Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Well I think an area with 7 cities will undoubtedly have more development news in the pipeline than Richmond. There are also more people over there to carry on discussions about stuff. That being said, I hope anyone joins in frequenting the richmond section. There are so many projects going on in the area that what we have mentioned here is simply scraping the surface.

I guess my post on RCW warning people not to join UrbanPlanet.org isn't helping our case here with the need for more traffic. Sorry, I was pretty pissed off then. I feel pretty bad about it now. Maybe I should try to get Ryan to remove the thread... :unsure:

I guess my post on RCW warning people not to join UrbanPlanet.org isn't helping our case here with the need for more traffic.  Sorry, I was pretty pissed off then.  I feel pretty bad about it now.  Maybe I should try to get Ryan to remove the thread... :unsure:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, if Ryan accepts that it might be a good idea. :thumbsup:

also, they are expecting over 60,000 fans to pour into RIR this weekend for the IRL race at RIR on Saturday (Suntrust 250). Just like in Nascar, Richmond ranks among the top ovals in the circuit and a favorite among drivers. In fact, for many teams, it ranks only behind Indianapolis motor speedway.

Burt, the fortress building thing that we all love so very much is used by Verizon. It is actually a very old building, though I'm hoping the blank wall was a  later addition. It was built in 1929.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I can live with the yellowish brick windowed structure; in fact I really like the corner building with the interesting tiered roofline. It was originally constructed to house the local telephone company in a time when rows of girls sat at hugh switchboards saying "numbah, please?". The less interesting section was erected I'm guessing late 40s, early 50s. But that other thing (which contains only electrical equipment) - well, you know how I feel about THAT!! Makes you wonder, since most of Verizon is now located in the high rise at 6th and Main, if all that old telephone equipment is still necessary.

At least on one International listing, Richmond is considered to have Evidence of World City Formation. Don't laugh, it's true. Go to Urbanplanet Home page, look in that forever moving list of subjects, hit Tiers of US Cities. Then go to an entry by Ironchapman dated May 30 that was on page 28 when I looked and visit the site link he provides. I think the page number changes with the frequency of hits, but it is Ironchapman's entry dated May 30. I will add that on that list, neither HR nor Charlotte appears, however they do on other lists. Happy hunting! :)

Edited by burt

What exactly does evidence of world city formation mean?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you go the site I mentioned? That makes clear what it means - that there is some hope in the future that this tier of cities will acheive World Class status. At least, that's how I interpreted it. :)

I havent had time to snake through the directions to the forum but I will :). I want to see what types of cities Richmond ranks up there with. This is definitely the type of list a city would want to be on.

I agree about MArtin Agency. The clients they hook are amazing. Could Richmond become the Madison Ave. of the south one day?

Arguably, Martin almost makes Richmond the Madison Avenue of the south. Atlanta, of course, beats it out, and Raleigh is pretty big but not in Richmond's league. I can't think of any other southern city that ranks up there - unless you consider the Texas metropolises.

Well guys, I'm off to the mountains of Tennessee for a week (near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge). We are staying in these incredible cabins... if you want to check them out here: Sugar Maple Cabins

After that I'm off to the outer banks (Avon) for a week, so take care of this place for me while I'm gone. I probably won't have access to a computer for the next two weeks so I expect this thing to be loaded with new posts. A new thread about a proposed 50+ story tower in Richmond wouldn't hurt :D When I come back I'll be sure to take some photos of downtown. Take Care!!

Well guys, I'm off to the mountains of Tennessee for a week (near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge). We are staying in these incredible cabins... if you want to check them out here: Sugar Maple Cabins

After that I'm off to the outer banks (Avon) for a week, so take care of this place for me while I'm gone. I probably won't have access to a computer for the next two weeks so I expect this thing to be loaded with new posts. A new thread about a proposed 50+ story tower in Richmond wouldn't hurt  :D When I come back I'll be sure to take some photos of downtown. Take Care!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't think of anyone who is more deserving of nice holidays in the mountains and at the seashore. Have a wonderful time, Coupe. We'll try to fill in for you while you're away.

:)

I havent had time to snake through the directions to the forum but I will :). I want to see what types of cities Richmond ranks up there with. This is definitely the type of list a city would want to be on.

I agree about MArtin Agency. The clients they hook are amazing. Could Richmond become the Madison Ave. of the south one day?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In case you never got to the World Cities site to which I referred above, here's the list of cities in which Richmond figures:

Adelaide, Antwerp, Arhus, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bologna, Brassilia, Calgary, Cape Town, Columbo, Columbus, Dresden, Edinburg, Genoa, Glasgow, Gothenberg, Guangzhou, Hanoi, Kansas City, Leeds, Lille, Marseilles, Richmond, St. Petersburg, Tashkent, Tehran, Tijuana, Turin, Utrecht, and Wellington.

Not bad company!!!

I'm posting this on June 25th at 2:01PM.

More activity in Manchester: The old Mechanics and Merchants bank building at 12th and Hull has been purchased by a transplant from Savannah. She is totally redoing the building and when work is completed around October, she'll have an apartment upstairs and will convert the ground floor into "The Bankuet Place" available for meetings, weddings and other social functions.

Across the street at 1128 Hull street, another woman is converting the former Bank of Commerce branch into residential space for herself.

Source for these items is today's Real Estate section of the Richmond Times Dispatch.

Posted at 11:12AM (daylight savings time) Sunday, June 26 '05.

Edited by burt

Richmond.com reports today that Richmond will be XXterra's biggest stop on it tour this coming weekend, combined, if I understand it correctly, with James River Adventurer Games. Activities, involving 2500 participants will extend along the river from Robious Landing upstream, through the mostly turbid whitewaters to Browns Island, thence into the tidal, navigable stretch all the way downstream to Osborne Landing. :lol: Sounds like great fun.

HOLLYWOOD WILL BE BACK IN RICHMOND FOR AN EXTENDED STAY - or so goes the actors' scuttlebutt.

A new series starring Geena Davis as America's first female president has been picked up by ABC for next fall and most episodes will be filmed in Richmond.

Edited by burt

I believe my girlfriends cousin is in charge of constructing and designing these props in hanover burt :)

The Xterra news is also great to here. Not only does it draw attention to the James, but to the entire Richmond region as a whole. Also, good news about more gentrification in Manchester...I'm back for about 2 days then its off to the beach for me :)

I believe my girlfriends cousin is in charge of constructing and designing these props in hanover burt :)

The Xterra news is also great to here. Not only does it draw attention to the James, but to the entire Richmond region as a whole. Also, good news about more gentrification in Manchester...I'm back for about 2 days then its off to the beach for me :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to have you back again...even if it's just a couple days! :thumbsup: