Park Plaza Mall

Clary Development (Shackleford) pushed hard to get a Pappadeaux's....but couldn't make it happen (they stated the market wasn't big enough - what that means is that they're not yet into markets of this size, but I imagine they will at some point). I was devastated to hear that since its my favorite restaurant....would LOVE to have one here.

I am a huge fan of that place. There's one in Albequeque so maybe it will happen here. I think it's probably more about the quality of the location than anything else.

Besides, wouldn't Pappadeaux's and Copeland's in the same development be a little weird?

Clary Development (Shackleford) pushed hard to get a Pappadeaux's....but couldn't make it happen (they stated the market wasn't big enough - what that means is that they're not yet into markets of this size, but I imagine they will at some point). I was devastated to hear that since its my favorite restaurant....would LOVE to have one here.

Do you think it was more about the quality of the location i.e. the presence of Wal-Mart than it is the size of the market? Albuquerque has a larger city proper but their metro isn't too much larger than ours. Do you think a development like Park Avenue or North Hills might have better luck?

Edited by bchris02

• 7 months later...

Sephora coming to Park Plaza?

Saw that it's suite 3130. Can't remember what was there (Sunglass Hut, maybe?) but it's right next to the Coffee Beanery, which has closed. Based on the Arkansas Business article a couple of months ago about their slow sales, I'm not surprised. It's right next to another empty space, so they could serve to attract a larger tenant.

Also, I noticed that there's no 'for lease' sign on the old Luby's. Not sure if something permanent is going in there or if it will be something only for the holidays.

Romancing the Stone has moved, so their former place across from the old Luby's is available, too. Overall occupancy is pretty good - I think the entire ground floor is full and maybe all of the main level, too.

Edited by adman0468

• 3 months later...

It looks like Sephora is coming to park plaza. I think it will be a really good addition. I wounder what could go in at the old lubys? Park Plaza, knock on wood, seems to be doing really good right now. I hope it stays that way. It was packed at Christmas.

I agree...Park Plaza seems to be doing quite well.

Ironically, several issues ago in Arkansas Business in a retail sales article, the "journalist" made some passing comment inferring that Park Plaza was a troubled development. I almost fell out of my chair...it wasn't what the article was about, but it was stated as if this was a given fact. I have no stake in Park Plaza whatsoever, but I was livid...I intended to contact the editor.

Of course, the last time I contacted a journalist in the DemGaz about correcting a factual issue in an article, the journalist didn't even apologize, say thanks, or acknowledge that they were wrong. Their only reply was "well that's what I found with my sources." The article was about LR landing the NCAA Regional Basketball tournament, and specifically about the "Size" of the LR market as compared to other selected sites. Again, the article was ABOUT POPULATION and the journalist got the MSA population of LR wrong. By 300,000 people.

Sorry I went off topic!!! Just my rant...

The week of Christmas parking and traffic through the areas around the mall was a nightmare, which is an excellent sign for the mall. I have to say I still love the remodel, it looks virtually new inside and out. I just wish Dillard's would follow up with a remodel of their stores.

I have heard a rumor that Dillard's will soon declare bankruptcy and close many of its stores if not all of its stores. Macy's already is in line to buy up the Ft. Smith location in Central Mall and one in NWA. I wonder if the same will happen in Park Plaza? I hope so because if Dillard's closes the stores and just leaves them empty, it will have a disasterous effect on Park Plaza.

I have heard a rumor that Dillard's will soon declare bankruptcy and close many of its stores if not all of its stores. Macy's already is in line to buy up the Ft. Smith location in Central Mall and one in NWA. I wonder if the same will happen in Park Plaza? I hope so because if Dillard's closes the stores and just leaves them empty, it will have a disasterous effect on Park Plaza.

This would be a disaster to the economy of Little Rock! Macy's, if they did move in to Park Plaza, i would assume would only take one side of the mall. Who would then take the other side. Park Plaza could survive without Dillard's, but not for long. I hope this inst true. As much as i think Dillard's does need a complete revamp, i dont want them to shut doors. Lots of people would be without jobs in Little Rock.

I was in dillards this past weekend, and spent quite abit of money. The Little Rock store, being the 3rd largest in the chian, is in need of a dire remodel and revamp. The one in Rogers is so nice and modern.

I was in dillards this past weekend, and spent quite abit of money. The Little Rock store, being the 3rd largest in the chian, is in need of a dire remodel and revamp. The one in Rogers is so nice and modern.

The original plan was to build a new "flagship" store at Summit Mall and then when that fell through they wanted to go into the Promenade at Chenal. However, Dillards was only hanging by a thread when the economy was good. When it turned sour at the beginning of 2008, Dillard's went into survival mode.

If Dillard's files bankruptcy it will reorganize out of it and keep its stores open, it has assets it can sell off, starting with CDI.

Macy's (Federated Dept Stores) is in poor financial shape right now as well and won't be buying any stores anytime soon.

If Dillard's files bankruptcy it will reorganize out of it and keep its stores open, it has assets it can sell off, starting with CDI.

Macy's (Federated Dept Stores) is in poor financial shape right now as well and won't be buying any stores anytime soon.

I really hope your right, Although Macy's is in better shape than Dillards right now. I dont want to see Dillards fail. I would love to see it rise from the ashes, but if they cant get their act together, then god bye.

When it comes to Macy's, I only think that its a matter of time untill its in the Little Rock/North Little Rock area. If they are in Spingfield, MO. Then they can make it in Little Rock.

I really hope your right, Although Macy's is in better shape than Dillards right now. I dont want to see Dillards fail. I would love to see it rise from the ashes, but if they cant get their act together, then god bye.

When it comes to Macy's, I only think that its a matter of time untill its in the Little Rock/North Little Rock area. If they are in Spingfield, MO. Then they can make it in Little Rock.

Though Macy's is in bad shape and probably won't make any huge aquisitions, I wouldn't be surprised if they had interest in some Arkansas Dillard's stores. Arkansas is one of like three states without Macy's, and a big part of that (at least in the Little Rock area) has to do with the stronghold Dillard's has in this state. If Dillard's was to fail, there are no competitors in this state so it would be a very easy and sensible market for Macy's to pick up, even in these difficult times.

Though Macy's is in bad shape and probably won't make any huge aquisitions, I wouldn't be surprised if they had interest in some Arkansas Dillard's stores. Arkansas is one of like three states without Macy's, and a big part of that (at least in the Little Rock area) has to do with the stronghold Dillard's has in this state. If Dillard's was to fail, there are no competitors in this state so it would be a very easy and sensible market for Macy's to pick up, even in these difficult times.

That's what i think is going to happen. If Dillard's was to fail, and shut all its stores, Macy's would be very interested in some Arkansas stores. But i really want to see Macy's and Dillard's compete in Little Rock. This will make Dillard's up grade their store. But Dillard's will have to file for Ch. 11 before we see them shut any stores.

I'm not a huge fan of Dillard's (except the additional 50% off of clearance sale), but Macy's, in smaller markets (such as Little Rock), would be a significant downgrade. For example, Dillard's carries Hickey Freeman suits, Hugo Boss suits, etc... Macy's (I'm not talking a NYC or Chicago store) doesn't generally have the upper end clothing. Macy's may put Dillard's on their toes in refurbishment of stores, but not in merchandise. IMHO

I'm not a huge fan of Dillard's (except the additional 50% off of clearance sale), but Macy's, in smaller markets (such as Little Rock), would be a significant downgrade. For example, Dillard's carries Hickey Freeman suits, Hugo Boss suits, etc... Macy's (I'm not talking a NYC or Chicago store) doesn't generally have the upper end clothing. Macy's may put Dillard's on their toes in refurbishment of stores, but not in merchandise. IMHO

I've had my issues with Dillard's as well, but a recent trip to Memphis for me was very telling of the difference between it and Macy's. Of course, Macy's entered the Memphis market in the place of the 125-year-old Goldsmith's. While it's not bad and nice to have as a competitor to Dillard's, there was a bit of blandness to the store in its new incarnation

• 1 month later...

Giorgiou and Kirklands have closed.

According to plumbing permits, Coach has applied for one at Park Plaza. Based on the suite #, I think it's the old Giorgiou location. Considering they were once rumored to be going to the Promenade, this is a good sign for Park Plaza.

That's really good that coach has applied for a spot in park plaza. I Think this will help keep park plaza in good shape. Im sorry to see the other stores leave. I think it's good for a mall to have a mix, not just clothing stores. Would love to see the old lubys turned into something else.

I agree. While Kirklands is nothing special it did add a lot to the variety of the mall. For this reason I really think Apple would be best in Park Plaza. It would also be nice to have an entertainment retailer like FYE or Suncoast, and maybe another specialty snacking establishment i.e. Godiva or Cinnabon.

I agree. While Kirklands is nothing special it did add a lot to the variety of the mall. For this reason I really think Apple would be best in Park Plaza. It would also be nice to have an entertainment retailer like FYE or Suncoast, and maybe another specialty snacking establishment i.e. Godiva or Cinnabon.

Godiva was an original tenant when the "new" Park Plaza opened in 1988. I'm not sure about Cinnabon...there's one at Little Rock National (or there used to be).