Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Can't say I was so lucky. The vaccum cleaner that I had inadvertently left in the car found a new home. And they pocketed maybe a dollar or two worth of pennies, nickels, dimes and a couple of quarters. Aside from that, they just left behind a big mess for me to clean up. If they're going to empty the glove box looking for whatever they had hoped to find (and didn't), they could have AT LEAST had the courtesy and common decency to put back what they spilled out. It would only have taken a couple of extra seconds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else following along the Washington NFL new name and uniforms controversy? 

I was really looking forward to finally having a football team and was excited for me and my boy to cheer on the Warthogs/Redhogs, Redtails, or Red Wolves... and they choose Washington Commanders. Oh jeez.

Then everyone said "I can tolerate it maybe if jerseys are good..." - and then the jerseys came out as if it was order by a low budget high school team. 

What a botch job. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Anybody else following along the Washington NFL new name and uniforms controversy? 

I was really looking forward to finally having a football team and was excited for me and my boy to cheer on the Warthogs/Redhogs, Redtails, or Red Wolves... and they choose Washington Commanders. Oh jeez.

Then everyone said "I can tolerate it maybe if jerseys are good..." - and then the jerseys came out as if it was order by a low budget high school team. 

What a botch job. 

Yes - UGH... I'm underwhelmed by Commanders. I personally wanted "Warriors" -- (I don't see any problem with it -- I would think it would bring honor to -- and not be potentially offensive -- to Native Americans - and I sure as heck don't see Golden State (NBA) changing their nickname any more than I see the Kansas City Chiefs changing theirs. Plus, if the club wanted to stick to a more 'military' component rather than Native American, they could draw from the fact that the USMC refers to their troops not as soldiers but as warriors.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THOSE GARISH, AWFUL, HIDEOUS UNIFORMS!!! I nearly puked up my breakfast when I saw THAT train wreck of a dumpster fire. JESUS -- WHY do they jettison a CLASSIC look in favor of something that looks like it was designed by someone who had dropped acid before setting pen to paper? These duds (and believe me, they are total duds!!) actually make all those horrific sea-sickening/air-sickening/car-sickening Oregon Ducks uniforms of the past 15 or so years look "normal". UGH...

PLEASE... Danny Snyder ... don't do this to us!

The whole thing is awful. :sick:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Yes - UGH... I'm underwhelmed by Commanders. I personally wanted "Warriors" -- (I don't see any problem with it -- I would think it would bring honor to -- and not be potentially offensive -- to Native Americans - and I sure as heck don't see Golden State (NBA) changing their nickname any more than I see the Kansas City Chiefs changing theirs. Plus, if the club wanted to stick to a more 'military' component rather than Native American, they could draw from the fact that the USMC refers to their troops not as soldiers but as warriors.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THOSE GARISH, AWFUL, HIDEOUS UNIFORMS!!! I nearly puked up my breakfast when I saw THAT train wreck of a dumpster fire. JESUS -- WHY do they jettison a CLASSIC look in favor of something that looks like it was designed by someone who had dropped acid before setting pen to paper? These duds (and believe me, they are total duds!!) actually make all those horrific sea-sickening/air-sickening/car-sickening Oregon Ducks uniforms of the past 15 or so years look "normal". UGH...

PLEASE... Danny Snyder ... don't do this to us!

The whole thing is awful. :sick:

The design company (code and theory?) according to their own website is a "digital design first" company. Why would you hire a company to design your uniforms (a physical thing that is everything but digital) and have so much influence? Apparently Dan Snyder's wife was "heavy influence" on the design as well. 

The uniforms couldn't be more simple if you asked for it. The black one especially. It's like zero thought was given to it... even the numbers look quite sad. Zero effort. Where are the classic yellow pants?!

The name is a big let down. I have military in my family. I almost joined when I was 18 and then again when I graduated college. My family loves the military. But I do not want my child breathing more of that type of stuff than he needs to so I'm very unhappy about the name. It's football, make it fun and let's play the game. Warthogs, Red Wolves, or Red Hogs had so much potential. You could do so much with it in terms of merchandise, stadium entertainment, slogans, mottos, fight songs, costumes, etc. Now....we just have...the "commanders" - I can hear it now "Well, looks like the Cowboys took a commanding lead in this second half!" "Washington is going to need to command some enthusiasm this last quarter if they want any hope of winning..."

Might as well name yourself the "winners" and play into the joke at this point. Or wieners...

Edited by ancientcarpenter
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

The design company (code and theory?) according to their own website is a "digital design first" company. Why would you hire a company to design your uniforms (a physical thing that is everything but digital) and have so much influence? Apparently Dan Snyder's wife was "heavy influence" on the design as well. 

The uniforms couldn't be more simple if you asked for it. The black one especially. It's like zero thought was given to it... even the numbers look quite sad. Zero effort. Where are the classic yellow pants?!

The name is a big let down. I have military in my family. I almost joined when I was 18 and then again when I graduated college. My family loves the military. But I do not want my child breathing more of that type of stuff than he needs to so I'm very unhappy about the name. It's football, make it fun and let's play the game. Warthogs, Red Wolves, or Red Hogs had so much potential. You could do so much with it in terms of merchandise, stadium entertainment, slogans, mottos, fight songs, costumes, etc. Now....we just have...the "commanders" - I can hear it now "Well, looks like the Cowboys took a commanding lead in this second half!" "Washington is going to need to command some enthusiasm this last quarter if they want any hope of winning..."

Might as well name yourself the "winners" and play into the joke at this point. Or wieners...

Well said, my friend! "Wieners" is about right!

Dear God - MRS Snyder had a big influence on the uniforms? Jesus - okay - that explains a lot. And what's with BLACK???  REALLY???? I'm sorry - TRADITIONAL colors, please - BURGUNDY, GOLD, WHITE. DONE! Can't say it any more simply than that. They're going to be impossible to watch next season, wearing ugly uniforms.

Ditto here regarding family history and the military. My father and six uncles (may God rest their souls) were all World War II combat veterans. My father and four of my uncles were in the Army and served in Europe, and two uncles were in the Navy and served in the Pacific. Thank God all returned home, although one of my uncles was captured by the Wehrmacht and was in a POW camp in northwestern Germany in 1944-45. He had his teeth knocked out by a Waffen SS officer who was interrogating him and other prisoners in the camp. Since my uncle didn't understand German and wasn't about to give up anything aside from name, rank and serial number, the SS mamzer grabbed a rifle and smashed my uncle in the face with the butt end. My uncle wore dentures for the rest of his life.

Two of my cousins served in the Marines, one or two in the Navy, and a couple more in the Army. I went to an ROTC school and was actively recruited and would have gone to OCS right out of boot camp. I regret to this day that I didn't join up.

All of THAT said - I'm 100% with you on the name. Like you said - it's football. Plain and simple. Heck, I would have been happier with Generals, tbh. Commanders? Yeesh... :sick:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I always find it interesting when someone says the Detroit lions should change there name and colors because of our awful losing history since our inception and I’m like not going to change a thing when the ford family is the owner. Kind of like dan Snyder dan could lose all of his fans and move the team anywhere in the world and get the same result because guess what dan Snyder owns the team. It’s all to do with owners not the team itself. They need to get dan and his wife to well. Kind of like how lions fans wanted William and Martha to sell and then Martha ford handed it to her daughter Sheila ford hamp and now it’s like an angel as come to our rescue and actually care about the team for once and has changed the culture to the best I have ever seen it in my lifetime. Have a really smart gm who scouted Aaron Donald and cooper kupp in la and was the scouting director for the rams. So I’m very excited he put together the majority of that rams team. Also have another guy who was the gm for the chiefs who built that super bowl winning chiefs team and to what they are still today. John Dorsey, so we finally have some positivity and are working to get out of the dumpster fire that has really never been put out. It has smoldered and reignited when Matt Patricia and bob quinn came along. Or as I call them quinntricia. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I always find it interesting when someone says the Detroit lions should change there name and colors because of our awful losing history since our inception and I’m like not going to change a thing when the ford family is the owner. Kind of like dan Snyder dan could lose all of his fans and move the team anywhere in the world and get the same result because guess what dan Snyder owns the team. It’s all to do with owners not the team itself. They need to get dan and his wife to well. Kind of like how lions fans wanted William and Martha to sell and then Martha ford handed it to her daughter Sheila ford hamp and now it’s like an angel as come to our rescue and actually care about the team for once and has changed the culture to the best I have ever seen it in my lifetime. Have a really smart gm who scouted Aaron Donald and cooper kupp in la and was the scouting director for the rams. So I’m very excited he put together the majority of that rams team. Also have another guy who was the gm for the chiefs who built that super bowl winning chiefs team and to what they are still today. John Dorsey, so we finally have some positivity and are working to get out of the dumpster fire that has really never been put out. It has smoldered and reignited when Matt Patricia and bob quinn came along. Or as I call them quinntricia. 

I really want the Lions to do well - I've always liked them (I wish they'd go back to their GORGEOUS classic uniforms from the 1970s though) and I'd give anything if they still played in Tiger Stadium or in a replica -- 100% OUTDOOR stadium with natural grass. (DON'T GET ME STARTED ON ROOFED/DOMED STADIUMS & THAT GOD-AWFUL "FIELD TURF" DREK SO MANY TEAMS PLAY ON...) I'm old enough to remember seeing Lions games on TV when they played in Tiger Stadium. Either way, the fans of the club deserve far better than the awful iteration of the "Motor City Kitties" that have had so many ridiculously bad seasons in recent times -- even when they had Megatron in the fold. Unbelievable the talent that went through Detroit even just since the great Barry Sanders retired.

Another team I'd like to see really succeed is the Browns. Talk about the "jilted lover" -- HOW many times did they lose in the AFC championship game in heartbreaking fashion? Ask any Clevelander about "the Drive", "the Fumble", and "Red Right-88" and they'll tell you how bad it's been on the shores of Lake Erie.

How 'bout this for a Super Bowl - a flashback to three old-school NFL championship games from the 1950s -- the Lions against the Browns in the Super Bowl!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:  I'm not entirely sure the Rust Belt could handle that!

What's the line on any of us living to see that happen?

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I really want the Lions to do well - I've always liked them (I wish they'd go back to their GORGEOUS classic uniforms from the 1970s though) and I'd give anything if they still played in Tiger Stadium or in a replica -- 100% OUTDOOR stadium with natural grass. (DON'T GET ME STARTED ON ROOFED/DOMED STADIUMS & THAT GOD-AWFUL "FIELD TURF" DREK SO MANY TEAMS PLAY ON...) I'm old enough to remember seeing Lions games on TV when they played in Tiger Stadium. Either way, the fans of the club deserve far better than the awful iteration of the "Motor City Kitties" that have had so many ridiculously bad seasons in recent times -- even when they had Megatron in the fold. Unbelievable the talent that went through Detroit even just since the great Barry Sanders retired.

Another team I'd like to see really succeed is the Browns. Talk about the "jilted lover" -- HOW many times did they lose in the AFC championship game in heartbreaking fashion? Ask any Clevelander about "the Drive", "the Fumble", and "Red Right-88" and they'll tell you how bad it's been on the shores of Lake Erie.

How 'bout this for a Super Bowl - a flashback to three old-school NFL championship games from the 1950s -- the Lions against the Browns in the Super Bowl!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:  I'm not entirely sure the Rust Belt could handle that!

What's the line on any of us living to see that happen?

Yeah I’m going to be honest that super bowl would be like Michigan playing Ohio state for the national title.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:15 PM, ancientcarpenter said:

What a botch job. 

Washington Spare Ribs would have been better.

The problem with the What Football Team is the ownership.  As long as Danny dude owns the team, best of luck having multiple successful seasons.  Hopefully with these recent and subsequent sexual harassment allegations, he will be forced to sell the team.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every RedWolves fan-made helmet/jersey I saw online was simply incredible and so much better than what they selected. I get the honor-the-military sentiment, but based on a sample size of one, my friend who’s a former Army Ranger, they missed the mark. He says the commanders are the “lost souls in the field” everyone else has to keep safe.

The whole naming process was all a show, of course. They didn’t listen to fan input because Snyder decided on the name long ago.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shakman said:

Washington Spare Ribs would have been better.

The problem with the What Football Team is the ownership.  As long as Danny dude owns the team, best of luck having multiple successful seasons.  Hopefully with these recent and subsequent sexual harassment allegations, he will be forced to sell the team.

I've been praying, chanting, bringing burnt offerings, etc., to the various football gods ever since Diaper Danny Boy bought the team -- hoping, praying, wishing that he'd sell it. For someone who is a self-proclaimed lifelong fan who as a kid went religiously to RFK Stadium, he has run this franchise straight into the ground. How telling is it that the only way they won the NFC title in recent seasons is when the entire division was so god awful that they could muster only a 7-9 mark - and that was good enough for first place?

It just chaps me that it's been 30 years now since this team was actually legit good.

6 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

Every RedWolves fan-made helmet/jersey I saw online was simply incredible and so much better than what they selected. I get the honor-the-military sentiment, but based on a sample size of one, my friend who’s a former Army Ranger, they missed the mark. He says the commanders are the “lost souls in the field” everyone else has to keep safe.

The whole naming process was all a show, of course. They didn’t listen to fan input because Snyder decided on the name long ago.

You honestly summarized it perfectly.

I really hope these sexual assault controversies get to Snyder and he is forced to sell. He sounds like a dumpster fire of a human being. 

• Like 1

Fox Elementary School, built in 1911, was engulfed in fire late last night and my understanding is at least the top floor and roof sustained heavy damage and/or was destroyed. This is disturbing enough on its own, but the RTD is reporting the fire department initially went to the scene, detected nothing amiss from the outside, called the alarm company and RPS to gain admittance inside the building to give it another look, and left after “there was not any access granted as a result of those calls.”  Based on the passive phrasing, it’s hard to tell if those calls were simply not answered or something else. The fire started after that. 

My wife’s mother and aunts went to school at Fox, and her grandmother taught there for over four decades.

• Sad 7

As a follow-up, an NBC12 reporter says the Richmond fire chief said the firefighters did indeed go inside the building, walked it for 40 minutes or so, didn’t find anything, and left, after which they were called back for the fire. To be clear, I’m not interested in blame toward school officials or fire officials, but I thought it fair to include this since I had posted something from the RTD in tension with that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, eandslee said:

Who else is tired of hearing about Shake Shack?!  You’d think that it was Apple moving its HQ to Richmond!!!  RBS - it’s not that big of a news story.  Development news is really slow lately.  This is what we get for it. :rolleyes:

But wait, there's more breaking news about it, did you know shake shack was going to have a drive thru?  Totally agree, between RTD, RBS, CBS6,NBC12, it's everywhere.  It's fast food, good grief...there's been one in Va. Beach for years, it's a hamburger, fries and milkshakes, let's go get fat.  Now that I'm older, I can't eat much of this food group, I'd put on the pounds and no way to get rid of it. If it's slow development news time, I'd rather see updates on existing projects, those can be just a good.  

• Like 3

Has anyone been by 519 E Franklin lately? This is close to Hotel Greene and next door to the under construction Moxy Hotel. There is convenience store and parking garage there. We walk by frequently and half the building has been fenced off for a couple of years as bricks were falling off the building. It seems finally the structure has been condemned. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is actually going on? The building needs to go and is a prime spot for redevelopment...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeglass said:

Has anyone been by 519 E Franklin lately? This is close to Hotel Greene and next door to the under construction Moxy Hotel. There is convenience store and parking garage there. We walk by frequently and half the building has been fenced off for a couple of years as bricks were falling off the building. It seems finally the structure has been condemned. Does anyone have any knowledge of what is actually going on? The building needs to go and is a prime spot for redevelopment...

That would be a great spot for a new tower.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Icetera said:

That would be a great spot for a new tower.

AMEN!!

From your keyboard to God's eyes, my friend! :tw_thumbsup:

Looks like it's a very old parking garage with long-shuttered retail on the ground level. Agreed - a PERFECT spot for a tower of some kind - perhaps a 15-18 story residential tower. Would any one of our resident CRE gurus have access to knowledge about who owns this property or what might be happening?

Screenshot (937).png

Screenshot (935).png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1