Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

21 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I regret to inform everyone that there has been an incident with a port-a-potty on Brown's Isle. This is very much NSFW and viewer discretion is advised... We are all truly sorry for this loss today:

We are losing traditional American family values in this country if you ask me!

port1.webp

NIMBY's destroying progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

You do realize that says March 22nd not March 2nd? 

Aw man! Sorry for that - I didn’t see this as 22 March…my bad folks - I’m heavily medicated right now due to some surgery I had on Tuesday.  Just not thinking straight. Thanks for pointing that out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

I’m really wanting to see this one get started. However, based on a recent article in RBS, it doesn’t sound like it will get started anytime soon though.  It’s been in the drawing board for a very long time - I’m just ready to see more life on the canal…this project will only help:

3E354C1A-7D12-48C4-8F81-35E80B7FF1A1.jpeg

This one is farther east from the site of the Locks 7 & 8 buildings, yes?

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

This one is farther east from the site of the Locks 7 & 8 buildings, yes?

Thought this was right there just west of where Mayo Bridge lands on the north banks of the river (where the Lady Hat Factory is located).  I could be wrong though. The rendering shows that it’s not too far from the Riverfront Plaza twin towers. 

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

Thought this was right there just west of where Mayo Bridge lands on the north banks of the river (where the Lady Hat Factory is located).  I could be wrong though. The rendering shows that it’s not too far from the Riverfront Plaza twin towers. 

Also the project I'm most eager to begin.... 

5 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Hotel along canal has been scrapped for a couple years
That will be the site of Locks 7 or 8 project.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up, @whw53👍

Definitely want to see both of those buildings get underway soon -- but Tom Papa's plate is SUPER full right now with up to three projects either getting underway, about to get underway or in the pipeline in Manchester (including South Falls II and the Box II) - AND - I think at least two buildings planned for the burgeoning Grace Street corridor in Monroe Ward.

This man is one busy guy, lemme tell ya!

• Like 1

MORE VERY GOOD NATIONAL PUBLICITY AND INCREASED NAME RECOGNITION IS ON THE WAY FOR RICHMOND!!!!

The makers of Monopoly are working on a new edition featuring RICHMOND are are looking for suggestions of iconic Richmond things to place on the board. Multiple sources are reporting this FANTASTIC and IMPORTANT NEWS! According to NBC 12's reporting, the company selected Richmond as the next city to be featured because of the pride of the people who live here. There are only 22 spaces on the board that are open to be filled with Richmond icons.

Love this quote from John Marano - a sales exec with the manufacturer:

“Richmond is home to so many historic landmarks, beautiful outdoor recreation spaces, world-class museums and top-ranked restaurants, so we knew the city would be the perfect location and are excited to invite the community to be a part of the process,” 

Another important fact - and why this is a HUGE deal: Axios Richmond points out the following:

"Why it matters: This is the real-deal, brand-name version of the game — an honor Hasbro has bestowed on only a handful of cities and not to be confused with Richmond-Opoly, one of hundreds of unofficial city-opoly games out there."

Any and all suggestions should be emailed to: [email protected] no later than March 20.

The new Richmond edition of Monopoly is expected to debut this fall.

From NBC12:

https://www.nbc12.com/2023/03/09/new-edition-monopoly-feature-richmond/

From TV8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/new-monopoly-edition-to-feature-richmond-board-game-makers-want-your-suggestions/

From WTVR 6 News:

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/richmond-monopoly-march-9-2023

From Axios Richmond:

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2023/03/09/richmond-monopoly-game

From the RVA/Reddit page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/rva/comments/11n2mpz/monopoly_making_rva_themed_version_wants/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Video from today's announcement in the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/monopoly-is-getting-a-new-richmond-edition/video_076b5dcb-ded4-5c95-84ee-ff31f7635959.html

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Do any of you know if there exists a live (moving) view of the webcam below?  This one only seems to post a  picture every several minutes or so.  I think I've seen a live shot on TV, but does that live view exist online anywhere?  Here's a link to what I have, but would LOVE a moving live shot:

https://www.wtvr.com/weather/skytracker-cams

Airport Cam.png

• Like 2

Data shows more moving from D.C. area to Richmond region

Key Details: 

The volume of northern Virginians coming to the Richmond area has increased since the mid-2000s when the average yearly migration was about 7,500 new people. In 2021, the most recent year for point to point migration data, about 12,500 northern Virginia residents moved to the Richmond area. That number is about 62% higher than the 7,719 transplants in 2019, just before the pandemic.

“It’s generally families looking for bigger homes, and with higher wages, they can generally afford it too,” Lombard said. “They can take $500,000 and get a much nicer house and quality of life. Really that trend is happening around the country, but in the Richmond area, I think we would be seeing a lot more migration if the housing supply wasn’t so tight.”

While Richmond’s overall population has grown, most of Virginia’s cities have lost population since the 2020 census. Per the Weldon Cooper report, Virginia’s population grew 185,000 between 2010 and 2012. But, since 2020, it’s only grown 52,000. Much of that was led by out-migration from northern Virginia for other states, though many stayed in the state for places like Richmond.

BUMMER Detail:
Lombard notes that the biggest destinations for expats from Fairfax County were actually North Carolina suburbs – Wake County outside of Raleigh and Mecklenburg County, which includes Charlotte.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

BUMMER Detail:
Lombard notes that the biggest destinations for expats from Fairfax County were actually North Carolina suburbs – Wake County outside of Raleigh and Mecklenburg County, which includes Charlotte.

Nice article and overall, good news for the Richmond area, but curses to NC and our competitor cities!  First they steal our banks, now they're after our people!  :P

Edited by eandslee

17 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Ah - so one of the TV6 sky cams DOES show a live shot (and not just static stills taken every "x" number of seconds or minutes. And we thought TV8 was the only live-action sky cam to watch.

What TV8 live cam are you watching?  Link?  I’ve only been watching WTVR 6 web cams (they don’t move though).

22 minutes ago, eandslee said:

What TV8 live cam are you watching?  Link?  I’ve only been watching WTVR 6 web cams (they don’t move though).

It's the original one we had. Remember all the lavender trees downtown because their night filter was not set correctly?

Took some digging to find it - I have it bookmarked on my desktop gaming rig - but that's at my brother's house at the moment (he's keeping hold of it for me while I get settled) - and I'm on a new laptop.

Here we go. And NOTICE - TV8 has fixed the angle so we get a GOOD look at the CoStar construction site once more! YAYYYYY!!!

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Screenshot (7).png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

It's the original one we had. Remember all the lavender trees downtown because their night filter was not set correctly?

Took some digging to find it - I have it bookmarked on my desktop gaming rig - but that's at my brother's house at the moment (he's keeping hold of it for me while I get settled) - and I'm on a new laptop.

Here we go. And NOTICE - TV8 has fixed the angle so we get a GOOD look at the CoStar construction site once more! YAYYYYY!!!

https://www.wric.com/weather/live-snow-sleet-freezing-rain-in-downtown-richmond/

Screenshot (7).png

Ah yes!  This one. Sometimes it doesn’t show the downtown area, which is a pain. Wish I had more control over what I see. Thanks for this. Now to find the live one for the airport…:dontknow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Ah yes!  This one. Sometimes it doesn’t show the downtown area, which is a pain. Wish I had more control over what I see. Thanks for this. Now to find the live one for the airport…:dontknow:

VERY glad they repositioned the Virginia War Memorial camera back to where the CoStar site is centered. Much as I love the view of the cam in Rockett's, this is the one we're gonna wanna watch with the CoStar tower under construction.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

VERY glad they repositioned the Virginia War Memorial camera back to where the CoStar site is centered. Much as I love the view of the cam in Rockett's, this is the one we're gonna wanna watch with the CoStar tower under construction.

LOVE this vantage point of the CoStar construction. We're gonna be in the catbird's seat for the next two years.

Screenshot (8).png

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Vcu is A-10 champs in men’s basketball onto March madness. Let’s go vcu!!! Let’s go!!!

This team is scrappy, really love their fight.  It looked bad when Dayton went up 11 early in the second, VCU said no. They then went on to outwork them from that point and won it going away. A10 championship stays in RVA, last year spiders, this year the Rams, now go make some noise!

• Like 1