Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

yea there are usually a few guests viewing the forum when I'm on....I wish they would contribute.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed - as long as they are upbeat or, at least, reasonable in their critiques. But if those long-winded cutters and pasters blogging their agendas arrive, I'm outta here.

I think that UrbanPlanet is probably less tolerant about that crap than Ryan (no offense to him though, hes done a lot)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just so that we don't attract a bunch of goobers over here from RCW, I'm kinda glad that I could not get my signature to work. I kinda like the intimate atmosphere we have here anyway.

I doubt this will be of interest to anyone but me, but any news of this kind saddens me.

The Charlotte Repertory Theatre, according to Equity News, has closed as a result of a massive debt and failure to receive financial support from patrons, corporations and civic leaders.

Charlotte Rep was the equivalent of Theatre Virginia in Richmond and Virginia Stage in Norfolk.

Edited by burt

There's a topic on Skyscraper city about City Skyline Jokes. Well, I couldn't resist (though it has little to do with skylines). Years ago when a friend and I were visiting the newly opened mall at Main Street Station, I was chatting with a rather dignified gentleman selling I don't-know-what from one of the kiosks. When I mentioned that I lived in New York, he said, "Oh, well you know, Richmond is a hotbed of social rest."

That comment has cheered up many a cocktail party up here! :lol:

AMF Bowling Worldwide Inc., based in the Richmond area, is merging its bowling-products business with Qubica Worldwide, an italian-based bowling equipment manufacturer. The combined company will have global headquarters in the Richmond area (Mechanicsville) with a european headquarters in Bologna, Italy. New jobs are expected in Richmond, though the article said probably dozens and not hundreds.

AMF Bolwing Merger

I hope, eventually, the AMF/Qubica merger will create many more jobs than the "dozens" hinted at.

Is the new company in the Fortune 1000 category? If so, that will add to Richmond's Headquarters list.

I also hope the recent merger of UPS and the big Richmond-based trucking company (Dominion?) brings jobs. :)

somehow my statement about Wilder's salary got tangled up at the bottom of the above post. :o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: That was me wielding my mod powers without knowing what the hell i'm doing. I think i meant to quote but hit edit accidentally.. I'll fix it.

I think Mayor Wilder's base salary (even after he declined the $25K raise) is $125,000.  I may be wrong, but I believe the City Administrator, Harrell, makes more than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, It's still a lot of money to be sure. That being said, most politicians can't resist a pay increase, so i'm still impressed.

I just got from home from a wonderful Friday Cheers at Tredegar...there were thousands of people there. It was a beautiful Richmond night with fun, friendly Richmonders (I'm sure the alcohol didn't hurt :)). No comments were taken out of context, and two-way conversation was quite welcome.

I love being a part of this historic city, full of life and soul. Almost 400 years of moments have brought the city to today. I love the pace of life here, not too fast not too slow. I love the size of the city: it feels like a big city yet still feels like a small town as well. Most of all, I love the people: they are friendly and for the most part, I think Richmond has kept much of its southern charm. There are a few southern cities that I think have lost it. And no I'm not talking about confederate flags and country music, I'm talking about the way people treat one another. With respect and politeness. I love that there is more to Richmond than tall glassy buildings downtown built in the CBD in the 70's and 80's. I could spend days looking at the architectural stock of the Fan Neighborhood alone: Greek Revival, Federal, Victorian, and on and on and on. Tonight at Tredegar, the river was just feet away, history was all around, the skyline was standing tall, zydeco was playing loud as coal trains passed, and it was a fantastic Virginia night.

Just my Richmond off-topic spiel for the night

Edited by wrldcoupe4

I just got from home from a wonderful Friday Cheers at Tredegar...there were thousands of people there. It was a beautiful Richmond night with fun, friendly Richmonders (I'm sure the alcohol didn't hurt :)). No comments were taken out of context, and two-way conversation was quite welcome.

I love being a part of this historic city, full of life and soul. Almost 400 years of moments have brought the city to today. I love the pace of life here, not too fast not too slow. I love the size of the city: it feels like a big city yet still feels like a small town as well. Most of all, I love the people: they are friendly and for the most part, I think Richmond has kept much of its southern charm. There are a few southern cities that I think have lost it. And no I'm not talking about confederate flags and country music, I'm talking about the way people treat one another. With respect and politeness. I love that there is more to Richmond than tall glassy buildings downtown built in the CBD in the 70's and 80's. I could spend days looking at the architectural stock of the Fan Neighborhood alone: Greek Revival, Federal, Victorian, and on and on and on. Tonight at Tredegar, the river was just feet away, history was all around, the skyline was standing tall, zydeco was playing loud as coal trains passed, and it was a fantastic Virginia night.

Just my Richmond off-topic spiel for the night

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And a very welcome spiel, indeed! :)

I'm afraid, Coupe, that we've lost one to HR. Mike D who used to visit here with some frequency now contributes often to the HR threads. I guess those Atlantic breezes in Boston Harbor are in his blood and he seeks out same in warmer climes! (I'm joking, Mike, of course, and you are welcome to browse here anytime you choose without committing to relocation.) :)

But we miss you.

Ryan Ramsey has another set of spectacular photos up on Richmond City Watch. His June gallery is, as usual, superb and exciting.

There are several shots of the new Phillip Morris Research site downtown where foundation work is underway.

I and others have made notes under most of the pictures identifying locations and expressing comments. Take a look. It's a treat. :)

I'm afraid, Coupe, that we've lost one to HR.  Mike D who used to visit here with some frequency now contributes often to the HR threads.  I guess those Atlantic breezes in Boston Harbor are in his blood and he seeks out same in warmer climes!  (I'm joking, Mike, of course, and you are welcome to browse here anytime you choose without committing to relocation.)  :)

But we miss you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I think an area with 7 cities will undoubtedly have more development news in the pipeline than Richmond. There are also more people over there to carry on discussions about stuff. That being said, I hope anyone joins in frequenting the richmond section. There are so many projects going on in the area that what we have mentioned here is simply scraping the surface.

I also checked out Ryans new pics. I had never seen Gilpin Court before. Never really wanted to venture on that side of town. However, they were fantastic pics of the city and I enjoyed the commentary. I think the blank-sided building that irks you is actually a fortress built in case the yankees decide to come back to town :) I can't wait until we can begin to see pics of Vistas rising toward the sky!

I also checked out Ryans new pics. I had never seen Gilpin Court before. Never really wanted to venture on that side of town. However, they were fantastic pics of the city and I enjoyed the commentary. I think the blank-sided building that irks you is actually a fortress built in case the yankees decide to come back to town :) I can't wait until we can begin to see pics of Vistas rising toward the sky!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You better believe that the blank sided building will be this Yankee's first target!!! :lol: