hard one to speculate since it never came to pass.

You hit on another fantastic point - that minus the annexation growth spurts that Richmond enjoyed several times during her history, this current 10-plus year ride is unquestionably the largest and fastest rate of population growth in the city's history. And being land locked because of the 1970s moratorium placed on annexation by the state, she's having to do it the old-fashioned way - density and verticality. Indeed, southern cities such as Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, Nashville, Jacksonville, among others, have relied on the tried-and-true method of annexation to boost population and the city tax base. Virginia's "independent city" setup, however, has always been a stumbling block. Charlotte has never had to worry about that, being that she is inherently "part" of Mecklenburg County.  I stumbled across a Times-Dispatch article by Michael Paul Williams from 2016 lamenting the sorry state of Richmond's sports facilities - and he interviewed Dr. John Moeser, who was one of my professors in Urban Planning when I was in undergrad at VCU back in the early 80s. The discussion of not just the post-1970 annexation moratorium came up - but also Richmond's REAL failed opportunity that would have had huge ramifications even until today.

Writes Williams:

"A failed 1961 plan to consolidate Richmond and Henrico now looks like a lost opportunity. The plan was endorsed by a majority of Richmond voters but rejected in Henrico.

Can you imagine what Richmond would look like today if the plan had gone through? A city of more than 300 square miles, with nearly 540,000 residents, might be weighing the benefits of a big league sports facility. Instead, we can’t muster the will or resources to build a minor league ballpark — a sorry state of affairs in a metropolitan area with our population, median income and corporate heft."1

Now - can you imagine had Henrico voters NOT voted down the merger nearly 60 years ago? And the estimation of a city population of 540,000 was based on 2016 numbers - in truth, it's very possible that being larger to begin with and with significantly more developable land (a la Charlotte, Jacksonville, etc.) that 540,000 might be closer to 650,000-700,000 - or more! One can only imagine how different Richmond would be had the merger taken place. I would suggest THIS failure was actually more damaging to the city's growth prospects than was the state-imposed annexation ban that has been extended multiple times by the General Assembly simply because Chesterfield, Henrico and Hanover have sufficient voting power in the legislature that the city does not have.

Nonetheless - for as much as I tend to lament, kvetch, complain about the preservationist nutjob NIMBYs and the devastating kicks to the nether-regions with which they have continued to assault Richmond's economic and population growth efforts, I must admit that I am enjoying the ride, watching Richmond start to take off DESPITE these nefarious forces who, as you and many others here have noted, operate out of self-interest with little concern for the overall good of the city or the region. For 50 years I have lamented the lack of progressive thinking and big-city mindset. I am thrilled to FINALLY see it emerging - Richmond 300 is a plan UNLIKE ANYTHING Richmond has had in my lifetime. The city's future -- I honestly believe -- is brighter than at any time I can remember. Success breed success - and it is gratifying to see Richmond FINALLY starting to do some of the things major cities actually do in terms of development.

Cites like Philly, Boston, Baltimore, Chicago - they are land-locked. Annexation isn't a possibility simply because there are long-established suburban "cities" that immediately abut them (Richmond really doesn't have that). Their only path is vertical and high-density. So too, Richmond. She cannot expand outward like other southern cities. She can only go upward. To the sky. To the stars. THAT is where Richmond can really take off!

1 - Williams, Michael Paul - "Williams: Ballpark or no ballpark, Richmond's size is a strike against it", Richmond Times-Dispatch, column, January 4, 2016,  https://richmond.com/news/local/williams-ballpark-or-no-ballpark-richmonds-size-is-a-strike-against-it/article_10ca777b-bfdc-5c8d-89a4-8e8ce5abb310.html

14 hours ago, DalWill said:

Sidenote: I pray for Mayor Levar Stoney  a second term just to piss them off. 

As you can tell, I'm annoyed and fed the **** up. 

I'm praying Stoney will win a second term for a variety of reasons - top of the list is that he is a progressive thinker regarding Richmond and economic and population growth. And - I fear a Gray administration will torpedo whatever it can and will kibosh the rest. She is far-and-away TOO old-school Richmond ... and I fear her election as mayor will set this city back 20-25 years.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Richmonder23 said:

I completely agree. As a transplant to Richmond myself, I've never understood why Richmond couldn't be another link in the chain of great East Coast / I-95 corridor cities - it's got the history,  the arts, culture/cuisine, regional political importance- all the right ingredients to make it another great East Coast city like a Philadelphia, Boston, or heck even Baltimore. It's a nicer climate and less of a headache than the DC area- I genuinely don't see why it's a bigger attraction, other than the  NIMBYs who were born and raised here, never want to break their "it's my small hometown" mentality,  don't want any change, don't want to see the city grow (both in terms of population and vertically/density), don't want to give up our "Civil War identity" (and I don't mean utilizing our city's history in a dynamic and educational way, but rather being stuck in the mindset of old Confederate statues and generally backwards way of thinking that's off-putting to other regions of the country), and a fairly incompetent city government that's shot itself in the foot over and over for the last 50+ years.

VERY well said!! That's been my lament for the past 50 years. The NIMBYs want to halt EVERYTHING in terms of growth because THEY will lose "THEIR" Richmond ... and you hit the nail on the head regarding the city government. I could write a multi-volume book series chronicling the level of sheer incompetence and selfishness of the city's government I have witnessed since 1970.

7 hours ago, rjp212 said:

They are finally building a new tower for Duke, but Charlotte can charge higher office rents to cover the cost of a new high rise.   It is cheaper to build two towers than to build a super tall.  Which means until Richmond hits a certain threshold on average office rates, you will most likely see mid sized buildings (outside of a vanity project).   Charlotte obtained it;s skyline because of the vanity projects of the 80s/90s.

What drew me to Richmond was it's laid back atmosphere, relatively low housing cost, manageable traffic, it's history, and it's futureThings are happening in Richmond, and they will continue so.

These are extremely important points to remember. It leads to another thought regarding Richmond's current trend of major construction projects: Major office tower construction -- and other commercial projects such as major hotels -- tends to happen in bursts -- with a flurry of construction followed by quiet periods. This also happens in larger cities and isn't just a "Richmond problem".  HOWEVER -- what the bigger cities have always (especially over, say, the last 50 years or so) had - is a generally constant stream of major residential construction projects, high-density, often high-rise -- of various sizes, shapes, etc. Richmond has been enjoying this trend for a while now - and it seems to continue building momentum. Every time we see a new major residential project - whether the 15-story tower on W. Grace St. downtown - or the twin 11-story towers soon to rise in Manchester - or the 12-story building at Lombardy and Broad - and even the 5, 6, 7-story buildings that are popping up like mushrooms all over Scott's Addition - we should remember that THIS is what happens in the bigger cities. And while we are ALL pulling for CoStar (and whoever they may team up with) to build something epic on the riverfront, we all must be heartened by every residential project we see announced/proposed/approved/ground-broken/rising. Look at all the 10-plus story residential buildings that have gone up, are rising, have been approved or at a minimum announced over the last several years. THIS momentum -- keeping it rolling - getting more and more of these high-density and, preferably high-rise residential buildings - is what will ultimately get us those 60-story office buildings we're dreaming of downtown.

If the last 5-to-10 years is any indication, things are really looking "up" for Richmond!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

- or the 12-story building at Lombardy and Broad -

Speaking of this development - has anyone seen any movement as of late?  The developer said that they were shooting for an opening in Summer 2021, but if they don't start soon, they will miss that deadline.  Last I heard, there was nothing going on at this site (although I think the gas station has been torn down).  I wonder what the hold up is (COVID, city permits)?

I agree with the residential analysis you give.  With more people living downtown, they will want to work around where they live.  It'd be crazy to see people do the reverse commute thing where they live downtown and commute to the West End/Short Pump area for work (although I think some people do that already).  Really hoping for CoStar to bring us something special on the riverfront.  Also, we need more "CoStars" to move to downtown Richmond.  Gotta make downtown THE place to be for businesses to set up shop...despite how much more expensive it is downtown than out in the burbs - downtown has to become THAT desirable.  Bringing a lot of residential downtown helps, but also, the city government has to improve significantly and downtown needs "destinations" - things for people to do (a large arena would help).  We need visionaries and people with big-city thinking minds to solve the problems the city faces and embrace the process of becoming a big city.  I think we are trending in the right direction, but there are days where I think we are taking many steps back (no more hitting singles or doubles - we need the home runs!).  It can be very frustrating to watch.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, eandslee said:

Speaking of this development - has anyone seen any movement as of late?  The developer said that they were shooting for an opening in Summer 2021, but if they don't start soon, they will miss that deadline.  Last I heard, there was nothing going on at this site (although I think the gas station has been torn down).  I wonder what the hold up is (COVID, city permits)?

I agree with the residential analysis you give.  With more people living downtown, they will want to work around where they live.  It'd be crazy to see people do the reverse commute thing where they live downtown and commute to the West End/Short Pump area for work (although I think some people do that already).

As of last week the gas station was still open and I imagine still is today.

Unfortunately, a lot of people do the reverse commute, which is frustrating as we need business tax base to balance out the increased need of services from residential.  Personally, I have lived in the city (or within a few feet of the limits) since 2002 and have only worked 3 of those years in the City Limits (even commuted for 6 years to Charlottesville rather than move from the city I love).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

As of last week the gas station was still open and I imagine still is today.

Well, that's not a good sign.  :(

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

Unfortunately, a lot of people do the reverse commute, which is frustrating as we need business tax base to balance out the increased need of services from residential.  Personally, I have lived in the city (or within a few feet of the limits) since 2002 and have only worked 3 of those years in the City Limits (even commuted for 6 years to Charlottesville rather than move from the city I love).

Now, that is some dedication there!  Thank you for being so dedicated to Richmond!  I have to admit, though, Charlottesville is a nice place to live - I lived there for 3 years - some of the best 3 years of my life!  Richmond was very good to me as well - lots of good memories and that is where I met my wife...not to mention, I was born at what is now, VCU Health (in the old brick West Hospital tower - an iconic building in Richmond for many years).

• Like 3