Park Plaza Mall

Hollister did indeed take a big chunk of the old Luby's space. The two white boxes from what's left are now complete, with one of them now tenanted: a 3-D game shop, next to Auntie Anne's. That now leaves a move-in ready spot by the parking deck access, complete with a row of windows.

Elsewhere, the old BB&B space also remains vacant, ongoing for nearly a year now. Either space would seem like a key location within the mall.

Brookstone is also back for another seasonal venture, this time in the form of a large kiosk. I wonder if that might be a candidate to fill a remaining storefront. Surely, someone handling leasing for the mall has tried for them before.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

• 8 months later...

I don't think it had been noted on here, but Forbidden City's lease was not renewed. The mall said they had a tenant lined up to take the space and I noticed yesterday that the sign says "Gearhead Outfitters Coming Fall 2011". From their website, I can see that they are based in Jonesboro and have two stores there. They sell athletic shoes and outdoor wear, Patagonia, North Face, etc. but no sporting goods. Will be interesting to see how it performs there.

I don't think it had been noted on here, but Forbidden City's lease was not renewed. The mall said they had a tenant lined up to take the space and I noticed yesterday that the sign says "Gearhead Outfitters Coming Fall 2011". From their website, I can see that they are based in Jonesboro and have two stores there. They sell athletic shoes and outdoor wear, Patagonia, North Face, etc. but no sporting goods. Will be interesting to see how it performs there.

Forbidden City was an original tenant. Wow...they've been there since the late '80's. Somehow this doesn't surprise me though with the latest competition for asian food (namely Pei Wei across the street, not to mention P.F. Changs).

Forbidden City was an original tenant. Wow...they've been there since the late '80's. Somehow this doesn't surprise me though with the latest competition for asian food (namely Pei Wei across the street, not to mention P.F. Changs).

They were an original tenant. They had done no remodeling since the mall was reopened in the 80s. In fact, they were the only tenant that still had the mirrored sign with the backlit logo above the entrance. That was the standard for PP when it reopened, but each store got rid of it as they remodeled or when new stores opened.

According to state plumbing permits, Bare Escentuals is going into Park Plaza, suite 2120. On the mall's website, there is no suite 2120, but the old jewelry store is 2130. Could be a typo or they're taking just part of the space. If they take the whole thing, I think that would make the mall 100% full. Is that right? If so, it would be pretty darn impressive, especially with the added competition in the market and the current economic environment.

• 2 weeks later...

They were an original tenant. They had done no remodeling since the mall was reopened in the 80s. In fact, they were the only tenant that still had the mirrored sign with the backlit logo above the entrance. That was the standard for PP when it reopened, but each store got rid of it as they remodeled or when new stores opened.

Didn't know how far back Forbidden City went. It's always fun for me to find out about histories of local businesses. Forbidden City's future, though, is way out west. I've heard at my office that the restaurant is moving or has moved to a location on Highway 10.

Didn't know how far back Forbidden City went. It's always fun for me to find out about histories of local businesses. Forbidden City's future, though, is way out west. I've heard at my office that the restaurant is moving or has moved to a location on Highway 10.

That's good to know they aren't closing their business.

• 1 month later...

New plumbing permit issued for Park Plaza address.

Gearhead/Seattle Grind, 1034 Park Plaza Mall #1034 PD#11-1351

Seattle Grind is a coffee shop that has two locations in Jonesboro. http://www.seattlegrind.com/home

Gearhead is Gearhead Outfitters which is described as "Gearhead Outfitters offers an extensive selection of quality branded outdoor gear, sportswear, and is focused on a high level of customer service. Gearhead Outfitter’s merchandise includes men and women’s apparel and outerwear from brands such as The North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, Arc’ Teryx, and more. They also offer running and hiking footwear for the entire family by Merrell, Chaco, Keen, Mizuno, The North Face, Asics, and many more." http://gearheadoutfitters.com/

Gearhead is also out of Jonesboro which makes sense.

Park Plaza website lists the location for Gearhead as "Food Court, 1034" I think this is the old Forbidden China (or whatever it's name was) location.

New plumbing permit issued for Park Plaza address. Gearhead/Seattle Grind, 1034 Park Plaza Mall #1034 PD#11-1351 Seattle Grind is a coffee shop that has two locations in Jonesboro. http://www.seattlegrind.com/home Gearhead is Gearhead Outfitters which is described as "Gearhead Outfitters offers an extensive selection of quality branded outdoor gear, sportswear, and is focused on a high level of customer service. Gearhead Outfitter’s merchandise includes men and women’s apparel and outerwear from brands such as The North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, Arc’ Teryx, and more. They also offer running and hiking footwear for the entire family by Merrell, Chaco, Keen, Mizuno, The North Face, Asics, and many more." http://gearheadoutfitters.com/ Gearhead is also out of Jonesboro which makes sense. Park Plaza website lists the location for Gearhead as "Food Court, 1034" I think this is the old Forbidden China (or whatever it's name was) location.

It is. They have signs up in the paper-ed over windows that Gearhead Outfitters is coming soon and there's been quite a bit of construction work going on. I didn't know they were going to have a coffee shop too, but maybe that will help them tie in with the food court in some way. At any rate I think there's definitely room for them to succeed in Park Plaza carrying those brands.

• 2 months later...

I noticed where Bailey Banks & Biddle has returned to their old space in Park Plaza. Apparently the company, that declared bankruptcy two years ago has re-emerged and is re-opening old locations. As far as I can tell, that makes Park Plaza 100% leased. That is a damn impressive feat, considering the increased competition of Midtowne, Park Avenue, Pleasant Ridge and the Promenade. I'm sure after the holidays, one or two places may leave, but for a mall that old to be full is worth noting.

• 1 year later...

Moe's Southwest Grille opening a place at Park Plaza?

Seems an odd location.  

http://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/eng/planreview/PLUMB/85900.htm

Odd, though if it can get set up fairly quickly, it can claim some business that the forthcoming Chipotle at Markham and University hopes to court.

• 4 months later...

Wandered the mall yesterday for the first time since Christmas. Usually, this is the time when retailers are most likely to leave. All I saw was that Nine West had closed and Indigo (which moved to the Promenade). The Crown Shop's old location is still empty. Zale's is remodeling, so they have moved into a temporary space where Luby's used to be, so that will be empty again in a few months.

In the food court, Quizno's and Back Yard Burger have been replaced by Moe's and David's Burgers, so the food court is full.

Overall, still pretty impressive for a mall facing as much competition as they are.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Looks like the Victoria's Secret brand Pink will be opening their own store in Park Plaza, based on plumbing permits and the Park Plaza website.

I stopped by there. Victoria's Secret is closed and under construction, too. Looks like Pink will be right above it. Surprised they didn't take over the Coldwater Creek space instead.

The Coach store has closed.

• Like 1

I wonder if stores like Apple, J. Crew and Anthropologie regret not going to Park Plaza now.  It is more upscale than what the Promenade is shaping up to be.

The Coach store has closed at Park Plaza, so it has lost a little piece of its upscaleness. Not that the Promenade's is growing.

I stopped by there. Victoria's Secret is closed and under construction, too. Looks like Pink will be right above it. Surprised they didn't take over the Coldwater Creek space instead.

The Coach store has closed.

Ouch.  The Coach store closed?  For the record, it is still listed on Coach's national website (the only dedicated store in the state).

Coach closed 70 stores across the US.  They are trying to take the brand more upscale.  The closest one to Little Rock now is at Saddle Creek Mall in the Memphis area. It does hurt Park Plaza's "upscaleness"

Per the reports, they closed the stores because the company is in poor shape financially (and yes, the strategy is to retrench and go back to basics...high end).  I couldn't find a list online of the stores that were closed, but when I called the LR Coach number, they answered in Memphis.  I don't think the store had been open that long, had it?  Maybe just a few years?

p.s.  I was surprised to see that Shreveport has (or had?) a store as well...unsure if it closed.  It still lists Little Rock on their company website.

Per the reports, they closed the stores because the company is in poor shape financially (and yes, the strategy is to retrench and go back to basics...high end).  I couldn't find a list online of the stores that were closed, but when I called the LR Coach number, they answered in Memphis.  I don't think the store had been open that long, had it?  Maybe just a few years?

p.s.  I was surprised to see that Shreveport has (or had?) a store as well...unsure if it closed.  It still lists Little Rock on their company website.

I couldn't find a list of closed stores either when I looked online. The store had been opened several years and thought it was doing well but apparently I was wrong.

Maybe this is an indication that a Coach Factory Store is headed for the outlet mall at Bass Pro Shops.  I'd wager that it comes down to not just the overall revenue generated by the Park Plaza store for Coach, but what items tended to sell most frequently.  If items with bigger profit margins lagged a bit by company standards, the volume of sales from a combination of a company-owned discounter and authorized retailers like Dillard's and Belk might be more appealing to Coach.

While I do like outlet malls, and they have their place - I'm not particularly in favor of this development in the central Arkansas market because I can only see it HURTING the mainline retail stores in the area...so to that extent, I hope the offerings in the outlet mall are from retailers not currently represented in the Little Rock metro.

• 4 months later...