Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

21 hours ago, urbanlife said:

I don't know if that kind of growth would be that great to see in this day and age. If Richmond rapidly grew to that size, it would probably be because of rapid suburban expansion rather than urban growth. The size of the city and metro is just right, and would be best to focus on building up rather than out. Maybe even ripping out some of the freeways that the city has that it doesn't need.

Indeed, if RVA grew rapidly to that size (over 2 million metro) - most of it would come from suburban growth. However, when planners were working on the Richmond 300 plan, they were working on projections that the city proper could reach upwards of 340,000 by the year 2037. Is it doable for the city to bring in 114,000 more residents in the next 16 years? Yes - particularly if the growth -- as you said -- is vertical.  This is part of what frustrates me - not just about all the NIMBY-ism that goes on here, but about so few projects yet reaching double-digit heights. Mind you, I'm thrilled by the 6, 7, 8-story residential buildings sprouting up all over the city. But my back-of-the-mind fear is that -- over time -- if heights don't start moving UP - and more verticality isn't introduced on a more regular basis, then the sea of developable blocks currently available will start getting snapped up by smaller (meaning less height - fewer people) buildings, and at some point there won't be but so much space available to build bigger/taller buildings because those available lots will start dwindling. And -- say, 15 years from now -- who is going to go in and tear down an 8-story apartment building that's maybe a decade old give or take - to replace it with something 25 stories? Could it happen? Sure. Is it likely to happen? Of course not!

I do wish developers would start pushing the height envelope. Mind you, I'm fully aware that everything is cost-driven - construction cost vs ROI. Which gives me hope that maybe this current wave of 6, 7, 8 story buildings is necessary to start building critical mass - and if the city can get marketed, promoted, boosterized in terms of name recognition in the public square (particularly the business square) - and if the airport can attract more airlines, more flights, at THE VERY LEAST a "focus-city" status for one or more burgeoning airline to significantly boost traffic and direct market-to-market connections - then perhaps it WILL be more cost-effective for developers to look at a large lot in Manchester or Scott's or Monroe Ward and calculate that putting something 25 stories up WOULD be profitable enough to invest in the construction.

It's going to take time. And while 16 years isn't all that long in the grander scheme of things, it actually is a sizeable chunk of time - and a LOT can happen in a decade and a half.  I do think the city could hit 340,000 residents - or even more - by that time if everything fell into place.

A quick word about suburban expansion: sprawl is going to continue, even as developers are smartly going in and building with a marked increase in density, height, scale, etc. Where before there may have been single-family detached housing or clustered apartments, we're now seeing densely packed rowhouse neighborhoods like you'd see in the central city beginning to take shape - and - we're seeing more height and larger actual apartment "buildings" - not just clusters or 2 or 3 or even 4 story apartment buildings that may have one or two units per floor. We're now looking at, for example, buildings with 300 units in them... multi-building complexes with 500 or 750 units in them. The density in the suburbs is on the rise - and that's a very good thing.

Even with all of that - look at the changes in eastern Goochland County - development has spilled across the county line - and the westward march of suburban growth will only continue in the next decade and beyond. Chesterfield is a bit of a different story - there's still a lot of undeveloped space in the county - given how very large the land area is. It will be a while before Powhatan experiences what Goochland has and is experiencing to the level that's been happening in Goochland. Let's not forget that the eastern part of Henrico - particularly south of the airport and toward the eastern bank of the river -- remains largely undeveloped. Whether developers will be able to buy up farms and convert them into apartment complexes and industrial parks remains to be seen - but there are a few projects on the table that RBS and I think the RTD have reported. That part of the county will see significant change, even if it's slow in coming. Once it does come, watch the pace pick up rather dramatically.

Edited by I miss RVA

On 11/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, whw53 said:

Google earth desktop updated their imagery for Richmond this week - finally! Jumped from fall 2018 to spring 2021. A lot to check out!

I was actually fiddling around with this for about a week recently, and I noticed if you press the historical imagery button (with the slider bar to view imagery from past captures), it actually jumps to July 28 2021 (at least for central Richmond), though the imagery is noticeably darker and duller than the bright March and April captures (which is what you see by default on Google Earth).

My guess is they capture imagery more often but only update it for everyone once they touch it up and adjust for issues (like there are two image captures for July 2021, one where clouds obscure a lot of ground view, and then one without cloud obstruction). Interesting stuff, and Google Earth often has more up to date imagery than Google Maps as a result

1977926470_Screenshot2021-11-17160939.png

208697813_Screenshot2021-11-17161303.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I walked past the Carmax Midtown location the other night and was very annoyed. The proverbial right hand never pays attention to the left hand in all things Richmond landscaping. 

The old Battle Ax had accent lighting installed along the facade.   Then a genius planted a leafy groundcover.  Not even a year later the groundcover has overtaken the lights.   I’d rather there be no trees or plantings along city streets.  Richmond (even private enterprises in Richmond) is terrible about choosing the correct plants and never bothers to maintain them once planted. 

5C8634CD-1581-48EC-8871-389945E2B80C.jpeg

2C9CFF37-E9BF-4BB8-9D9D-2D8DFAA81067.jpeg

A3EDB0CD-F02A-4B0D-9821-2A34A3881CA4.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow... this clearly demonstrates that not all slums look like the West Side of Chicago or sections of the Bronx.

I hope and pray this story gets plenty of oxygen and that people take notice. Whether or not the legally city can or will intervene is a different discussion on its own. But we should know that this is happening right here in RVA - and that this level of places run by slum lords isn't limited to the impoverished sections of Los Angeles or Houston or New York.

https://richmond.com/news/local/watch-now-in-richmonds-largest-latino-neighborhood-people-live-among-mold-mice-roaches-the-landlord/article_f2893f7f-02b5-5ff9-ae4c-de11dde94cf1.html

21 hours ago, eandslee said:

Happy New Year to all my Urban Planet - Richmond friends!!!  May this be a very prosperous new year for you and for our city - Richmond!!  Here’s to exploding economic growth…and maybe the surprise tall tower or two (or more) in Richmond’s near future! :thumbsup:

Right back at'cha my good friend!

And AMEN!!! AY-MEN-- AND AYYY-FREAKIN'-MENNNNN!!! From YOUR keyboard to GOD's ears!!!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hike said:

After all this warm weather we finally got our taste of winter, it's not Chicago snow,  looking at you @I miss RVAbut we'll take it.

20220103_151128.jpg

I'm so glad you got snow, too! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley: There's nothing like RVA snow, though. I think it's the moisture content. It usually doesn't stick to EVERY possible tree limb -- even the smallest twigs -- here like it does in RVA. Probably because the temperature is colder here - and the snow is often drier. Plus it's often windy here when we get a snowstorm -- so the snow gets blown around.  The other big difference is that often it warms up in the days following a snowstorm in RVA -- so it might not hang around very long. We're supposed to get some pretty cold weather here this week - so the snow isn't going anywhere.  Low of 3-above tomorrow night, then a high of 14 on Wednesday with a low of minus-4 on Wednesday night.

It's about time, though. It's been ridiculously above-normal here - and the first measurable snow was more than SIX WEEKS LATE this season! It was THE LATEST first snowfall of the winter season in 150 years of record keeping here.

How much did you get? I saw where Bumpass was supposed to get upwards of 10 inches.

We got some over the weekend -- not a ton -- anywhere from 1 to 8 inches, depending on WHERE ... significantly lower accumulations far south of the city - and 8 inches in southeast Wisconsin to our north. Also, accumulations were higher closer to Lake Michigan.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm so glad you got snow, too! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley: There's nothing like RVA snow, though. I think it's the moisture content. It usually doesn't stick to EVERY possible tree limb -- even the smallest twigs -- here like it does in RVA. Probably because the temperature is colder here - and the snow is often drier. Plus it's often windy here when we get a snowstorm -- so the snow gets blown around.  The other big difference is that often it warms up in the days following a snowstorm in RVA -- so it might not hang around very long. We're supposed to get some pretty cold weather here this week - so the snow isn't going anywhere.  Low of 3-above tomorrow night, then a high of 14 on Wednesday with a low of minus-4 on Wednesday night.

That's cold,  had some like that when we lived in Vermont, going down to about 17 here.

It's about time, though. It's been ridiculously above-normal here - and the first measurable snow was more than SIX WEEKS LATE this season! It was THE LATEST first snowfall of the winter season in 150 years of record keeping here.

I hadn't heard that,  unreal.

How much did you get? I saw where Bumpass was supposed to get upwards of 10 inches.

We're in the west end, I think about 7" or so. RIC official is 2"

We got some over the weekend -- not a ton -- anywhere from 1 to 8 inches, depending on WHERE ... significantly lower accumulations far south of the city - and 8 inches in southeast Wisconsin to our north. Also, accumulations were higher closer to Lake Michigan.

Might just be getting started now for you. 

Edited by Hike

13 hours ago, Hike said:

SIX WEEKS LATE here for first seasonal snowfall:  Yep. Totally unprecedented. Welcome to climate change. I hate this new "normal" because I love fall and winter -- and those seasons are shrinking.

West End 7" ... RIC 2" ... that always bummed me that the "official" snowfall amount is almost always so much less than what the rest of the metro -- particularly the city and at least the western half of Henrico and Hanover -- get. Back in the late '90s, I lived in Woodman Terrace/Laurel -- north of Parham Road and just east of Woodman Road. And I forget what year it was - but we had a really good snowstorm for which RIC officially recorded something like 3.5" or maybe 5" (I honestly can't remember) ... and on my back deck we got just over 18"  Having a snowfall recording station SO close to the traditional rain/snow line -- and having it located SO far to the east of the city I think really underserves winter-weather reporting in RVA.

Just getting started here: I hope so, but looking at how the jet stream has played out this fall/winter so far, I'm not confident. Normally in a La Nina winter, we get quite a bit of snowfall here -- but that's not panned out the last couple of winters -- (last year was also a La Nina). Two years ago, we had a lackluster winter season - then had TWO snowstorms that dropped  6 to 8" each two weeks apart in April - and then we even got a couple of inches from yet another storm in early May -- a rarity even for here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

West End 7" ... RIC 2" ... that always bummed me that the "official" snowfall amount is almost always so much less than what the rest of the metro -- particularly the city and at least the western half of Henrico and Hanover -- get. Back in the late '90s, I lived in Woodman Terrace/Laurel -- north of Parham Road and just east of Woodman Road. And I forget what year it was - but we had a really good snowstorm for which RIC officially recorded something like 3.5" or maybe 5" (I honestly can't remember) ... and on my back deck we got just over 18"  Having a snowfall recording station SO close to the traditional rain/snow line -- and having it located SO far to the east of the city I think really underserves winter-weather reporting in RVA.

Yeah, this one is mostly off when comparing to our location, it works the opposite as well,  mostly I see it with rain, where we'll get little to no rain and the airport reports an inch. Not sure if all equals out but we are rarely what is recorded.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hike said:

Yeah, this one is mostly off when comparing to our location, it works the opposite as well,  mostly I see it with rain, where we'll get little to no rain and the airport reports an inch. Not sure if all equals out but we are rarely what is recorded.

Since the NWS forecasting office moved to Wakefield (that was a head scratcher for me, too) -- I remember being concerned that they'd move the official RVA observation station out there as well. 

NYC handles weather observations the right way, IMO. Central Park, baby! You want the official NYC observations for THE CITY -- look for the data from Central Park.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, RiverYuppy said:

I've noticed a small change since the new year that I think tells a lot about the upcoming year.  In 2021 and previous Richmond BizSense generally did 3 stories per day.  In 2022 so far they're doing 4! Not only does that mean more interesting things for us to read but also their prognostication that there are going to be more things for them to write about in 2022!

I love the optimism but I believe they usually do four but cut down towards the end of the year to three.