Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I really hope it is not the Grace\Foushee PW site - we were hoping for a 16 story project there - but it is possible given  Walter Parks history of designing at Parkway sites  in the past (admiral). 

Ge_capture.JPG

Edited by whw53
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, whw53 said:

Or is it a new concept for 15 W Grace? A YMCA parcel we know WP is working on.

Ge_capture2.JPG

JESUS CHRIST - I hope and pray not. We DON'T need a bunch of 4 or 5 or 6 story buildings cluttering up downtown and taking up space that could, would, SHOULD be occupied down the road by taller towers.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, whw53 said:

Or is it a new concept for 15 W Grace? A YMCA parcel we know WP is working on.

Ge_capture2.JPG

That rendering does not seem to fit either lot as it is clearly mid-block rather than on a corner.  Note that it is bookended by existing buildings with alley access to its right.

• Like 1

I’m going to call today the day of handing out likes, everybody is getting likes, like, lots of likes. The comments about Manchester and the brewery view disruption are a treasure trove of likes. Take them my people, run with them, enjoy them, for we are in a special place that doesn’t happen that often…Happy Friday!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’m going to call today the day of handing out likes, everybody is getting likes, like, lots of likes. The comments about Manchester and the brewery view disruption are a treasure trove of likes. Take them my people, run with them, enjoy them, for we are in a special place that doesn’t happen that often…Happy Friday!

Thank you for doing this. Oh - that said, don't forget the thank you's, too! Thank you again! :tw_smiley:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

COMMANDERS WIN!!! COMMANDERS WIN!!!   Final - 28-22 -- WHAT A GAME!!!

Okay - the new week has already started out GREAT!! 

GO 'MANDERS!!!!

redballteammanderswin.jpg

enjoy it we will see you next week in the lions den in Detroit. I can’t wait for you to meet our new and highly improved team. Yes we lost to eagles by three today but they are about to do damage much  worse to other teams than they did to us. Also the bears even though they won it’s time to move out of Chicago to Arlington heights. That sorry mayor in Chicago I hope keeps losing businesses to other states. We will gladly take many of them from Chicago here to Richmond. Also dc needs to get Snyder out and get that new stadium done that thing in Maryland has always smelled awful. I kinda hate the commanders won it takes the eyes off of dan snyder sadly, 

3 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

enjoy it we will see you next week in the lions den in Detroit. I can’t wait for you to meet our new and highly improved team. Yes we lost to eagles by three today but they are about to do damage much  worse to other teams than they did to us. Also the bears even though they won it’s time to move out of Chicago to Arlington heights. That sorry mayor in Chicago I hope keeps losing businesses to other states. We will gladly take many of them from Chicago here to Richmond. Also dc needs to get Snyder out and get that new stadium done that thing in Maryland has always smelled awful. I kinda hate the commanders won it takes the eyes off of dan snyder sadly, 

Oh man - I have to say, I'm not looking forward to the Lions game. I think they're actually a much better team than folks think - and they don't get enough credit. My only lament is that they don't still play in Tiger Stadium. No - not the Pontiac Silverdome- but OPEN AIR - NATURAL GRASS Tiger Stadium (they left the grande dame in 1974 to move to Pontiac) ... Re: the Bears - whatever happens happens. I don't have a dog in the fight, so if they go to Arlington Heights, it's no issue for me. My ONLY ask is that they play in an OPEN AIR - NATURAL GRASS facility -- NO ROOF - retractable or otherwise. I can't stand these modern mausoleums like SoFi or Allegiant or whatever that spaceship in Atlanta is. Ugh... Football is an outdoor sport and should be played on natural grass in the elements. 

But I digress...

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Oh man - I have to say, I'm not looking forward to the Lions game. I think they're actually a much better team than folks think - and they don't get enough credit. My only lament is that they don't still play in Tiger Stadium. No - not the Pontiac Silverdome- but OPEN AIR - NATURAL GRASS Tiger Stadium (they left the grande dame in 1974 to move to Pontiac) ... Re: the Bears - whatever happens happens. I don't have a dog in the fight, so if they go to Arlington Heights, it's no issue for me. My ONLY ask is that they play in an OPEN AIR - NATURAL GRASS facility -- NO ROOF - retractable or otherwise. I can't stand these modern mausoleums like SoFi or Allegiant or whatever that spaceship in Atlanta is. Ugh... Football is an outdoor sport and should be played on natural grass in the elements. 

But I digress...

I agree with you 100 percent on all of that. They need to revert back to natural grass the turf they use is the number one reason injuries are increasing. I hate turf always have. College is outdoors still so should pro. I had indoor football stadiums it’s the place sissy’s go play football. Need to revert to real man football and all outdoor. I never like the Pontiac silver dome. Tiger stadium was beautiful loved the tigers playing there. I had heard the lions played there at one point and thought that was really cool. I really miss tiger stadium it was a beautiful old stadium. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Downtowner said:

I agree with you 100 percent on all of that. They need to revert back to natural grass the turf they use is the number one reason injuries are increasing. I hate turf always have. College is outdoors still so should pro. I had indoor football stadiums it’s the place sissy’s go play football. Need to revert to real man football and all outdoor. I never like the Pontiac silver dome. Tiger stadium was beautiful loved the tigers playing there. I had heard the lions played there at one point and thought that was really cool. I really miss tiger stadium it was a beautiful old stadium. 

1.) AMEN!!! Indeed, the players HATE playing on anything other than natural grass - the NFLPA as recently as a couple of years ago (when the current player who is the head of the NFLPA took office) filed something just short of a grievance with the league, requesting (demanding??) that the league mandate that natural grass be the ONLY playing surface in ALL NFL stadiums. Even the latest-greatest iteration of "Field Turf" is directly linked to a significantly higher number of non-contact injuries. The players HATE it - and to a man, they all want natural grass.

2.) AMEN!!! Football is meant to be played outdoors - in the elements. Which means heat/humidity... sunshine... rain... cold... snow... ice... mud... THAT is football!

3.) Tiger Stadium was a classic ballpark that was also an outstanding football venue. Of course, the way revenue generation in professional sports has changed, it -- quite unfortunately -- no longer works because it is nearly impossible to retrofit old, classic, legacy stadiums with the kind of luxury boxes that make owners a tremendous amount of money. ALSO - , again from a revenue standpoint, I'm not sure that Tiger Stadium could be retrofitted to increase seating capacity. When the Lions played their last season at the facility in 1974, the stadium could seat 54,418 for football (slightly less for baseball). And while this is satisfactory for league-mandated stadium capacity regulations, it would by far be the smallest stadium in today's NFL. Currently, NO NFL stadium seats fewer than 60,000 fans. Also - because of the way the field was configured relative to the layout for baseball, both teams' benches were placed along one single sideline (meaning, not on opposite sides of the field) - and I don't believe that is allowable under current NFL rules.

4.) YES!! The Lions played there from 1938 to midway through Week 12 of the 1974 season; the final game was on Thanksgiving Day, a 31-27 loss to the Denver Broncos. (The Lions played their final two games of the '74 season on the road - note: the NFL played a 14-game season at the time).

I vividly remember watching telecasts of NFL games from Tiger Stadium (usually Thanksgiving Day games) from 1970 (when I first started watching football) through 1974, when the Lions left for Pontiac. BTW - Washington beat Detroit 20-0 at Tiger Stadium on Thanksgiving Day of 1973. :tw_thumbsup:

On 9/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, Wahoo 07 said:

Question for the moderator -- what is the urbanplanet policy regarding promotions?  A good friend of mine just published a novel and a lot of it is set in Richmond.  Is it okay for me to promote it and/or link it to this site?  Thanks

As you are a regular poster, and clearly not a spammer, I see no issue with it here in Off Topic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Icetera said:

As you are a regular poster, and clearly not a spammer, I see no issue with it here in Off Topic.

Thanks @Icetera.   The book is called "The Phoenix of Upperville."  It's a political/legal mystery that deals with how history (esp. the Civil War) and place impact our present times.  The link to the publisher, Richmond-based Brandylane, is https://www.brandylanepublishers.com/product/the-phoenix-of-upperville/.   There's a summary there as well as a purchasing option.

It's also available on Amazon, B&N, etc. 

Thanks for letting me do this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Hope everyone is having a nice day. I’ve heard it’s a beautiful day outside today. I’m at home sick me and my entire family is sick. My soon to be 6 month old daughter got sick at day care my wife has got some sinus cold and flu mess and I’ve got the same as my wife on top of a very soar throat. 

Sorry you and your family are not feeling well, I hope it’s not Covid, I’ve heard it includes a very sore throat. Not sure if there are Covid tests still available at CVS etc. if you want to check, in any case, get your rest, take your vitamin C, keep hydrated and get better soon to you and your family, peace.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hike said:

Sorry you and your family are not feeling well, I hope it’s not Covid, I’ve heard it includes a very sore throat. Not sure if there are Covid tests still available at CVS etc. if you want to check, in any case, get your rest, take your vitamin C, keep hydrated and get better soon to you and your family, peace.

I’ve tested negative three times so far is not covid It doesn’t seem like.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downtowner said:

I’ve tested negative three times so far is not covid It doesn’t seem like.

That’s good, well bad you all are not feeling well, but better than some potential long drawn out affair. One other item I missed with my home remedies, and this always helped me and still live by it even when I’m not sick, try to get at least 8 hours of sleep a day, though you have kid(s) so easy for me to say, oh, one more, hike too, fresh air! 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Downtowner said:

Hope everyone is having a nice day. I’ve heard it’s a beautiful day outside today. I’m at home sick me and my entire family is sick. My soon to be 6 month old daughter got sick at day care my wife has got some sinus cold and flu mess and I’ve got the same as my wife on top of a very soar throat. 

In my prayers for a quick recovery.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1