Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Volkswagen to build a new HQ in Reston.  Would love to have had Richmond land this one. 

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/volkswagen-group-of-america-deepens-its-fairfax-roots/

Doesn't sound like Richmond was in the running and they have a history in NOVA. Makes sense that they'd build there.

13 hours ago, eandslee said:

Volkswagen to build a new HQ in Reston.  Would love to have had Richmond land this one. 

https://www.virginiabusiness.com/article/volkswagen-group-of-america-deepens-its-fairfax-roots/

That's good news.  If Richmond can't land it, I want it to go somewhere in the Commonwealth instead of out of state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Let me rephrase - I wish Richmond would land a company like this who is willing to build a new HQ here (in addition to CoStar’s Research Division).  Richmond needs more and more of this sort of thing. 

100% agreed! This is where aggressive business recruitment - AND - setting forth the "face" of a city that is progressively supportive of development and growth - instead of one that's more interested in trying to "save" every single brick that was laid prior to 1950 (or pick your date). Hyperbole, I realize - but you get the point.

• 1 month later...

Just saw where Rosslyn, VA will be building a 25-story residential tower and a 38-story hotel tower where an old Holiday Inn was demolished this morning. Check out the plans for this thing. This is the sort of thing that should be happening in Richmond:

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/mixed-use-development-to-replace-rosslyn-holiday-inn/

https://www.insidenova.com/news/real_estate/development-plan-for-rosslyn-holiday-inn-site-slated-for-tweaking/article_d6d64738-0d42-11eb-9ef2-9fdffac829c3.html

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

I agree but you know better than I that the economics and critical mass between Richmond and and NOVA are very far apart.  It's very possible to get these the types of developments in Richmond with the right demand.   

In order to get those types of projects, Richmond needs to gentrify the NIMBY's out of the City.  Oooh I said the "g" word.    

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I agree but you know better than I that the economics and critical mass between Richmond and and NOVA are very far apart.  It's very possible to get these the types of developments in Richmond with the right demand.   

In order to get those types of projects, Richmond needs to gentrify the NIMBY's out of the City.  Oooh I said the "g" word.    

Agreed to a point as a lot of the current NIMBY problems are amongst the wealthier residents.  I hate how gentrification is a bad word on its own as it should be able to be done in a safe way.  Rent is one thing but property tax increases should never push residents out as the government has direct control of property taxes.

• Like 2

The NIMBY's have set Richmond back decades development-wise. It's quite sad, really. I hope this problem can be dealt with and that the city can take some huge strides forward. It's doing amazingly well right now, all things considered. Frankly, it could do even better, pandemic-not withstanding. Here's hoping!

• Like 1

Honestly the city needs to just tune nimbys out and just completely ignore them and not cater to them. Would be the best thing this city could do to move forward. It’s like they have to please them over every little thing and hold their hand. If the Richmond 300 plan doesn’t get approved tonight I will have no hope left for this city and don’t think it will ever become anything great during my lifetime and I’m only 32. I would love to see what the future holds for Richmond there’s so many nimbys in this entire metro area it’s crazy. I really wonder how many young people will grow up this way to be a nimby that just complains about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My second part of my last post my dad saw a ton of growth in Richmond he moved here in the late 1950s from southwest Virginia interstate 95 brought my family here back then. My grandfather was in world war 2 and of course with him being in the army my dad moved all over the country up north in Pennsylvania and new Jersey and Maryland and West Virginia once hex left the bristol va area. When my grandfather got a job in road construction they were building 95 through Richmond and my grandfather brought my dad and his 2 other children at the time along with my grandmother and after my dad got out of construction he helped build 64 and 295 much later on as well as chippenham and other roads like parham road and Glenside drive. My dad said he remembers when there was nothing west of glenside drive and broad street he said parham road used to be a forest before broad street went out further west. It’s crazy to think how big this metro has gotten since his time in Richmond it was only around 400,000 in the metro when my dad moved here now it’s 1.3 million. I can’t help but wonder how many people and how much bigger it will get during my lifetime here now. I do feel however it’s growing at a much smaller pace than when my dad was living and growing up here. My dad is now 72. I really wonder what it will look like am when I’m 72. Definitely excited but nervous for this metro at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you watch the video (I’m always amazed at how much more advanced Northern Virginia is, can you imagine Henrico putting out a show like this) you’ll see that nimbyism was strong innRoslyn too.   It isn’t just a Richmond problem. In a metro like DC, business interests can over power timid locals. We aren’t so lucky here. 

I like that we have a vocal population but I wish that our elected officials were talented enough to steer the city and sell their ideas to the residents.  Alas, we have yokels with no charisma. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

Yeah, but apparently they want to make all kinds of amendments to it.  Funny they want to speak out now when they've had plenty of time to do that in the past 4 years.  Why now?  Anyway, at least they approved it, but it really means nothing if they don't stick to it...and that's why it passed - they don't have to stick to it (there's no commitment).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What do you think - Amazon HQ2 in Arlington?  Not sure how I feel about this yet, it may be one of those that's best experienced in person, drawings, pictures don't capture it, like sculpture or art.  

https://www.smartcitiesworld.net/news/news/amazon-reveals-nature-infused-hq2-in-arlington-6073

Edited by Hike

30 minutes ago, rjp212 said:

I HATE “star-chitecture”

Think I agree with that too, just think if they took some of the money they're throwing at this engineering creation and built nice tall clean structure.  

Edited by Hike