Pine Bluff's MSA Status

bigboyz05

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To the 50,000 thing: no.

Hot Springs is a metro because the county has over 90,000 people....

I'm not sure about pine bluff's status.

50k for the core city used to be the rule because Pine Bluff annexed the prisons to keep its population over that mark and keep its MSA status or it would lose some federal funding.

I don't know when that changed but I guess it did.

50k for the core city used to be the rule because Pine Bluff annexed the prisons to keep its population over that mark and keep its MSA status or it would lose some federal funding.

I don't know when that changed but I guess it did.

I think the 50k mark has something to do with being a "first class city" and has to do with federal and or state turnback funds for local infrastructure.

The MSA categories have split and changed designations a lot in the past couple of years so I'm not sure exactly what constitutes having an MSA. It seems like it was a city of 50k or a two county area of 100k.

I know that in order for a city to be designated a metro area it has to have at least 50,000 right? So if that's the case then if Pine Bluff's population dips below 50,000 will it lose it's metro designation?

Let me complicate matters further. The Pine Bluff MSA now contiains three counties, including Jefferson, Cleveland, and Lincoln. If it were to join the Little Rock-North Little Rock MSA, would all of those counties be included, or just Jefferson?

Let me complicate matters further. The Pine Bluff MSA now contiains three counties, including Jefferson, Cleveland, and Lincoln. If it were to join the Little Rock-North Little Rock MSA, would all of those counties be included, or just Jefferson?

Interesting question. You'd think they all would if it were to join the Little Rock MSA. If you look at the way the MSA is up here in NWA. McDonald County in Missouri probably doesn't have a lot to do with Fayetteville or Washington County and vice versa with Madison County to Benton County. But both were added to the MSA not long ago. It would seem the same would apply in this possible situation even if Cleveland or Lincoln Counties didn't have much ties to Pulaski County.

I think the 50k mark has something to do with being a "first class city" and has to do with federal and or state turnback funds for local infrastructure.

I think you're right. Cities recieve additional funds from the Federal and State Turnback funds based off their populations. Cities can loose money once their population drops and election of the mayor is not aligned with the Presidential Election.

Interesting question. You'd think they all would if it were to join the Little Rock MSA. If you look at the way the MSA is up here in NWA. McDonald County in Missouri probably doesn't have a lot to do with Fayetteville or Washington County and vice versa with Madison County to Benton County. But both were added to the MSA not long ago. It would seem the same would apply in this possible situation even if Cleveland or Lincoln Counties didn't have much ties to Pulaski County.

Metropolitan Statistical Areas have been further consolidated into Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs) I believe two years ago. I think the PB area would be considered part of the LR/NLR CBSA but not the MSA.

Example I use: Dallas and Fort Worth are technically separate MSAs but they are considered to be the same CBSA.

The next largest organizational area is the DMA (designated market area) which is based solely on media coverage and used by Neilsen, and not as good an indicator of trade and market sharing of different cities. If you lived in Eureka Springs, you'd be considered to be in the Springfield, MO DMA, but in all likelihood you would spend little if any time and money in Springfield compared to NWA.

Some Googling will familiarize you with the different definitions. I have worked heavily with demographics of all kinds in the past five years, so I am a bit of a demographics geek. :blush:

Now I have a question. The two Texarkana's together equal about 70,000. On their own neither city has a population of 50,000. If the Texas side was to hit 50,000 would they automatically receive more funding or do they already receive that funding since the two cities together have more than 50,000? Not trying to confuse you guys.

Now I have a question. The two Texarkana's together equal about 70,000. On their own neither city has a population of 50,000. If the Texas side was to hit 50,000 would they automatically receive more funding or do they already receive that funding since the two cities together have more than 50,000? Not trying to confuse you guys.

Thats an interesting question. I don' t know that much about Texarkana. They are two different cities, right? Do the two cities share government or are they separate entities?

I would guess Texarkana would be two seperate cities but in a lot of ways they work as one. It's a bit unique compared to a lot of other cities seperated by a state line. Doesn't Texarkana share some services or something like that? Just seems like I've heard something about that.

I would guess Texarkana would be two seperate cities but in a lot of ways they work as one. It's a bit unique compared to a lot of other cities seperated by a state line. Doesn't Texarkana share some services or something like that? Just seems like I've heard something about that.

You're right we do work together as one in a lot of ways such as attracting business to the area. We share ambulance and utilities services. Each city has its own police and fire departments. We also have seperate offices for things like welfare.

If they have two separate governments, then they are two different cities. I don't think it would be treated as a city of over 50k anymore than Fayetteville/Springdale was before either city passed 50k.

Archived