Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm with you on questioning this. What are county regs on something like that?

Very curious if the county would simply let the owner reclaim the snake - is there a "snake license" in Henrico? Given the size of this monster, I would imagine that the county DEFINITELY would end up getting involved if, God-forbid, the snake got out again and someone was injured or, God-forbid, worse. (I'm thinking a small child, for example - and as a dad, I shudder even saying that, even tho my kids --- all school age -- aren't "little" anymore.)

They are not illegal but agree and hope they ask a lot of questions before just handing it back, if they attempt to go get it. I’m actually a bit weirded out and don’t see my yard the same way today. I’ll get over that, but each time I’m out there today I’m looking around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

They are not illegal but agree and hope they ask a lot of questions before just handing it back, if they attempt to go get it. I’m actually a bit weirded out and don’t see my yard the same way today. I’ll get over that, but each time I’m out there today I’m looking around.

I'm with you. I'd be freaked stepping foot into the yard until this situation is fully resolved. Wow... 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that Channel 6's skytracker cams aren't working? It's stuck on a nighttime view of downtown, the Diamond and Petersburg from several days ago - and the RIC view is from a couple of WEEKS ago. I've checked this on multiple browsers so I don't think it's a browser cache issue on my end.

https://www.wtvr.com/weather/skytracker-cams

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Has anyone noticed that Channel 6's skytracker cams aren't working? It's stuck on a nighttime view of downtown, the Diamond and Petersburg from several days ago - and the RIC view is from a couple of WEEKS ago. I've checked this on multiple browsers so I don't think it's a browser cache issue on my end.

https://www.wtvr.com/weather/skytracker-cams

I've noticed the same.  Not sure what's up.  Might have to send an email note to WTVR and find out if they can "unstuck" the cameras!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I've noticed the same.  Not sure what's up.  Might have to send an email note to WTVR and find out if they can "unstuck" the cameras!

Glad I'm not the only one -- not that I'm glad that the cam is down. The Petersburg cam froze up for about a week a month or so ago. 

• Like 1

Any new plans submitted this week to the city for any future projects?  Seems like it’s been very quiet lately. There’s gotta be something new in the pipeline. 

With that said, it’s just as important to see the projects that have already been announced started and then completed. 

Also, I drove up I-95 north up through Richmond on Tuesday and I couldn't see any of the tower cranes in the skyline, at least from my vantage point. I did see the couple in Manchester, but you have to be looking and know what you’re looking for to see them.  There’s no “in your face” obvious major construction projects that you can see from the interstate…that’s what CoStar’s new tower construction will provide…if it ever gets going!  Would love to see some kind of movement there on-site….a construction fence, port-o-potties, equipment…something!  I’m pathetic. LOL!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Any new plans submitted this week to the city for any future projects?  Seems like it’s been very quiet lately. There’s gotta be something new in the pipeline. 

With that said, it’s just as important to see the projects that have already been announced started and then completed. 

Also, I drove up I-95 north up through Richmond on Tuesday and I couldn't see any of the tower cranes in the skyline, at least from my vantage point. I did see the couple in Manchester, but you have to be looking and know what you’re looking for to see them.  There’s no “in your face” obvious major construction projects that you can see from the interstate…that’s what CoStar’s new tower construction will provide…if it ever gets going!  Would love to see some kind of movement there on-site….a construction fence, port-o-potties, equipment…something!  I’m pathetic. LOL!

Yeah, the exciting news was a Chipotle sign went up in Manchester.  Bizsense and other developments of late

https://youtube.com/shorts/AflG6qH1eDw?feature=share

Edited by Hike
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

I'm okay with it being a slow time of year; there's plenty of stuff actually IN the pipeline. It's more the lack of activity that's bothering me. Yes - there's lots of stuff happening in Manchester and in Scott's, and as @Child2021updated us, activity is back underway at the Bakery Lofts - so that seems to be moving forward. The biggie for me is getting CoStar construction underway. The longer it goes without activity and groundbreaking, the bigger the knot in my stomach gets. I know - it's not Septmeber yet. It's not autumn yet. And that's when groundbreaking is projected to take place. 

The other project I'm anxious about is The Admiral. A new letter confirming zoning was to have been issued to the developers at of 10 August (based on new/updated July refiling). I wonder if that's happened yet? And if so, what else needs to happen to get the ball rolling at 2nd and E. Marshall? That's been 'stuck' in application mode for at least 3/4 of a year now. I'd like to see this one get underway.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CitiWalker said:

I can see two cranes from my point of view.

For some reason, seeing the two cranes, that reminded me of fantasy island, but instead of tatoo saying “the plane” in my mind he was yelling  “ the cranes, the cranes” This reference goes to the way back machine, might only be understood by @I miss RVA

https://youtu.be/DlnOcZK892E

Edited by Hike
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hike said:

For some reason, seeing the two cranes, that reminded me of fantasy island, but instead of tatoo saying “the plane” in my mind he was yelling  “ the cranes, the cranes” This reference goes to the way back machine, might only be understood by @I miss RVA

https://youtu.be/DlnOcZK892E

Oh, I get it too! ;)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Oh, I get it too! ;)

Yep, we old buzzards in the crowd get this one :tw_wink:

4 hours ago, CitiWalker said:

I can see two cranes from my point of view.

079BD7FF-EA37-46E4-8D47-5D3672478D4E.jpeg

21CE64CA-5DC5-497B-94B9-8363C1BFA9BD.jpeg

F13E63AE-A279-4EF2-B931-B8759C41CE57.jpeg

Holy wow @CitiWalker!! This are AWESOME!! Thanks so much for taking and posting them!

I keep holding out hope that we'll see another one from maybe Bakery Lofts or CoStar join the fun before either of these (prolly the STEM building) gets disassembled and taken down. I wish the Admiral could get unstuck in the city permit office and get underway soon.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 5:46 PM, I miss RVA said:

Yep, we old buzzards in the crowd get this one :tw_wink:

Holy wow @CitiWalker!! This are AWESOME!! Thanks so much for taking and posting them!

I keep holding out hope that we'll see another one from maybe Bakery Lofts or CoStar join the fun before either of these (prolly the STEM building) gets disassembled and taken down. I wish the Admiral could get unstuck in the city permit office and get underway soon.

The last exterior panel went up last week for the STEM building so I expect that one will be coming down soon.

• Like 1

Stumbled across this YouTube video courtesy of the weekly RVA 5x5 email newsletter. REALLLLLLY cool video from WTVR-TV6's YouTube channel - recorded in 1953 of construction of the 843-foot-tall TV-6 tower. SO cool to see.

Enjoy a little window into the beginning of what has been an RVA icon for multiple generations.

• Like 3