Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

2 hours ago, Hike said:

I was getting ready to say it looks like the poop emoji but that's already been done, well, ain't that some s*%#.  

https://www.dezeen.com/2021/02/03/amazon-hq2-poop-emoji-nbbj/

1.jpg

It's definitely a conversation piece.  Hey, I'll be honest...I wouldn't argue if this were built in Richmond.  I think it will draw in tourist wanting to see it in person and maybe get the chance hike to the top!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

8 minutes ago, eandslee said:

LOL!  Maybe we need to map these out in a separate graphic from the Development Map (just a jpeg) to post here.  Just a thought...it might help us keep it all straight. 

That's actually a very good idea. It would probably serve us well to cull out the highrise residential projects - just to keep track of the big stuff rising, particularly in Scott's Addition and Manchester (though two of the new residential buildings are in Newtowne West/Allison/Carver - (The Opus) and Jackson Ward (2nd and Marshall), plus the 15-story building in Monroe Ward and another along the Canal..  And imagine if - yes a huge if - but if it ever comes to pass - if that 25-story residential tower goes up in the Arts District... 

Yeah - I'd say it may be time to map out these big projects.

I can't wait to see the army of crane raising above Scott's Addition (it's already started!) ... and I can't wait to see the same in Manchester with all the highrises proposed, planned or announced.

It's about to get fun in RVA boys & girls!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I can't wait to see the army of crane raising above Scott's Addition (it's already started!)

What other cranes are we expecting in SA?  The Lofts is the only project I can think of with significant height and the Greystar project was not necessarily expected.  Scott's Collection has been all stick frame on concrete with no tower cranes so far.

Are there any future cranes to go up in Rocketts Landing...or over in that general area?  If I'm not mistaken, I think there are (I just can't remember their exact names).

The map is way cool though - I'm totally digging it!

Also, all cranes are down at the Adult Outpatient Tower at VCU.  I think the second one came down last week.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

Are there any future cranes to go up in Rocketts Landing...or over in that general area?  If I'm not mistaken, I think there are (I just can't remember their exact names).

The map is way cool though - I'm totally digging it!

There was a mobile crane for the newest 8-Story East 51 building (completed).  With exception of the two riverfront parcels and the one surface lot, the Henrico side is currently being filled out with townhomes.  I expect they will be fully completed by the end of the year as they have reached the last phase.  The apartment building that is currently awaiting demo (looks like they started digging while waiting for permit approval) appears like it would potentially be significant enough in mass to require a tower crane.   Beyond that, maybe Fulton Yards will utilize cranes but that is hit or miss on 5-story apartment blocks.

• Thanks 2

Folks,

You may have already seen this - I just stumbled on it tonight. I'm thinking about maybe attending, since it's online. Anyone here giving any thought to checking this out? It seems to be right up our alley for most of us on here.

https://richmondbizsense.com/events/the-future-of-construction-and-design/

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Folks,

You may have already seen this - I just stumbled on it tonight. I'm thinking about maybe attending, since it's online. Anyone here giving any thought to checking this out? It seems to be right up our alley for most of us on here.

https://richmondbizsense.com/events/the-future-of-construction-and-design/

Very cool - yes, I'm going to register for this - thanks for sharing! I get my 2nd vacc shot Tuesday so took that Wednesday off anyhow...hopefully I'm not too loopy for this..

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Very cool - yes, I'm going to register for this - thanks for sharing! I get my 2nd vacc shot Tuesday so took that Wednesday off anyhow...hopefully I'm not too loopy for this..

Oh wow!! Glad you're getting your vax completed! Stay safe and well. Best wishes for minimal impact.

• Like 2

Per their Twitter, Richmond Fire Dept. has a new a new Tiller Truck (Truck 3) based at Station 10 on Hermitage Rd.  This is the first tractor pulled ladder since 1998 as they had switched them out for Quints (engine/tanker combination with areal ladders).  I would imagine that this new tiller has greater reach and was necessary due to the quantity of increasing height developments within the city.

• Like 4

Just now saw this on the RVA/Reddit: a new University of Chicago study of property tax in the City of Richmond from 2008-2017 demonstrates a very sharply inequitable, regressive pattern of assessment, whereby the most expensive homes in the city were assessed during this period at 88.3% of their value, while the least expensive homes were assessed at 141.3%.

This is a BIG problem on a lot of levels.

Have a look at the study:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/propertytaxdata.uchicago.edu/nationwide_reports/web/Richmond city_Virginia.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, I see the website underwent a software update, but dang, it loads super slow now.  Anyone else having that issue?  Also, what new features were added, if any?  I can't see where there are any better features now.

Crazy slow, almost unusable. 

8 hours ago, eandslee said:

Well, I see the website underwent a software update, but dang, it loads super slow now.  Anyone else having that issue?  Also, what new features were added, if any?  I can't see where there are any better features now.

Yeah - it's been awful since the server came back up.

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

I am not liking the loss of the forum path at the top.  I only bookmark Richmond and then usually check up on Norfolk afterwards but now that has become a pain.

That's throwing me off, too. I go back to the top and the path is gone. It's a bit of a headache to navigate now. Plus all the wasted space on the right of the page just to throw a stats box up at the top - I couldn't care less about keeping stats on who posted how many times in what. I just want to see the actual topic content at regular width again. 

This update is sorely lacking in a lot of areas. And to think we had to put up with the whole UP forum being down for a day and a half to get THIS result. 

• Like 1