Park Plaza Mall

On 7/23/2017 at 1:17 AM, ecity3138 said:

Gymboree will be closing stores in Park Plaza, MCCain Mall, and th Outlets of Little Rock. There are listed on the retailer's website page.

Apparently they are leaving their Pinnacle Hills Promenade store in Rogers, surprisingly.  

But let's be clear, this is part of a larger trend in brick-and-mortar retail, which is being battered by online.  This has been a freight train coming for 15 years.

Listed in the building permits in yesterday's paper was one for 6000 W. Markham, Building A. That address is Park Plaza. Do we think it's the mall itself or is "Building A" one of the Dillard's buildings? They could certainly use an update. It was for more than a million dollars. 

On 7/24/2017 at 11:09 AM, Architect said:

Apparently they are leaving their Pinnacle Hills Promenade store in Rogers, surprisingly.  

But let's be clear, this is part of a larger trend in brick-and-mortar retail, which is being battered by online.  This has been a freight train coming for 15 years.

I thought they were closing g the Store in the Fayetteville mall and keeping the Pinnacle Hills one.

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since the last new occupant at Park Plaza popped up in building permits, but one surfaced earlier this month, on March 7.  Shoe Show's Shoe Dept. Encore format is slated to take at least the east half of Abercrombie & Fitch's former space (suite 2090, which had previously housed A&F's ladies' department when the space was joined with suite 2080).

• 11 months later...

So I moved from LR a couple of years ago and was wondering how this mall's occupancy rate is? I know H&M took a big chunk of space? Is it pretty much full? I like seeing a mid-city shopping center do well instead of everything heading to the suburbs. But I don't like seeing the Promenade do poorly, either.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, adman0468 said:

So I moved from LR a couple of years ago and was wondering how this mall's occupancy rate is? I know H&M took a big chunk of space? Is it pretty much full? I like seeing a mid-city shopping center do well instead of everything heading to the suburbs. But I don't like seeing the Promenade do poorly, either.

Seems to be holding its own...I hand't been in there for a LONG time until recently, and it was quite busy and seemed relatively full, certainly by 21st central indoor mall standards.  I, too, like to see mid-town locations prosper.   Little Rock (and Central Arkansas) certainly benefit from a healthy city core.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2019 at 1:31 PM, SangreRaVen said:

They need to add another food option to the bottom level though. There are only a few offered and two of them are closed on Sundays :P

-R

I agree. There’s very limited food options at the mall right now. I hope they open at lease one decent full service restaurant in the mall for mall patrons to eat.

• 1 month later...

Wow... that is a shame,  gives one less food option in the mall now :( wonder if it was not making enough money.. Hopefully the one in WLR does not close, though I do not go there very often, sometimes I get in the mood for their tasty baked potato salad. 

-R 

Wow... that is a shame,  gives one less food option in the mall now [emoji20] wonder if it was not making enough money.. Hopefully the one in WLR does not close, though I do not go there very often, sometimes I get in the mood for their tasty baked potato salad. 

-R 

Admittedly, I only went there once. But frankly, it was an odd location. It wasn’t open to the inside of the mall itself. Rather, it opened only to the parking lot, which has almost no street presence or visibility from Markham. I imagine it would have performed MUCH better at Park Avenue across the street. All of those restaurants seem to be doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no idea there was a Zoe's Kitchen in Park Plaza.   I've only been to the one in WLR once but never ate there.  They didn't have gyros.  What kind of Mediterranean/Greek place doesn't have gyros?  So I went for the usual at Taziki's. 

Was there a Taziki's in Park Plaza?  Zoe's seems to follow Taziki's.

Edited by Arkanzin

1 hour ago, Arkanzin said:

I had no idea there was a Zoe's Kitchen in Park Plaza.   I've only been to the one in WLR once but never ate there.  They didn't have gyros.  What kind of Mediterranean/Greek place doesn't have gyros?  So I went for the usual at Taziki's. 

Was there a Taziki's in Park Plaza?  Zoe's seems to follow Taziki's.

No Taziki's in Park Plaza, Zoe's had been over there for a while now. The food is not bad, that is a little odd they do not have Gyros but they do have Pita's among other things.  There are only 3 in the state so hopefully the one in WLR does not go anywhere. 

-R

The Cookie place next to Chick Fil A and David's has closed.

-R

Nooooo!!!! Seriously? That’s strange. It always seemed busy.

Where am I going to get our cookie cakes? It wasn’t too long ago that there were TWO of these in Park Plaza...a kiosk on the upper level.

Are there any other locations in Central Arkansas?

p.s. There shows to be TWO locations in Conway?

• 6 months later...
What? Seriously!? How could there be no Gap, etc. in central Arkansas? Could they be moving to the Promenade?

What about Banana Republic?

Well, I had to swing by the mall for something and confirmed that Banana Republic is also closing...ugh. My favorite store. I guess this isn’t surprising given that it’s the same company/chain as Gap. Apparently New York & Co and Express are also closing. Short of Dillard’s, I no longer have any compelling reason to go to Park Plaza.

These key tenant closings are not a good sign for Park Plaza and brick/mortar retail in general. I mean, there’s nothing special/expensive about Gap, and they can’t even keep a store open in a top 75 market!? Sheesh...the retail apocalypse is real folks.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:39 PM, schwilj said:

It looks like Gap, Gap baby and Gap Fir are closing.

they posted store closing 30-50% off signs 

Gap announced earlier this year that it would close 230 stores by 2020. It seems that these will be focused on their mall based stores not their outlet stores.

The retail landscape is changing quickly because of online shopping. Malls are going to have to adapt with more entertainment, restaurant or office tenants or die.

Losing Gap, Banana Republic, Express and New York and Company is going to be a big blow to Park Plaza. I wonder if they have any potential tenants interested in any of that space?