Branson and Northwest Ark

NancyinBranson

I hope I'm not intruding, I've just joined this sight. I was reading your information and comments on Branson and you stated that the Missouri sites only seem to pay attention to KC and St. Louis. I agree,

Southwest Missouri and Northwest Arkansas are the "driving forces" for this tremendous growth the mid-west is experiencing. I have considerable knowledge about Branson Landing and can tell you that my feelings are that Branson and Northwest Arkansas are in for the biggest growth we have ever seen. All the smaller towns in-between are going to start seeing an influx of people moving here from the coasts (all of them). Branson Landing is almost completely sold out, and the company is now building a 1000acre development with a 18 hole golf course which is a tribute to Payne Stewart. Branson has now become a 12 month community. The rest of the country is sure paying a huge amount of attention to us. I have been all over the US in the past few months and I can assure you that we are now being taken serioulsy.

Nancy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, both areas are growing very fast. You should check out the "most interesting rumor" thread....it talks about the possibility of a Disney World Theme Park, possibly in NW AR, SW MO, or the Branson area. Maybe you've heard rumors yourself.

I've been to Branson. My parents loved it :-)

I've heard rumors about the Walt Disney Park going in Branson, McDonald County MO, and inbetween Siloam Springs and Springdale. Not sure if any of it's true, but if that is built, expect to see an even greater economic impact on the whole region.

Welcome to Urban Planet NancyinBranson!!!

We are sure glad to have a SW Missouri Poster who is interested in the entire region. Please feel free to post on any topic.

Yeah welcome to the forum NancyinBranson :D . I'm sure we wouldn't mind hearing more about what's going on in Branson here. For a little while we had a little bit on Louisiana before there was a forum. I think everyone knows both Branson and NWA have a lot of growth and developments going on. Feel free to join in and keep us up to date with what's going on in your neck of the woods.

Yeah welcome to the forum NancyinBranson :D . I'm sure we wouldn't mind hearing more about what's going on in Branson here. For a little while we had a little bit on Louisiana before there was a forum. I think everyone knows both Branson and NWA have a lot of growth and developments going on. Feel free to join in and keep us up to date with what's going on in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for making me welcome!! I have to go quickly and will be working a convention for the next 3 days but I'll tell you more about Branson Hills and post information as I get it. We are very lucky to have the development and growth happening in our MO & Ark. areas, and the only sad part is is that most people don't realize what is happening in their own back doors. It's now our turn for the "Grass to be Green" on our side of the fence.

It's been good to read everyone's imput and questions.

Nancy

If Disney ever were to build another park, I think San Antonio would be the ideal place. Warm weather all year, decent-sized but not massive airport, and it is already a respectable tourist destination. Plus, it's close to major population centers of DFW and Houston.

I do admit San Antonio is a great location and Disney hasn't really built much this far north. I wonder if they would consider building anything very far north. But I would also consider this area as a nice location too. I suppose the winter could cause more problems up here than say a location like San Antonio. But I also think maybe you could get a different 'feel' by building something in this region. It's been a while but I have heard about a Christmas Village being built somewhere south of Eureka Springs. I wonder if Disney would consider trying to do something themed a little like that also to entice people in colder times of the year as well.

If Disney ever were to build another park, I think San Antonio would be the ideal place. Warm weather all year, decent-sized but not massive airport, and it is already a respectable tourist destination. Plus, it's close to major population centers of DFW and Houston.

At themeparksonline.com forum someone brought up something up about texas being a better location....but one of the problems is that it would "divert" tourists away from the East and West. Plus it's pretty far south, so the midwest would still be very far away.

At themeparksonline.com forum someone brought up something up about texas being a better location....but one of the problems is that it would "divert" tourists away from the East and West. Plus it's pretty far south, so the midwest would still be very far away.

Yeah I could see some advantages to being closer to the geographical center of the lower 48.

I already knew about NWA's massive growth but, it's good to hear about Branson getting in on the action too! I would like to hear more about Branson. Also does anyone know if Joplin is booming as well?

Yeah I think Branson started taking off in the 80's. Maybe late 80's I'm not sure but arounf the same time there was a downturn for Eureka Springs. I do remember hearing about that. I'm pretty sure Joplin is doing rather well too. I know Joplin was bringing in retail and restaurants that NWA didn't have in the late 80's and early 90's. I think it's mainly overshadowed because of northwest Arkansas. I guess it doesn't have all of NWA's advantages. It's just one city and it doesn't have the major companies that we have here in NWA. If Joplin was just a little bit more south I could see it becoming part of the metro in the future. But it's a bit too far north I think for it to happen.

I have nothing against San Antonio as I think it's a beautiful city.

The reason Northwest Arkansas/Southwest Missouri is the most ideal area for a Disney Theme Park:

• Four Seasons with mild Summers and Winters

• Airport with non-stop flights to over 15 major cities

• Eureka Springs and Branson are already respectable tourist destinations

• Driving distance under 6 hours to several major cities, including Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Shreveport, Kansas City, Memphis, St. Louis and Dallas

So did they mention NW Arkansas though?

If so, that's great because that means we are getting free media coverage as I will call it. :D

I think NWA would make a good location for a Disney Park because of the Proximity of the hopeful I-49, it's pretty much in the center of the Continental US, has 4 distinctive seasons, especially the winter in which case Disney could focus on Christmas. Still, San Antonio or Dallas would make a better location due to population, and the warmer weather.

I can see it now, the Wal-Mart Smiley and Mickey Mouse parading down Main Street together at the Disney Park with a 5&Dime at the Corners!! :rofl::rofl:

I have nothing against San Antonio as I think it's a beautiful city.

The reason Northwest Arkansas/Southwest Missouri is the most ideal area for a Disney Theme Park:

• Four Seasons with mild Summers and Winters

• Airport with non-stop flights to over 15 major cities

• Eureka Springs and Branson are already respectable tourist destinations

• Driving distance under 6 hours to several major cities, including Little Rock, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Shreveport, Kansas City, Memphis, St. Louis and Dallas

I understand what you're saying but all of those things are even more true of San Antonio except for the four seasons issue, which is a big negative. Theme parks don't make money when it's cold, especially when there's snow and ice.

SA has a much larger airport. XNA would have to increase its size ten-fold to handle that kind of traffic.

SA is the most popular tourist destination in Texas, dwarfing those two towns. It already has two theme parks: Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta. It also has the string of early 1700s missions that are interesting and worthwhile to visit.

Again, proximity to DFW, Houston, Austin, OKC, and New Orleans would be a big draw for SA.

If you're going to go with a colder weather site, I would think that moving up to Virginia or Maryland would be better - it has a similar climate and is more accessible to the NE US, most of whom have to fly to Florida now or take a very long drive.

I'm not knocking NWA/SWMO but building a major theme park there wouldn't make much sense.

I understand what you're saying but all of those things are even more true of San Antonio except for the four seasons issue, which is a big negative. Theme parks don't make money when it's cold, especially when there's snow and ice.

SA has a much larger airport. XNA would have to increase its size ten-fold to handle that kind of traffic.

SA is the most popular tourist destination in Texas, dwarfing those two towns. It already has two theme parks: Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta. It also has the string of early 1700s missions that are interesting and worthwhile to visit.

Again, proximity to DFW, Houston, Austin, OKC, and New Orleans would be a big draw for SA.

If you're going to go with a colder weather site, I would think that moving up to Virginia or Maryland would be better - it has a similar climate and is more accessible to the NE US, most of whom have to fly to Florida now or take a very long drive.

I'm not knocking NWA/SWMO but building a major theme park there wouldn't make much sense.

You're missing the most important point... NWA is in the middle of everything. SA is too far South to justify building there. The only reason Disney would build another Theme Park is so it would draw more crowds that would not otherwise fly to California or Florida.

As for having four seasons being a negative I disagree... most Theme Parks do the most of their business during Spring and Summer Breaks when kids are out of school. Our winters don't get that cold here... it's in the upper 50's today in the middle of January... but we don't have sweltering Summers like in San Antonio which is the biggest negative IMHO.

The bad thing about winter here is that it's rather unpredictable. I'm not sure how well a more traditional type amusement park would do in the winter. I think they'd have to have something else going on like a side project maybe something like the Christmas Village that's been proposed south of Eureka Springs.

The bad thing about winter here is that it's rather unpredictable. I'm not sure how well a more traditional type amusement park would do in the winter. I think they'd have to have something else going on like a side project maybe something like the Christmas Village that's been proposed south of Eureka Springs.

I haven't heard much info on the Christmas Village project, I'm not even sure if it's still going to go through.

I agree with you on upredictable weather Mith. Yesterday it was snowing and now it's in the mid 50's. It's very unstable here.

Thanks for the link. I think we had one somewhere on here but I have no idea where it was. At first I wondered if they had updated anything since I was last there. But I noticed something mentioning the 2006 New Year so I guess they're still around. Nice to see they haven't faded into oblivion.

Even with unpredictable Winter this area is still ideal for the busiest months of Spring and Summer whereas we don't have extreme Summer heat like Texas or really anywhere south of here.

Even with unpredictable Winter this area is still ideal for the busiest months of Spring and Summer whereas we don't have extreme Summer heat like Texas or really anywhere south of here.

Yeah summers might be a bit nicer since it doesn't usually get quite as hot as other places even in the rest of the Arkansas up here.

It's a great location.

I'm not sure our airport would be able to hand the increased tourist industry. But it can always be upgraded, it just takes time. I'm not sure that's a big factor in a theme park though.

I've never seen a Disney Park with snow though, so that would be very interesting.

It's a great location.

I'm not sure our airport would be able to hand the increased tourist industry. But it can always be upgraded, it just takes time. I'm not sure that's a big factor in a theme park though.

I've never seen a Disney Park with snow though, so that would be very interesting.

I guess my thinking was if they even end up building something here who's to say it will be just the usual type amusement park. Maybe they might do something a little different. Maybe a little more focus on other things aside from rides and such.

Archived