Park Plaza Mall

Thats what I thought. There are MANY restaurants LR needs before it needs a Rainforest Cafe. How about a Cuban/Carribbean restaurant? Lebanese?

I guess there was a different thread for this but I agree that we desperately need Cuban/Caribbean and Mediteranean as options. There's a little Middle Eastern place that opened up off of Rodney Parham near Reservoir but options are limited. As far as ethnic restaurants, though, there is no Thai restaurant in LR. It's a travesty. There must be 20 sushi places now but no Thai. Where's the logic in that?

I doubt we see these as mall tenants, though. BTW, Forbidden China is solid, especially for lunch.

I see chains fitting better in these types of spaces.

Number one on my list is a Cheesecake Factory and while it would work in Park Plaza, I don't see there being enough space. I hope we see it across the street in Park Ave.

PF Chang's would've worked there. I don't think we have the pull to land a McCormick and Schmick's or Maggiano's.

I remember when they used to have a Ruby Tuesday's there, well before it became a generic small city, dry county place. Ironically it's where the mall employees went to drink when they got off work.

I guess there was a different thread for this but I agree that we desperately need Cuban/Caribbean and Mediteranean as options. There's a little Middle Eastern place that opened up off of Rodney Parham near Reservoir but options are limited. As far as ethnic restaurants, though, there is no Thai restaurant in LR. It's a travesty. There must be 20 sushi places now but no Thai. Where's the logic in that?

I doubt we see these as mall tenants, though. BTW, Forbidden China is solid, especially for lunch.

Hear hear on the Middle Eastern, Mediteranean, and Cuban options. I'd love a Middle Eastern place that went beyond hummous and gyros. The closest we have is that counter in the Rivermarket Pavillion.

Your mention of Cuban food almost makes me miss my stint in Atlanta. OK, so not really. Cuban food didn't compensate for the many drawbacks of Atlanta.

I remember when they used to have a Ruby Tuesday's there, well before it became a generic small city, dry county place. Ironically it's where the mall employees went to drink when they got off work.

Bennigan's employees would go drink there too.

I see chains fitting better in these types of spaces.

Number one on my list is a Cheesecake Factory and while it would work in Park Plaza, I don't see there being enough space. I hope we see it across the street in Park Ave.

PF Chang's would've worked there. I don't think we have the pull to land a McCormick and Schmick's or Maggiano's.

I hope we see Cheesecake Factory soon. Maggiano's or McCormick and Schmick's? It would be nice to land one of those but like you said, LR doesn't have the pull. What about a Bahama Breeze? Its a carribbean chain and there is one in Memphis and in OKC.

If I had my pick of chain Italian I would take Carrabbas or Bucco De Peppa.

Another chain I would like to see in LR is J Alexanders. It would fit nicely at Park Plaza or Park Avenue.

Definately vote NO for Rainforest Cafe. Very cheesy and touristy. I could think of a hundred national and regional chains I would take before I took Rainforest Cafe.

I am very glad to hear Panera is coming to LR. It is one of the best fast casual options out there. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I wouldn't mind LR getting Boston Market to add to the fast casual lineup.

Definately vote NO for Rainforest Cafe. Very cheesy and touristy. I could think of a hundred national and regional chains I would take before I took Rainforest Cafe.

I didn't say it was my favorite, but the question was what would be a good fit in the old Luby's space, not what is the best restaurant in the world. Park Plaza is as much a tourist destination as anything in Little Rock, and a "theme" restaurant like "Rainforest" would be a perfect fit for bringing in traffic and activity to Park Plaza.

I didn't say it was my favorite, but the question was what would be a good fit in the old Luby's space, not what is the best restaurant in the world. Park Plaza is as much a tourist destination as anything in Little Rock, and a "theme" restaurant like "Rainforest" would be a perfect fit for bringing in traffic and activity to Park Plaza.

I could easily see it becoming a regional attraction. They usually are. Would that space be big enough? The one I've been too seemed to take up a LOT of space for the number of tables.

I could easily see it becoming a regional attraction. They usually are. Would that space be big enough? The one I've been too seemed to take up a LOT of space for the number of tables.

I would prefer a Dave and Busters any day before a Rainforest cafe. That would be a regional draw beyond just a standard restaurant and I believe would have more staying power than Rainforest Cafe. Rainforest is generally in more touristy areas than Little Rock. The nearest ones I think are in Nashville, Dallas, and Kansas City. To me it seems like something that might work in Branson, due to the high volume of tourist traffic there.

I would prefer a Dave and Busters any day before a Rainforest cafe. That would be a regional draw beyond just a standard restaurant and I believe would have more staying power than Rainforest Cafe. Rainforest is generally in more touristy areas than Little Rock. The nearest ones I think are in Nashville, Dallas, and Kansas City. To me it seems like something that might work in Branson, due to the high volume of tourist traffic there.

Same here, I love Dave and Buster's. I think they'd have trouble cramming into the space, though.

As a matter of fact, if we are going to see one I bet we see it would be in one of the currently planned developments. #1 on my list would be Park Avenue, if they don't think parking will be a problem.

I had heard at one point it was like 90% that D&B was going in over by the Land Rover dealership and Rave, so they were looking at the market.

Same here, I love Dave and Buster's. I think they'd have trouble cramming into the space, though.

As a matter of fact, if we are going to see one I bet we see it would be in one of the currently planned developments. #1 on my list would be Park Avenue, if they don't think parking will be a problem.

I had heard at one point it was like 90% that D&B was going in over by the Land Rover dealership and Rave, so they were looking at the market.

That's a great idea guys. I agree - D&B would be better (and more probable) than Rainforest. However, like Apork - I think it would be better served at Park Avenue where drive up business would be more appropriate.

We all had our hopes up didn't we? As it turns out, it was a Playtime Pizza location. A dissapointing one-off of Chuck E Cheese.

Haven't heard anything of it lately, I wondering if it fell through.

We all had our hopes up didn't we? As it turns out, it was a Playtime Pizza location. A dissapointing one-off of Chuck E Cheese.

No, its on. I'm pretty sure I saw the plumbing permit application. Pretty twisted rumor, no? Confusing a "kid" playspace with an "adult" playspace!

Nope, my rumor came first. It fell through. I'm just hoping it fell through for something better. There are several planned developments that would be a better fit. We all want it to go in Park Ave but I wouldn't be shocked to see North Hills considered. It fits their profile.

Speaking of Dave and Buster's, my son and I went to Dallas last month when the Razorbacks played Baylor at the American Airlines Center. The game didn't start till 7:00, so we were looking to kill a little time on Sat afternoon. We stopped in at the original D&B's off Walnut Hill and Stemmons. It was in terrible condition. It was dirty, smelly and trashy. The air conditioning wasn't working and a number of the machines were out of order. The carpet was visibly worn and the whole place just had a vibe of shabbyness. Made me think they weren't going to stay for much longer in that location, which, to be fair has morphed a great deal for the worse since they opened it too.

Dissapointed in that visit to D&B's.

Georgiou is closing its Park Plaza store by January 30, and is selling all inventory and fixtures. The store went in shortly after the exit of Petite Sophisticate (along with Casual Corner across the street from the mall).

Also, Back Yard Burgers is now open in the food court, near but not next to Chick-Fil-A.

I walked by Georgiou tonight and there was Now Hiring signs in the window and I saw no evidence that they are closing. Maybe their ownership changed or something?

Speaking of Dave and Buster's, my son and I went to Dallas last month when the Razorbacks played Baylor at the American Airlines Center. The game didn't start till 7:00, so we were looking to kill a little time on Sat afternoon. We stopped in at the original D&B's off Walnut Hill and Stemmons. It was in terrible condition. It was dirty, smelly and trashy. The air conditioning wasn't working and a number of the machines were out of order. The carpet was visibly worn and the whole place just had a vibe of shabbyness. Made me think they weren't going to stay for much longer in that location, which, to be fair has morphed a great deal for the worse since they opened it too.

Dissapointed in that visit to D&B's.

I don't think that speaks as much about Dave & Busters as it does the part of town you were in.

Walnut Hill & Stemmons is the NW ghetto, barrio.

Edited by cocothief

I don't think that speaks as much about Dave & Busters as it does the part of town you were in.

Walnut Hill & Stemmons is the NW ghetto, barrio.

No, that's Walnut Hill and North Central. Across the freeway is North Dallas/Preston Hollow and east is Lake Highlands, a pretty nice area. It's just NE of the Park Cities. There are some apartments in that area (Vickery Meadow) that are pretty rough but that's a common theme with large apt complexes in Dallas. That D&B is across from Presbyterian, a classy upscale hospital used by the Highland Park crowd. I went in that D&B several times and always liked it, I never had issues with it except that it was packed.

No, that's Walnut Hill and North Central. Across the freeway is North Dallas/Preston Hollow and east is Lake Highlands, a pretty nice area. It's just NE of the Park Cities. There are some apartments in that area (Vickery Meadow) that are pretty rough but that's a common theme with large apt complexes in Dallas. That D&B is across from Presbyterian, a classy upscale hospital used by the Highland Park crowd. I went in that D&B several times and always liked it, I never had issues with it except that it was packed.

The "original" D&B's in Dallas is located in an office park about a block east of "Restaurant Row" at Stemmons (I-35E) and Walnut Hill. When it was originally developed, this was a hot spot for restaurants and entertainment. Old San Franciso Steak House, Trail Dust Steak House, Paul's Porterhouse, Chili's and others. There are a few restaurants left, but more topless clubs and buy-here/pay-here car lots now.

I knew the location had suffered, but I didn't expect the interior of the facility to be so run down too. Makes me think they aren't going to be there much longer.

Aporkalypse, I've been to the D&B off Central near Presbyterian and the newer one in the big Frisco mall too. We lived in Dallas for about 10 years, a long time ago and it's one of our favorite places to visit with our teenage kids. Still have a little family and lots of friends there.

The "original" D&B's in Dallas is located in an office park about a block east of "Restaurant Row" at Stemmons (I-35E) and Walnut Hill. When it was originally developed, this was a hot spot for restaurants and entertainment. Old San Franciso Steak House, Trail Dust Steak House, Paul's Porterhouse, Chili's and others. There are a few restaurants left, but more topless clubs and buy-here/pay-here car lots now.

I knew the location had suffered, but I didn't expect the interior of the facility to be so run down too. Makes me think they aren't going to be there much longer.

Aporkalypse, I've been to the D&B off Central near Presbyterian and the newer one in the big Frisco mall too. We lived in Dallas for about 10 years, a long time ago and it's one of our favorite places to visit with our teenage kids. Still have a little family and lots of friends there.

Damn, I always thought the one by Presby was the original. Never knew that. I know the area you are talking about now, there are quite a few restaurants out that way that I like but they are closer to NW Highway than Walnut Hill. The entire Pappas chain series is there (Pappadeaux, Pappacito's, Pappas Bros Steakhouse, some BBQ venture of theirs, Pappa's Pizza, etc). The area over by Old SF is rough.

I loved Dallas as well, Arkansas sure is a lot more beautiful though.

The entire Pappas chain series is there (Pappadeaux, Pappacito's, Pappas Bros Steakhouse, some BBQ venture of theirs, Pappa's Pizza, etc).

I've never been in one of their BBQ or pizza efforts, but the first three you mention are KILLER. Would love to see one or all of them in the LR area. Maybe if the Shoppes at North Hills ever gets built...

I've never been in one of their BBQ or pizza efforts, but the first three you mention are KILLER. Would love to see one or all of them in the LR area. Maybe if the Shoppes at North Hills ever gets built...

Clary Development (Shackleford) pushed hard to get a Pappadeaux's....but couldn't make it happen (they stated the market wasn't big enough - what that means is that they're not yet into markets of this size, but I imagine they will at some point). I was devastated to hear that since its my favorite restaurant....would LOVE to have one here.