Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

4 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I really hope they don't do that. It will take the charm away from the Folk festival and RVA and just become another paid thing. Main reason I got into it was because it was free in my younger years and just learned to love it and love RVA even more.

From what I understand, Folk festival nationally came to RVA for first 3 years and then they moved to a different city - this is their entire schtick.  Then they hand it off to the local city and Folk festival organizers to manage. It's their way of leaving breadcrumbs and spreading the "movement" which is genius in my view. Making it a paid thing would crack the foundation of the Folk Festival philosophy at its core. :) 

I'd rather they do whatever is necessary to make this a permanent RVA fixture (which it sounds like it is) and really grow this thing into a national/international event. Boost the attendance from 230K to 500K to 1 million-plus annually! This could do for Richmond what Austin City Limits has done for Austin over all these decades. Especially with the new shining riverfront venue - and - a booming skyline as the backdrop, this is a MAJOR marketing tool that RVA needs to have in her arsenal annually. 

• Like 1

Hello. New member here. I have been a  faithful reader for many years now and have finally decided to join.

I wanted to share information about an upcoming event on Thursday,  October 20th that may be of interest. It's an exhibition featuring 22 modern architectural models by 10 Richmond area architects and designers. Many of the architects will be on hand for casual discussion. 

The event is free but registration for tickets is required. Below is the Eventbrite link with additional details and ticket information.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/414879324227

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

52 minutes ago, kllrjnk said:

Hello. New member here. I have been a  faithful reader for many years now and have finally decided to join.

I wanted to share information about an upcoming event on Thursday,  October 20th that may be of interest. It's an exhibition featuring 22 modern architectural models by 10 Richmond area architects and designers. Many of the architects will be on hand for casual discussion. 

The event is free but registration for tickets is required. Below is the Eventbrite link with additional details and ticket information.

Welcome to the forums, @kllrjnk!! Thanks for posting this event - looks like it will be pretty cool.  Any idea if it might be recorded?

Glad you took the Nestea Plunge and joined the rest of us RVA crazies! Glad you're here - and very much hope you'll post frequently. :tw_thumbsup::tw_smile:

1 hour ago, kllrjnk said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this!  

I wonder if we’d get any insight into any future Richmond developments through the models they will display?  Also, might be able to just ask some of the architects about some of the projects announced that we haven’t seen renderings for. Could be interesting.  

I bet a quarter Walter Parks will be represented!  [eye roll]

Edited by eandslee

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

1.) I wonder if we’d get any insight into any future Richmond developments through the models they will display?  

2.) Also, might be able to just ask some of the architects about some of the projects announced that we haven’t seen renderings for. Could be interesting.  

3.) I bet a quarter Walter Parks will be represented!  [eye roll]

1.) - That would be super interesting to see.

2.) - YESSS!! I want to know the answers to that myself!

3.) - I think the bigger bet will be HOW MUCH will Walter Parks be represented? (meaning - percentage of models exhibited) :tw_joy:

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed the new lighting on the Truist building downtown? I couldn't get a pic because I was driving, but I was coming from Rocketts towards town tonight and the southeast corner had two rows of lights at that edge all the way down. It looks really good IMo and I swear I haven't seen it before.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brent114 said:

I think it’s just the Christmas lights (I hope it’s temporary).   It doesn’t look like proper, long term lighting (wavy like the strand hasn’t relaxed).   

I was hopeful that the corners were being bathed in light (it’s the perfect building for that, 400 uninterrupted feet of surface area).   This looks good, and would look great if they did the long term $50k investment in more durable lighting. 

83A0F088-DF79-400E-9E43-2C6A7617DB40.jpeg

6AE7A982-9A05-4A91-AB61-184B62EE4161.jpeg

Thanks for taking and posting these, @Brent114-- good call. I was wondering last night if maybe Truist was trying to get an early jump on the holiday season lighting. That totally makes sense.

Do you guys remember when  BofA put the prison lights up on the east side of the building?  It’s the only time I’ve ever seen anyone try to illuminate a building from the top down.  

Those interior corners on the Truist building would look awesome lit.  

Richmond really needs to step up its night game.  Old City Hall had better be lit after this renovation.  The GA definitely needs to the lit (lighted?) too. Right after  it was converted to apartments, the old CNB had the top illuminated and it looked great, but one by one the builds burned out. Now nothing.   I recently watched a video of a car driving around Charlotte at night.  Not much there makes me jealous but the way they light that city up at night is pretty amazing.  More of that here please. 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 4

Since it’s leaf season and I’ve been working on them for 2 days now, I thought I’d mention that you can mulch the leaves instead of bagging them or taking them to the curb. I’ve been working on ours for 2 days and we still have leaves on the trees but making some good progress. I use our lawn mower and bagger and in some areas, just chop them and leave them and the bagged ones we keep in a big pile for reuse. It’s a good winter mulch over the soil and eventually becomes soil. All my times in the woods hiking I’m impressed by how good Mother Nature creates such good soil. Those leaves are never removed and it’s rich soil, our soil will never look that good but it helps, give it a try. It’s dusty and can be messy but it’s worth it and I like how they look and feel good about keeping them for another purpose vs ditching them then going to buy mulch to replace it.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/25/1131114849/leaves-fall-autumn-compost-mulch-grass-lawn-nutrients

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I will be in Richmond Friday and Saturday for the Richmond Marathon. This year, I’m running the Half. Can’t wait to spend some time downtown and seeing all the changes along the running route. If all goes well, weather should be great!  I’ll see if I can take some photos while I’m there. Really looking forward to this!

Have a great race.

Edited by Shakman
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

I will be in Richmond Friday and Saturday for the Richmond Marathon. This year, I’m running the Half. Can’t wait to spend some time downtown and seeing all the changes along the running route. If all goes well, weather should be great!  I’ll see if I can take some photos while I’m there. Really looking forward to this!

May you have a successful race, brother! Stay safe, be well, and finish strong!

• Thanks 1