Park Plaza Mall

I am not overly familiar with Georgiou. How upscale is it and is the whole chain having problems or is Park Plaza simply underperforming?

If you speak to Mall Management, Park Plaza is doing great. If you are an independent store I can assure you, that it is not. Try walking through the mall on most weekdays and/or evenings and check out the crowds. They are practically non-existent. I am not sure why things have changed, other than the fact that there are outdoor shopping centers springing up all over. As a retail store owner, it is pretty much impossible to exist unless you have very deep pockets. The really desperate part is that they are adament about not letting anyone out of a lease under any circumstances. I could write a book, but will spare you kind folks who are reading this

If you speak to Mall Management, Park Plaza is doing great. If you are an independent store I can assure you, that it is not. Try walking through the mall on most weekdays and/or evenings and check out the crowds. They are practically non-existent. I am not sure why things have changed, other than the fact that there are outdoor shopping centers springing up all over. As a retail store owner, it is pretty much impossible to exist unless you have very deep pockets. The really desperate part is that they are adament about not letting anyone out of a lease under any circumstances. I could write a book, but will spare you kind folks who are reading this

I went to Park Plaza tonight and there was plenty of people there. It wasn't packed, but wasn't deserted either. I haven't been on a friday night or saturday which traditionally are the busiest times for malls. In 2006 the mall did nearly $500 per square feet in sales. I am sure it did less in 2007 but how much worse I am not sure. Do you own a store in Park Plaza?

You speak as if you have inside knowledge, but I can't imagine that even if some stores aren't doing so well, that it would be universal. My wife was in there on a week day in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY and couldn't believe how packed it was...even commenting that it seemed busier than before Christmas. It seems fairly busy to me as well. Again, you may certainly know more of the particulars, but I would be very surprised about any fundamental traffic or sales problems - certainly after a multi-million dollar makeover that would do nothing but boost the impression and viability of the center. The evident decline of McCain Mall can only HELP Park Plaza, and certainly Midtown across the street is a plus as well. Feel free to elaborate....

You speak as if you have inside knowledge, but I can't imagine that even if some stores aren't doing so well, that it would be universal. My wife was in there on a week day in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY and couldn't believe how packed it was...even commenting that it seemed busier than before Christmas. It seems fairly busy to me as well. Again, you may certainly know more of the particulars, but I would be very surprised about any fundamental traffic or sales problems - certainly after a multi-million dollar makeover that would do nothing but boost the impression and viability of the center. The evident decline of McCain Mall can only HELP Park Plaza, and certainly Midtown across the street is a plus as well. Feel free to elaborate....

Heck, even McCain Mall was packed last time I went there. To the contrary, I was supsied how few crowds there were at Pinnacle Hills Promenade in Rogers last time I was up there.

I drive by Park Plaza daily. There is constant traffic in and out. I've also been in Park Plaza in the last few weeks. My wife and mother have also been there on different occasions recently. Our experience has been comparable to Architect's wife.

I drive by Park Plaza daily. There is constant traffic in and out. I've also been in Park Plaza in the last few weeks. My wife and mother have also been there on different occasions recently. Our experience has been comparable to Architect's wife.

Might be a good idea for those of you who "drive by Park Plaza daily" and those of you who have been there on "different occasions recently", to talk to some of the folks who have businesses there and are in the mall from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm daily. It makes a difference if you are involved in business there or just an occasional shopper. It is very possible that some of the larger major stores may do $500.00 per s.f., but I can speak with certainty that one independent certainly does not. Does anyone know what CBL rental fees are?

Might be a good idea for those of you who "drive by Park Plaza daily" and those of you who have been there on "different occasions recently", to talk to some of the folks who have businesses there and are in the mall from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm daily. It makes a difference if you are involved in business there or just an occasional shopper. It is very possible that some of the larger major stores may do $500.00 per s.f., but I can speak with certainty that one independent certainly does not. Does anyone know what CBL rental fees are?

It sounds to me like you have a particular store in mind. That I can understand because all malls have stores that perform worse than the average. Just because there may be some underperforming stores in the mall doesn't mean the mall itself is doing bad. The $500 per square foot is an average. Some stores do much more than that and others do much less.

Folks on this board like nothing more than hearing input from people who have firsthand information about the topics we're all interested in. I can't tell if you own, manage or work for this independent or you are a friend or relative of such a person. I'm sorry this business is under performing.

I worked at Take A Hike over a period of 10+ years in Little Rock. Take A Hike ultimately went under after 25 years in business. There were several factors which contributed to its demise. One of these was opening a store in the River Market before there was enough foot traffic there. It was an expensive and risky endeavor that did not play out like everyone thought when we went into it.

When it comes to foot traffic, Park Plaza Mall has more than enough of it for most of the retailers located there to thrive. It is the responsibility of the retailer to build and nurture their customer base with products and services. I cannot accept that because one, two or three retailers aren't doing well there signifies there isn't enough traffic at Park Plaza, or that CBL is somehow responsible because there leases are too high. If that is the case then, shame on the leasee for signing it. If there is really a legal issue, then there is a local court system that nailed Simon Properties to the wall.

If Mr Wicks, Ozark Outdoor Supply, or Trademarks were located in Park Plaza mall, I would expect their business strategy to have to change. I would not be surprised if all three failed to be successful in Park Plaza.

Please continue to share your experience, as I will to.

Edited by turboturtle

If Mr Wicks, Ozark Outdoor Supply, or Trademarks were located in Park Plaza mall, I would expect their business strategy to have to change. I would not be surprised if all three failed to be successful in Park Plaza.

Is Trademarks still around at all? Since the original owner sold it, it seems like it has moved at least twice, not sure where it is now.

Folks on this board like nothing more than hearing input from people who have firsthand information about the topics we're all interested in. I can't tell if you own, manage or work for this independent or you are a friend or relative of such a person. I'm sorry this business is under performing.

I worked at Take A Hike over a period of 10+ years in Little Rock. Take A Hike ultimately went under after 25 years in business. There were several factors which contributed to its demise. One of these was opening a store in the River Market before there was enough foot traffic there. It was an expensive and risky endeavor that did not play out like everyone thought when we went into it.

When it comes to foot traffic, Park Plaza Mall has more than enough of it for most of the retailers located there to thrive. It is the responsibility of the retailer to build and nurture their customer base with products and services. I cannot accept that because one, two or three retailers aren't doing well there signifies there isn't enough traffic at Park Plaza, or that CBL is somehow responsible because there leases are too high. If that is the case then, shame on the leasee for signing it. If there is really a legal issue, then there is a local court system that nailed Simon Properties to the wall.

To add some (informal) perspective, I went to the mall this afternoon to do some birthday shopping for my wife. Totally packed. I couldn't find a place to park...there was basically a traffic jamb trying to enter the parking deck. I finally found one of a few spaces on the very top (half) level. I don't know, but it seemed even busier that I would have imagined for a late January Saturday - not exactly the hotbed shopping season I wouldn't imagine.

Park Plaza's website has a poll on it asking what type of restaurant you would like to see there (Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse, Italian, etc). I wonder if that means they are looking to add one. Anybody with any information?

I don't have information, but it is reasonable to assume CBL is looking to add a restaurant. I went to Park Plaza's website and voted for a steakhouse. Currently, Mexican cuisine has the most votes, followed by a steakhouse. I figured the area lost Bennigan's which had a long history. Also, there is a Senor Tequila, Casa Manana and Brownings (gag) in fairly close proximity. There is also an option to vote for "Other", but it does not give the voter the ability to specify the cuisine. If it did, I would have to go with Thai.

While perusing Park Plaza's website, I came across this cool link to CBL's Little Rock demographic profile:

http://www.parkplazamall.com/shop/parkplaz...pdf?OpenElement

The interesting thing is that it has their projections on market size/growth, etc...lots of interesting information. Check out the maps of population density and income levels.

FYI, their prediction for MSA 2011 (not sure why 2010 wasn't given) is 690,000. Here's to hoping the MSA hits 700,000 plus by 2010.

While perusing Park Plaza's website, I came across this cool link to CBL's Little Rock demographic profile:

http://www.parkplazamall.com/shop/parkplaz...pdf?OpenElement

The interesting thing is that it has their projections on market size/growth, etc...lots of interesting information. Check out the maps of population density and income levels.

FYI, their prediction for MSA 2011 (not sure why 2010 wasn't given) is 690,000. Here's to hoping the MSA hits 700,000 plus by 2010.

Very cool info! I don't know if we'll hit that 700k mark by 2010 but with LM Glassfiber and the jobs places like FalconJet need to add we've got one heck of a shot. The great thing is that a good number of these jobs should be mid to upper income so that will help to raise up those stats as well.

XXI is very upscale and is a nice addition to the mall. Game arcades are history in malls. Malls that still have them are generally malls in decline. In this age of XBOX and PC games, old fashioned arcades attract in a demographic not wanted in an upscale mall.

I have never been to a Rainforest Cafe. Whats so great about it? From the website, it looks like something for children.

Not really. It's like a "Jungle" version of "Casa Bonita" - God rest her soul.

XXI is very upscale and is a nice addition to the mall. Game arcades are history in malls. Malls that still have them are generally malls in decline. In this age of XBOX and PC games, old fashioned arcades attract in a demographic not wanted in an upscale mall.

I have never been to a Rainforest Cafe. Whats so great about it? From the website, it looks like something for children.

It basically is, and it's more common in tourist locations. The food is average.