Roanoke Transportation

vdogg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an outsider (thru-traveler) to Roanoke, I-81 and proposed I-73 are what i know that are issues to some residents and commerce of the greater Roanoke area. Perhaps also the Blue Ridge Parkway with a lot of new residental construction near the parkways right-of-way is im sure infuriating locals & tree huggers that want to keep the rural/quiet ambiance of the parkway.

• 8 months later...

Hopefully, this will be a sucess, as the Orlando flights apartly are, since they are adding flights to Orlando in November. I think I read Tampa is 11th on the list that Roanokes want to go to, and over 12,000 people fly from the Roanoke to Tampa each year, and regionaly 17,000 people fly to Tampa.

• 2 weeks later...

The Route for I 73 from Roanoke to Martinsville has been determined. A new interchange would be required, possibly from Buck Mountain Rd. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/xp-86826

There is also concern from some that there is commercial development taking place along a stretch of 220 in Roanoke county that would become I73. This development includes the new Super Mal-Wart. I wonder what the possibilities are of having two parallel roads to I73 in areas that have significant commercial and high density residential strip development? I.e from 419/Franklin Road south to the proposed Wal-mart.

The map shows that proposed I-73 is not too far away from Martinsville so i think VDOT can change the proposed route. To my understanding of VA politics, southside has a lot of political power in the state so i believe rural politics can bring I-73 closer towards the bypass.

U.S. Airways has cut fares from Roanoke to New York and Charlotte.http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/88835

Roundtrip tickets to either city from Roanoke are now $198. Thats a good deal for La Guardia, but I think I'd still rather drive the 2.5 hours to Charlotte at that price. Still, lower fares are good news in any case.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of airport expansion, Roanoke Airport officials and the FAA plan to expand or improve the buffer area at the ends of the longer runway. One engineer's plan called for bridges over 581, but the cost of $300 million plus is more than federal funding would provide.

http://www.roanoke.com/business/wb/wb/xp-89910

This is a good thing, but Roanoke's airport needs to expand. Our market is getting stronger and stronger everyday, but we had the chance to be a hub, but we sat around and did nothing, so airlines like US Airways went to Greensboro instead.

From what I heard, back in the early 70s the FAA and some airlines wanted to put a major hub in the Roanoke/Lynchburg 'metro' but the localitied involved fought over where to put it. During all the squabling, the FAA/airlines quietly went down to Charlotte and struck a deal down there for a hub.

From what I heard, back in the early 70s the FAA and some airlines wanted to put a major hub in the Roanoke/Lynchburg 'metro' but the localitied involved fought over where to put it. During all the squabling, the FAA/airlines quietly went down to Charlotte and struck a deal down there for a hub.

And thats true, all we do is sit around...

Anyway, speaking on transportation, Valley Metro has added bike racks, and are thinking of expanding hours, and service on sundays.

Another random question from me, you know the Norfolk Southern line that runs along Rivers Edge and on behind Tanglewood? Is that line still active? I never see trains traveling there anymore it seems.

I haven't seen any in the past year, but thats not suprising considering I've only spent about 30 days in Roanoke this year. But I do recall seeing trains there within the last 5 years or so. I think that line goes down to Starkey Road and into Franklin county, eventually going into NC.

• 1 month later...

Archived