Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

16 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Just wanted to share an interesting  observation….

Early this morning (3:40 am) I noticed that a full crew was working on the new building across from the  Caravati’s  site in Manchester.  My living room was extra bright when I got up to urinate, so I looked out the blinds to see why.   They were pumping concrete.  I’m familiar with the practice of pouring concrete in the middle of the night when the daytime temperatures are going to be too high for it to set properly.  I’ve never seen round-the-clock work on an apartment development in Richmond before.  I take it as a sign of how strong the market is at the moment (are there not enough pump trucks? Not enough concrete finishers to do this during normal hours?).   Work continues to happen on Saturdays and some Sundays around Manchester too. 

I wonder if that's how Pinecrest/Parc View rose so quickly? (24-hour work). I agree, @Brent114-- a very good sign of RVA's market strength, particularly if this is a new phenomenon in Richmond.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I wonder if that's how Pinecrest/Parc View rose so quickly? (24-hour work). I agree, @Brent114-- a very good sign of RVA's market strength, particularly if this is a new phenomenon in Richmond.

Post-tension concrete structures usually rise quickly.

Edited by Shakman
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 12:58 PM, I miss RVA said:

As someone who was on the jobsite from the beginning to the third floor. That place has more contractors than you could ever imagine. The guys doing the concrete were good and there were a ton during the summer up to even now I’m sure. They had Massey concrete pouring and had a hopper that fed it up the building and you then had the tower crane pour a lot of it too but they always had guys ready to go to smooth it out and get all of the air bubbles out. Always someone on stand by  pouring it even with the forms they are using to pour the elevator shaft. Those guys were rolling. I just hope all of our non metallic electrical tubing isn’t cracked or smashed to pieces under the concrete. In all honesty I hated that job it got to be a pain in the rear end electrical wise. Same with shockoe hill that job should we did at shockoe hill apartments should have been done long ago, I was at the job forever. My last job in Richmond I was at a day until they moved me from it. They had me at the warehouse on Ruffin mill road Lego is using I guess to store stuff until the factory is completed . Now I’m in Charlottesville probably until I leave Richmond for good. I’m honestly cool with it. It’s a 50 min drive from where I am in the west end right off 64 but I don’t mind it. It’s a straight shot for me. We have only a handful of electrical jobs in Richmond at the moment. One being pinecrest and then memorial regional hospital expansion and then the Lego warehouse. Possibly John Randolph medical center in hopewell too but I’m not sure that job is supposed to be done by now I’ve heard. Two in Charlottesville in my division one at uva and one in downtown Charlottesville at the intersection of garrett street and second street. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This looks like a great event to attend...just too bad it costs $67! :blink:  Posting this anyway in case someone want to go:

https://richmondbizsense.com/events/the-future-of-the-riverfront/

Would love to know what's in the works and the status of developments we already know about.

Wowzers!! This looks awesome!! This must be their annual shindig - and a great topic for discussion. Recall several years ago they focused the annual event on the future of Manchester - and a couple of the CRE execs who led discussion referred to Manchester as "Richmond's version of Brooklyn" given its proximity across the river to/from downtown. :tw_thumbsup:

While I agree - $67 is some coin to pony up to attend, I do believe these events are recorded in their entirety (at least the speeches and the discussions) - and RBS makes those available for a much more nominal price of (I THINK) something like $22 or $25. Might be worth coughing up the price of a week's worth of Happy Meals to watch the recorded event. 

Nice lineup they have scheduled for this year - some real heavyweights. Have they done one yet on either City Center or Diamond District? Lots of big names in the city planning and economic development offices who could lead such a meeting. Perhaps that would be on their calendar for 2024.

@RVABizSenseMike- do you have any input on who gets scheduled and what the topics are for these annual get-togethers? If so - it might be worth putting the bug into the organizers' ear that getting the city planners and the chief of the economic development office on the dance card to speak/discuss the Diamond District and City Center would be a primo event for the 2024 meeting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

@RVABizSenseMike- do you have any input on who gets scheduled and what the topics are for these annual get-togethers? If so - it might be worth putting the bug into the organizers' ear that getting the city planners and the chief of the economic development office on the dance card to speak/discuss the Diamond District and City Center would be a primo event for the 2024 meeting. 

I am not involved in the organization of our events, but I know the powers-at-be are always keeping their ears up for ideas. We held a "Future Of Arthur Ashe Boulevard" back in 2019 (turns out we were a few years early). Here's the recap, and the full video of it. As the Diamond District moves along I wouldn't be surprised if it's something we revisit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RVABizSenseMike said:

I am not involved in the organization of our events, but I know the powers-at-be are always keeping their ears up for ideas. We held a "Future Of Arthur Ashe Boulevard" back in 2019 (turns out we were a few years early). Here's the recap, and the full video of it. As the Diamond District moves along I wouldn't be surprised if it's something we revisit. 

Good to know. Thanks so much, Mike!

A thought: perhaps you could pass along to the powers-that-be the idea of maybe a combo featuring the Diamond District and City Center - and trying to book Maritza Pechin and Leonard Sledge as speakers. :tw_thumbsup::tw_smile:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not in Richmond area  but many in VA will be interested.  Last court challenge of the new Currituck Sound toll bridge has been defeated.  Hopefully this new bridge will start soon to connect to Corolla just north of Duck eliminating the need to drive to Kitty Hawk and crawl up NC 12.   This is needed for many reasons the most important evacuation purposes from the Currituck County beaches of Corolla and even those in northern Dare County of Duck. 

https://www.outerbanksvoice.com/2023/02/23/fourth-circuit-court-affirms-earlier-ruling-in-favor-of-mid-currituck-bridge-project/

Going to OBX was a game changer when the expressways went in and this should be similar. Corolla and Duck will see more traffic, that will be good for their bottom line though growth on this stretch is difficult. Wonder how these areas will be impacted and how that will be handled when they’re feeling pressure to grow. Did work at the Sanderling, in the way back machine, would have been nice to have the bridge then, was always late to meetings and nearly got fired once because we were late, bridge could have saved that headache.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hike said:

Going to OBX was a game changer when the expressways went in and this should be similar. Corolla and Duck will see more traffic, that will be good for their bottom line though growth on this stretch is difficult. Wonder how these areas will be impacted and how that will be handled when they’re feeling pressure to grow. Did work at the Sanderling, in the way back machine, would have been nice to have the bridge then, was always late to meetings and nearly got fired once because we were late, bridge could have saved that headache.

True but south of the fenced off free roaming area is mostly developed only a few vacant lots left.  (the paved road areas)  In the off road area north of Corolla is where they are no roads maybe the problem but NC has no plans to build a paved road there.  In fact Corolla Wild Horse fund is buying lots up there to prevent development.

https://www.corollawildhorses.com/

we here in NC do want to make it easy for you Virginians to get to our beautiful beach towns like Duck and Corolla.  But the main reason is hurricane evacuation routes need to be improved.  The traffic is heavy even in the winter when I usually visit the northern Outer Banks.    https://www.visitcurrituck.com/corolla-vacation/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

True but south of the fenced off free roaming area is mostly developed only a few vacant lots left.  (the paved road areas)  In the off road area north of Corolla is where they are no roads maybe the problem but NC has no plans to build a paved road there.  In fact Corolla Wild Horse fund is buying lots up there to prevent development.

https://www.corollawildhorses.com/

we here in NC do want to make it easy for you Virginians to get to our beautiful beach towns like Duck and Corolla.  But the main reason is hurricane evacuation routes need to be improved.  The traffic is heavy even in the winter when I usually visit the northern Outer Banks.    https://www.visitcurrituck.com/corolla-vacation/

Agree on not making it easy for non residents in these areas, no public access anywhere. I think there was a lawsuit filed in Duck complaining about no public beach access.  In-laws owned ocean front in Duck until about 5 years ago, rented through Twiddy, we went in March with them some for getting the season ready, loved it that time of year, was sad when they sold it. 

Edited by Hike
  • Like 2

On 2/23/2023 at 8:20 PM, KJHburg said:

Not in Richmond area  but many in VA will be interested.  Last court challenge of the new Currituck Sound toll bridge has been defeated.  Hopefully this new bridge will start soon to connect to Corolla just north of Duck eliminating the need to drive to Kitty Hawk and crawl up NC 12.   This is needed for many reasons the most important evacuation purposes from the Currituck County beaches of Corolla and even those in northern Dare County of Duck. 

https://www.outerbanksvoice.com/2023/02/23/fourth-circuit-court-affirms-earlier-ruling-in-favor-of-mid-currituck-bridge-project/

My father in law owns a beach house in nags head on old Oregon inlet road.  We go down  all times of year. We love going down around Christmas time. Still plenty of places to go eat. We love going to lone cedars. Also we go to blue moon grill alot which is one of my favorites for lunch. 

• Like 4